Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've given up a billion points in the playoffs and somehow Capers still manages to stick around. I love it! Blank isn't afraid to hold ppl accountable!! Must be nice.

Yeah! That's what this team is missing, a reactionary owner that needs to vent his anger!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There could totally be more to the story that explains why these moves were made, but if those coaches were fired simply because of the Patriots' comeback, that's plain stupid. The Falcons did about as good a job on the Pats as any could expect for three quarters and the offense couldn't close the deal despite several opportunities.

D

Deleted member 6794

There could totally be more to the story that explains why these moves were made, but if those coaches were fired simply because of the Patriots' comeback, that's plain stupid. The Falcons did about as good a job on the Pats as any could expect for three quarters and the offense couldn't close the deal despite several opportunities.

I guess the Falcons made those moves because the defense struggled for most of the season and the collapse in the Super Bowl was only tipped the scales.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess the Falcons made those moves because the defense struggled for most of the season and the collapse in the Super Bowl was only tipped the scales.

A few thoughts on that.

First, it's ultimately Quinn's defense. So it would seem like those guys are just scapegoats, if they are indeed being let go because of the defensive performance. I'll say again, there could easily be more going on.

And secondly, the defense struggled but also showed obvious signs of improvement. 5 of their final 7 opponents scored less than 20 points. They held the Seahawks and Packers to 20 and 21 respectively. And they really reached their crescendo in the SB with an impressive performance, but the offense couldn't pick them up.

To start the game, New England went Punt, Punt, Lost Fumble, Punt, Pick 6, FG, Punt.

It was on the Patriots' 8th drive that they finally scored their TD to get to 28-9.

From that point forward, the Falcons offense went Punt, Lost Fumble, Punt (after 1st & 10 at the NE 22), Punt.

Their offensive ineptitude forced the defense to be out there for 93 snaps. No defense can hold up for 93 snaps. That's basically a game and a half.

In short, I'd say it was the offense that collapsed.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Apparently Quinn had to help the D coordinator with defense throughout the season. This on top of being the H.C. Was going to happen regardless. ( Mike Lombardi said on Eisen show).

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah! That's what this team is missing, a reactionary owner that needs to vent his anger!

How would firing Capers be "reactionary"? His D has given up 44 or more points in four of the 7 playoff losses. His D hasn't been " great" since the SB year.

I personally don't mind if he stays. However it's absurd to think firing Capers is " reactionary".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Apparently Quinn had to help the D coordinator with defense throughout the season. This on top of being the H.C. Was going to happen regardless. ( Mike Lombardi said on Eisen show).

Funny, I was just going to post the same thing because I heard Lombardi say it on the Ringer NFL show. He indicated that this was going to happen regardless of what happened in the SB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No it can't be.. It only can be the Def collapsed

D

Deleted member 6794

How would firing Capers be "reactionary"? His D has given up 44 or more points in four of the 7 playoff losses. His D hasn't been " great" since the SB year.

I personally don't mind if he stays. However it's absurd to think firing Capers is " reactionary".

Firing Capers would not be reactionary but because of a lack of talent on that side of the ball I highly doubt it would yield better results.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missed it huh? Bro I'm not saying after a single game!! This is multiple times Packers have given up tons of points in a playoff LOSS!! Pay attention.

Yeah, see, I pay attention to entire seasons when I make judgments. You like to make judgments off of a small selection of games. One is a better indicator of actual performance....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Uhm, the fact that JUST LAST SEASON his defense was good (only reason the Packers made the playoffs) but hey, why let facts come into play when we can be reactionary and SHOUT LOUDLY ABOUT LOSSES!!!! I mean, I could point out how a terrible group of defenders kept the Giants to 13 points in the playoffs this year, or how the Packers gave up only 18 points to the Redskins last year, or held the Cowboys to 8 points below their average in 2014.

See, when you're team doesn't win the Super Bowl, unless it's a team built on an elite defense, the team will generally give up a lot of points in a loss in the playoffs. The Giants had a VERY good defense this season but gave up 38 points to the Packers, does that ONE game mean they were actually a terrible defense?!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or, fol
Yeah, see, I pay attention to entire seasons when I make judgments. You like to make judgments off of a small selection of games. One is a better indicator of actual performance....

Which post-2010 seasons are you talking about?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or, fol

Which post-2010 seasons are you talking about?

