Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah the ole 'We aren't in playoffs burn it all down, execute everyone'. I love me a good fan base over reaction.
What has Joe Barry done to keep his job? Packer defense is ranked near last in many important categories. Do you have any confidence that a Joe Barry defense can hold a lead in the 4th quarter? If you do, then we're not watching the same team.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand but I would love to know why. What would you point to that indicates Nixon has cover skills?
I think he could be a very good safety with a competent DB coach. He's plays hard, hits hard and reacts to the ball. He's also a solid tackler.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was always supposed to be the starting slot corner for this defense. He wasn't forced in due to injury.
Look. I get it. You hate the guy. I like him for his tenacity, toughness and return skills. I'm not changing your mind (nor do I care to) and you're not changing mine. Why waste any more time on this?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has Joe Barry done to keep his job? Packer defense is ranked near last in many important categories. Do you have any confidence that a Joe Barry defense can hold a lead in the 4th quarter? If you do, then we're not watching the same team.
I think he's talking about the "FIRE EVERYONE NOW!!!" crowd.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Look. I get it. You hate the guy. I like him for his tenacity, toughness and return skills. I'm not changing your mind (nor do I care to) and you're not changing mine. Why waste any more time on this?

It’s not hostile. I’m just asking what you’re seeing that leads you to a different conclusion. But we can drop it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not hostile. I’m just asking what you’re seeing that leads you to a different conclusion. But we can drop it.
I didn't mean to imply that it was. But as I said, I like his toughness. I like his aggressiveness. He's a pretty good tackler. I think other guys feed off that. He's valuable as a returner and I think he shows nice potential if he had a proper DB coach, especially as a safety.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like BrokenArrow stated, referring to the 'fire everyone and burn the admin buildings down' crowd.

I have zero confidence in JB's defense. I'm of the position that Joe Barry should have never been hired in the 1st place and I'm still concerned that something will happen in the last 3 weeks to convince MLF that he is his guy going forward and gives him a new contract.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like BrokenArrow stated, referring to the 'fire everyone and burn the admin buildings down' crowd.

I have zero confidence in JB's defense. I'm of the position that Joe Barry should have never been hired in the 1st place and I'm still concerned that something will happen in the last 3 weeks to convince MLF that he is his guy going forward and gives him a new contract.
I don't think that'll happen. However, I DO think we might get a situation where MLF decides to promote in-house, which IMO would be Barry 2.0. If that happens, I just might jump on the fire MLF bandwagon at that point.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he could be a very good safety with a competent DB coach. He's plays hard, hits hard and reacts to the ball. He's also a solid tackler.
I've been pleasantly surprised with Jonathan Joseph. Needs better ball skills though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that it was. But as I said, I like his toughness. I like his aggressiveness. He's a pretty good tackler. I think other guys feed off that. He's valuable as a returner and I think he shows nice potential if he had a proper DB coach, especially as a safety.

Nixon can barely cover as a slot, and doesn't illustrate the cover knowledge and reading I would want out of a Safety. He is a dynamite returner and decent depth slot that your team is better if not being asked to start there IMO.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been pleasantly surprised with Jonathan Joseph. Needs better ball skills though.
I do believe you meant Jonathan Owens? He has shown up at times. It's difficult judging him harshly, because we can't tell if he's failed on plays, or those around him have due to miscommunications.

I'm anxious to see if the communications improves this week. Somehow, I think it will, because it couldn't have been worse than what it was.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon can barely cover as a slot, and doesn't illustrate the cover knowledge and reading I would want out of a Safety. He is a dynamite returner and decent depth slot that your team is better if not being asked to start there IMO.
To each his own.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To each his own.

Not really. I am a fan of Nixon, but his coverage skills in not just watching games live, but especially when slowing down All22 film and even just observing measurable metrics as well by others grading out coverage skills back that up.

BUT let's also be honest for a moment, Nixon is essentially new to NFL starting as a Corner though - quite similar to a rookie really. Last year was the first year he even had over 100 snaps in coverage. So reality is while he isn't a great coverage dude, it really is like watching a rookie grow into the role or fail in the role.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I started to believe we could hold leads against 2nd rate QBs. But after Devito????

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He could get relegated to ST but can we afford that.

Would totally depend on the cost. He's not a reliable punt return man and I'm unsure of how cover skills on teams. That relegates him strictly to KOR duties, which is the least valuable aspect of ST.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would totally depend on the cost. He's not a reliable punt return man and I'm unsure of how cover skills on teams. That relegates him strictly to KOR duties, which is the least valuable aspect of ST.
KOR has become insignificant these days. If we get one of those sub freezing, windy, snowy games the opportunity could be there. But there are few in today's game.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm a HC, I don't want any KOR returned if at all possible. Either let it go into the end zone, or make a fair catch whenever possible in the field of play. Quit running the risk of penalties, and not getting the ball out anywhere near the 25 with a return. Coaches that don't understand that are a little dense in my opinion.

There's too many risks for the potential return. Losing the ball on a fumble, or getting a penalty which often moves the ball inside the 15 yard line. No thanks!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If they would change their way of thinking and doing things with regard to drafting, signing veterans, hiring and retaining coaches and building their team, then they wouldn't need to get rid of front office people and coaches, but in watching them since Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren left they don't seem to be able to change their way of doing things. So, if they can't change then MM should retire now and bring in someone who insists on changing minds or show them the door. I actually like decisions Gute has made except for his first round decisions. I think MLF has a good handle on the offensive strategy. Defense, thumbs down, way down. I would bring in someone to compete against Love. Love isn't an established winning quarterback and he shouldn't be treated as such. He needs to compete and earn that starting job. So hire someone to replace MM now who will insist that management doesn't put the Packers in a straight jacket when it comes to drafting players, hiring and firing coaches and building a roster.
It's his 1st year starting....wtf

and has almost same record as rodgers 1st year starting and also almost same stats

I know it's your opinion Love isn't good but my god some.of you just are so bent out of shape on him you are illogical

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm a HC, I don't want any KOR returned if at all possible. Either let it go into the end zone, or make a fair catch whenever possible in the field of play. Quit running the risk of penalties, and not getting the ball out anywhere near the 25 with a return. Coaches that don't understand that are a little dense in my opinion.

There's too many risks for the potential return. Losing the ball on a fumble, or getting a penalty which often moves the ball inside the 15 yard line. No thanks!
Did you notice how Todd Bowles did that EVERY kickoff Sunday? Even when it looked like they could bring it out over the 30. It was as if he was saying NO injuries, NO penalties, We'll beat you with my QB...And they did.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If they would change their way of thinking and doing things with regard to drafting, signing veterans, hiring and retaining coaches and building their team, then they wouldn't need to get rid of front office people and coaches, but in watching them since Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren left they don't seem to be able to change their way of doing things. So, if they can't change then MM should retire now and bring in someone who insists on changing minds or show them the door. I actually like decisions Gute has made except for his first round decisions. I think MLF has a good handle on the offensive strategy. Defense, thumbs down, way down. I would bring in someone to compete against Love. Love isn't an established winning quarterback and he shouldn't be treated as such. He needs to compete and earn that starting job. So hire someone to replace MM now who will insist that management doesn't put the Packers in a straight jacket when it comes to drafting players, hiring and firing coaches and building a roster.

Yeah he really does suck
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not a winning QB? So it's all about the team and such UNTIL we talk about the QB then it doesn't matter and is merely two columns which matter? Sorry that's naive at best or choice ignorance at worst.

Thank God that wasn't the perspective of the 1998 Colts, 1983 Broncos, 2002/2003 San Diego Chargers, 2020 Eagles, 1980 Niners, 1989 Cowboys.....just for a few off the dome.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing with Joe Barry is that isn't this the defense MLF wants and Joe Barry is implementing his vision? If that is the case doesn't seem like we would get a Jim Schwartz, but rather a Joe Barry part 2 with more bend don't break frustrations.
No thank you. I don't like the guy especially after the way he did Not handle Such when he stomped on our player. I don't like the way he coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.