Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought the ball was placed at the point where the quarterback begins his slide.
Not at the point/location of his feet (when he begins his slide) the point at where the ball is in his hands, when he begins the slide. I have seen this marked short and long. Can be a guessing game for a ref that is chasing the play.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I remember it was that Burnett wanted to keep running but Julius Peppers was so insistent on him sliding that he did so.
Nah, I just watched the replay, and Burnett went down immediately after he picked it. Yeah Peppers had his hand out, but it looked like Burnett was going to go down even if Peppers didn't have his hand out. The entire team thought the game was over at that point.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also have those orange pylons at the 1st down spot. With today's technology, you would think they could put cameras in those.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They also have those orange pylons at the 1st down spot. With today's technology, you would think they could put cameras in those.
Yup

They have the technology to do just about anything they want to do. Sometimes I wonder if they don't because they think that there is a certain quaintness to having human error in the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do as well.

Burnett started running and saw Peppers telling him to get down. I want to say that he even said that after the game.

13:20 mark in video

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Inconsistency at its worst. I saw some spots during the Packer game yesterday that made me scratch my head. Again, half the times the refs aren't in a great position to spot the ball where it actually should be. How difficult is it to have someone in the booth helping them? A billion dollar business that is too cheap to hire a few extra officials to help with a very key aspect of the game.
Yeah that missed lateral later in the game is a good example. That ball was thrown about a yard backwards. I think the refs would have reversed it if they hadn't blown the whistle so soon.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah that missed lateral later in the game is a good example. That ball was thrown about a yard backwards. I think the refs would have reversed it if they hadn't blown the whistle so soon.
I'm surprised that they even reviewed it, if they blew the play dead. Steelers would have argued that they would have recovered it, but stopped due to the whistle.

Really wish the refs would just let plays like that, play out.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I think that's exactly why they didn't reverse it. It was clearly thrown backwards, so I don't buy the "not enough evidence to overturn" explanation.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup

They have the technology to do just about anything they want to do. Sometimes I wonder if they don't because they think that there is a certain quaintness to having human error in the game.
Not quaint, clicks. More discussion, even if slightly negative, keeps a couple of so-so teams in the news cycle.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in the 2010 NFC Championship Sam Shields picked one off in the last minute against the Bears deep in our territory. That would have been the time to go down or get out of bounds. Rookie Sam's instincts were to run it back regardless of the game situation. He went down and nearly fumbled. I do not fault him. With as much time as was on the clock I wish Burnett had the rookie instincts of Sam Shields and took it down the field. Even if he does not score and they stop us we can still get 3 more points or maybe with Seattle loading the box Rodgers goes play action.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not quaint, clicks. More discussion, even if slightly negative, keeps a couple of so-so teams in the news cycle.
Could be, but I would rather take poor officiating out of the mix and discuss poor play calling, execution, etc.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
made a statement firing Dorsey. Time to hear a similar statement from MLF regarding Barry.

The way MLF defends Joe Barry and goes after media questioning anything defensively makes me believe that the only way Barry is fired is if MLF is fired.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way MLF defends Joe Barry and goes after media questioning anything defensively makes me believe that the only way Barry is fired is if MLF is fired.
Remains to be seen. Unfortunately, the defense can be very good from time to time, which might lead him to believe it's just a matter of the "light" going on for the defense and not Barry's on and off game planning.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with this. Seems to me like MLF has had his fair share in criticizing the D during his interviews.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to bring this up, but right now the Packers defense is ranked #9 in both yards and points. Not that bad, especially considering they're on the field a lot. Now they have had the bye, so they fall a bit when you make it yards and points per game, but still.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remains to be seen. Unfortunately, the defense can be very good from time to time, which might lead him to believe it's just a matter of the "light" going on for the defense and not Barry's on and off game planning.
What we would have given to have just an average defense during all those post SB years under Capers.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to bring this up, but right now the Packers defense is ranked #9 in both yards and points. Not that bad, especially considering they're on the field a lot. Now they have had the bye, so they fall a bit when you make it yards and points per game, but still.
IMO - Fields, Ridder(benched), Carr-Winston, GOFF, Jimmy G. (benched), WILSON, COUSINS, Rypien (2nd string then cut), Pickett as opposing QBs has a lot to do with that. IMO.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO - Fields, Ridder(benched), Carr-Winston, GOFF, Jimmy G. (benched), WILSON, COUSINS, Rypien (2nd string then cut), Pickett as opposing QBs has a lot to do with that. IMO.
Oh, I'm sure. Just throwing it out there.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a nice toss. That is why I caught it and threw it back to you.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's play them every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.