Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
RIP Fritz.

He and Holgrem had such a good balanced approach and I got the feeling that Fritz was very open to what Mike wanted, but Mike knew the guy could coach. I think Fritz was kind of the one who started moving DB's up closer to the LOS and letting them freelance in a LB position. I can only imagine what he could do with the players that Barry has.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard turned down the Packer DC job. Perhaps he thought he was going to eventually coach the Badgers. That didn't happen so it would be a good idea for someone in the Packer organization to quietly talk to Jim Leanhard again to see if he might want the job if Barry can't turn it around.
I'm guessing the Packers gave him a low offer, so he turned it down. Similar to how the Packers gave Darren Rizzi a low offer for the ST coach position in 2019, and he turned it down. Joe Barry probably has a relatively low salary too, as the Packers know nobody else is going to hire him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RIP Fritz.

He and Holgrem had such a good balanced approach and I got the feeling that Fritz was very open to what Mike wanted, but Mike knew the guy could coach. I think Fritz was kind of the one who started moving DB's up closer to the LOS and letting them freelance in a LB position. I can only imagine what he could do with the players that Barry has.
That worked well because we had a pass rush that could also force QBs to act sooner than they wanted. When Randy Moss showed up as a Viking the equation changed dramatically.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm guessing the Packers gave him a low offer, so he turned it down. Similar to how the Packers gave Darren Rizzi a low offer for the ST coach position in 2019, and he turned it down. Joe Barry probably has a relatively low salary too, as the Packers know nobody else is going to hire him.
Not that it matters much, but I would love to see what assistant coaches are paid. Seems to be a well kept secret in the NFL. I remember reading that assistant/position coaches were around $400K/year and Coordinators were around the $1M mark.

MLF is being paid around $5M/year if memory serves me correct.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fritz was good and used his players well. I never liked it when he tried those 3 man rushes as he did when Owens caught that one from Steve Young.
I agree. Anyone that uses a 3man rush should not be allowed to coach. There is never a good reason for it. I hope to never see it on a Packer team again.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it matters much, but I would love to see what assistant coaches are paid. Seems to be a well kept secret in the NFL. I remember reading that assistant/position coaches were around $400K/year and Coordinators were around the $1M mark.

MLF is being paid around $5M/year if memory serves me correct.
Fangio is the highest paid D Coordinator (Miami) at $4.5mil/year.

Leonard will get paid $1 mil IF he doesn't coach NFL or FBS in '23. FBS head coaches in '20-'21 averaged $2.7mil/year. Have to imagine it's over $3mil/yr now...and Leonard wants an NCAA HC gig (imho).

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Anyone that uses a 3man rush should not be allowed to coach. There is never a good reason for it. I hope to never see it on a Packer team again.
Especially when you have Reggie White as one of the pass rushers. He was often double teamed. Young slipped going back to pass. One more rusher may have forced a sack or a desperation throw with no time left. Before the 1998 season we also opted to let 14 year veteran safety Eugene Robinson go and went with the young Darren Sharper. Robinson was old but he signed with Atlanta and had a good season en route to another SB. He and LeRoy Butler made a good team. I sometimes wonder if he could have helped to prevent that TD.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fritz was good and used his players well. I never liked it when he tried those 3 man rushes as he did when Owens caught that one from Steve Young.
Well, nobody's perfect.
And yeah, having Reggie White on the team would help anyone.

D

Deleted member 6794

My only hope is that the tension between and Barry and Gray (which from reports led to more aggressive man coverage) was the source of the poor performance.

Unfortunately Gray might have been the reason the defense played more aggressive man coverage. With him gone it's possible Barry returns to a less aggressive style of play.

Overall, I haven't really been too excited about some of the Packers DB coaches in the last 5 or so years. Started with Joe Whitt Jr., then Jason Simmons and finally Jerry Gray. All 3 of those guys were promoted within the Packers system and then when they got to the top, they didn't last long at all.

For the record, Gray wasn't promoted within the Packers system. He was hired as the DB coach after he had spent six years with the Vikings in the same position.