I mean, I could point out how a terrible group of defenders kept the Giants to 13 points in the playoffs this year, or how the Packers gave up only 18 points to the Redskins last year, or held the Cowboys to 8 points below their average in 2014.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I mean, I could point out how a terrible group of defenders kept the Giants to 13 points in the playoffs this year, or how the Packers gave up only 18 points to the Redskins last year, or held the Cowboys to 8 points below their average in 2014.

But....that would be reaching? ;)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I'm completely lost. I took your

Now I'm completely lost. I took your reply to Rodell to mean only seasons counted. In response to my question of which seasons you thought were good, you respond with specific games. Can you re-state your position?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I'm completely lost. I took your

Now I'm completely lost. I took your reply to Rodell to mean only seasons counted. In response to my question of which seasons you thought were good, you respond with specific games. Can you re-state your position?

I've mentioned the seasons before, go to Football Outsiders and you can look at their ratings of team defense by season. They actually adjust for difficulty of opponent. I think, since 2010, the packers have been below-average (i.e., worse than 16th) twice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My overall problem with Dom Capers defenses is the fact that they far too often become complete garbage against a good offense and/or good QB. I think us Packer fans expected the same out of the Falcons defense in the playoffs and maybe they were saving their collapse for the second half of the Super Bowl, but when the Falcons faced AR and a very hot offense, their defense shut it down that hot offense. Blame it on Capers not having enough talented players or injuries, but generally speaking, Capers defenses too often break down when facing good offenses or a QB that catches fire (chicken or egg thing). The Lions and Cowboys games were perfect examples of this in 2016. It appeared that the Packers defense was playing pretty good in both games, but once the other teams QB and OC figured things out, the same defensive unit that was previously stopping them, crumbled. Talent or coaching?

No doubt in my mind TT needs to get Capers more talent, so that is on TT. However, Capers for whatever reason, can't seem to get the most of his defense for a whole game and especially in games against good offenses.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, it would be factual.

What I was implying is that pulling a few examples from a large sample is reaching to try and make a point.

I've mentioned the seasons before, go to Football Outsiders and you can look at their ratings of team defense by season. They actually adjust for difficulty of opponent. I think, since 2010, the packers have been below-average (i.e., worse than 16th) twice.

2 out of 7 years below average, 1 year top 10, other 4 years hovering around average. People wonder why we don't go to more Super Bowls?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I was implying is that pulling a few examples from a large sample is reaching to try and make a point.

2 out of 7 years below average, 1 year top 10, other 4 years hovering around average. People wonder why we don't go to more Super Bowls?

In regards to your first comment, do you not see the humor in that? Pointing out that the defense has been bad in a few playoff losses as compared to entire seasons is an EXACT example of pulling a few examples from a large sample.

In regards to your second point, do you seriously expect a team to consistently have a top-10 defense EVERY year when the only All-Pro on the team has been Matthews, and that was years ago? Teams need generational players on the defensive side in order to consistently stay top-10, defense is much harder to maintain than offense IF a team has a great QB. The QB can literally make every player on the offensive side of the ball better, there is no position on defense that can do that; the defense is much more reliant on having multiple great players.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In regards to your first comment, do you not see the humor in that? Pointing out that the defense has been bad in a few playoff losses as compared to entire seasons is an EXACT example of pulling a few examples from a large sample.

You were the one using the Giants and Cowboys game as 2 examples to as to why the defense wasn't really as bad as most think. Not sure who is only pointing that the defense has been bad in only a couple of playoff loses, I think they were bad most of 2016 and inconsistently average or worse since 201o.

In regards to your second point, do you seriously expect a team to consistently have a top-10 defense EVERY year when the only All-Pro on the team has been Matthews, and that was years ago? Teams need generational players on the defensive side in order to consistently stay top-10, defense is much harder to maintain than offense IF a team has a great QB. The QB can literally make every player on the offensive side of the ball better, there is no position on defense that can do that; the defense is much more reliant on having multiple great players.

Do I expect a team to be a top 10 defense every year? No. Do I expect a better defense then the ones that the Packers have been fielding under Capers and TT? Yes. Do I expect more Super Bowls? No, not until they figure out how to fix a very inconsistent defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers defense has only finished in the top 15 of Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings twice over the last six seasons. While I mostly blame that on a lack of talent the unit has mostly performed below average since winning the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.