If I'm MLF I'd give Barry 4 games maximum to show significant improvement of the D (compared to '22 averages) OR Barry is gone.

I don't expect MLF to even think about moving on from Barry after only four games no matter what. Otherwise he wouldn't have held on to him in the first place.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Leonard will get paid $1 mil IF he doesn't coach NFL or FBS in '23. FBS head coaches in '20-'21 averaged $2.7mil/year. Have to imagine it's over $3mil/yr now...and Leonard wants an NCAA HC gig (imho).
I agree on Leonhard being in no hurry to pass up the "severance" pay of $1M, while he waits for a job that he covets. Time at home with his wife and kids, while on a long "paid vacation", hard to top that. He was making $1.5M as the Badger DC, his next gig will be for more $$ and most likely as a HC at a slightly smaller school or as the DC of a top 10 school. I also agree, that I see him staying in the NCAA and passing on the NFL, at least for now.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on Leonhard being in no hurry to pass up the "severance" pay of $1M, while he waits for a job that he covets.
I was going to say that Packer DC should be a coveted spot, but considering its recent history, maybe not. :unsure:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 338 lb Ford & 330 lb Slaton there's absolutely no reason the DL should get pushed around. Early downs at least one should be plugging the middle. Goal line both should be over the center. If I'm MLF I'd give Barry 4 games maximum to show significant improvement of the D (compared to '22 averages) OR Barry is gone.

No reason why both Love & a new DC can't grow together in '23 and be playoff ready for '24.
I like your idea. 4 games and then ban Barry from coaching the defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wisconsin defensive coordinator Jim Leonhardhas turned down an opportunity to serve the same role for the Green Bay Packers.

Leonhard told Tom Oates of the Wisconsin State Journal he is going to remain with the Badgers in 2021.

"It was me choosing UW," he said. "I want to stay at UW. I want to be at this level right now. Extremely flattered. Awesome opportunity. But it was not the right time for me to go back to the NFL.”

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your idea. 4 games and then ban Barry from coaching the defense.
Totally agree. If the D is floundering, for any reason, get a new coordinator early in the season. No extra chances; no excuses.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I seen that I knew they had a first coming. In that down and short why is anyone 7-8 yards off Los?
That's the way Barry plays, always, with CBs well off the LOS. Look at that pic above. The entire flat is uncovered with only 2-3 yards needed for a first down. It's the same as last year, and it's maddening.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that LaFleur can be ok with this. Atlanta's wide receivers are very middling at best imo.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that LaFleur can be ok with this. Atlanta's wide receivers are very middling at best imo.
What's he gonna do? He should have fired Barry after the last season. Now what? When Desmond Ridder and some no-name receivers can beat you, there's a big problem. I think it's the almost constant use of soft zone with corners playing well off the LOS.

Is there another coach on staff who could step up? It's too soon, but something has to give if this continues. The Falcons are an ok team, but not that good. And how does the D give up 172 yards to Robinson when they know he's running?

Add two dropped INTs, one a sure pic 6, and it's time to take a closer look and make changes, somewhere.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Disagree, London is crazy gifted and with his size there isn't many CBs in the league that will be able to high point better than him. Their best are their two TEs for sure, but that Mack Hollins is also a veteran guy I really liked in FA if we wanted on, as he showed out for the Raiders somewhat last year and proved capable of maybe being that 400-650 yard contributor. He high points great too.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Disagree, London is crazy gifted and with his size there isn't many CBs in the league that will be able to high point better than him. Their best are their two TEs for sure, but that Mack Hollins is also a veteran guy I really liked in FA if we wanted on, as he showed out for the Raiders somewhat last year and proved capable of maybe being that 400-650 yard contributor. He high points great too.
They are all limited in their skill set imo. There are no all pros there. Robinson is very good. He's their best playmaker imo.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are all limited in their skill set imo. There are no all pros there. Robinson is very good. He's their best playmaker imo.
And the Falcons hardly played mistake-free football. There was one INT which should have been three with a pic 6. The game primarily turned on the Packers being unable to stop or even slow the run.

Finally, Barry continues his use of soft zone. Why is he still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts