Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
A

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, so what adjustments should have been made today? 27 points in a half to 10 seems like an adjustment to me.

There's also like 15 other coaches involved in getting a defense ready. During games, Capers man job is to call plays. It's hard to take any fire Capers post seriously without any backing it up by pointing out bad calls. There's really no other way to point it all on Capers.

So giving up 500 yds to SD, then 500 to Den and only 400+ to Car we will say it's an improvement? It's like saying we don't suck as much. He is the leader of the defense and it's his job to get the defensive team ready to play. The other coaches will follow his lead. Till he is gone this defense will continue to suck it up. Every single game, we hear how that's the first time that team has scored that many points, ran that many yards, passed for that many, longest play, etc...
Same question for you, what adjustments has he made to save his job?

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What calls did Capers make that were bad in those games?

Pack up 7-3, early 2nd quarter, with momentum on their side. Green & Gold had held the Panthers to 3 after a poor opening series and then a punt. The D has scattershot QB Cam Newton facing a 3rd and 16 at his own 25 and Dom calls a ... get ready for it, 3-man rush. Shockingly, no one comes close to touching Cam and (with 2 of Dom's top CBs injured and on the sidelines), Dom's D looks confused in the back end and gives up a huge play to someone called Jericho Cotchery.

Does anyone recall the 3-man rush in Seattle in the NFC Championship last year? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your job as DC is not just a mad scientist drawing up a scheme....its also about teaching. Dom's defense doesn't work unless every single veteran starter is out there playing. Anytime there is an injury the communication goes to hell in the secondary and there are busted zones left and right. When players don't know what they are doing your teaching is not getting through to them.

The TD to funchess with Randall blanketing him was not on Dom, that was on Funchess being bigger, stronger and Cam putting the ball right on the money.

The TD to G.Reg was 100 percent on him IMO because the DB and the LB just starred at each other not knowing who was supposed to cover him. That happened on numerous other plays. Not acceptable. These guys should not need a PHD in order to run your exotic zone scheme. The mental breakdowns on D are unnacceptable and have happened for YEARS under him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So giving up 500 yds to SD, then 500 to Den and only 400+ to Car we will say it's an improvement? It's like saying we don't suck as much. He is the leader of the defense and it's his job to get the defensive team ready to play. The other coaches will follow his lead. Till he is gone this defense will continue to suck it up. Every single game, we hear how that's the first time that team has scored that many points, ran that many yards, passed for that many, longest play, etc...
Same question for you, what adjustments has he made to save his job?

Would make sense for you to answer that question first, but I can respond to it.

I was just pointing out that when they allow 27 points in the first half and then 10 in the second, that sure seems like an adjustment in something. Maybe there wasn't any and the players just did their jobs better. I'll admit I don't know defensives well enough to know what.

I wasn't saying he's made any adjustments that should save him his job. My premise was today was that Haha made big mistakes that lead to 3 TDs. You haven't provided any play calls to show how Capers calls lead to a poor performance or backed up your statement yet that he doesn't make adjustments.

When a normally good player messes up a lot, that tells me it's on the player and not the coordinator.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack up 7-3, early 2nd quarter, with momentum on their side. Green & Gold had held the Panthers to 3 after a poor opening series and then a punt. The D has scattershot QB Cam Newton facing a 3rd and 16 at his own 25 and Dom calls a ... get ready for it, 3-man rush. Shockingly, no one comes close to touching Cam and (with 2 of Dom's top CBs injured and on the sidelines), Dom's D looks confused in the back end and gives up a huge play to someone called Jericho Cotchery.

Does anyone recall the 3-man rush in Seattle in the NFC Championship last year? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

You mean the play when Haha left the WR wide open? I guarantee you the play call was not for that to happen.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
If I see things right, the Packers D was second in the league in 2010. Since then they have been middling to abysmal. In 2011 they ranked dead last for a while. So what changed, if it wasn't Capers scheme and/or play calling?

Sky King

Reaction score
Could another coach get more out of this defensive roster? Perhaps. But I do not see the talent overall across this defensive roster for it ever to be special. Matthews is a true All-Pro. Peppers once was and he's still quite good for a player his age. That's it. Beyond those two are a lot of guys who range from above average but with flaws (Daniels, Shields on the high-end) to below average (Palmer on the low-end who, after all, was a DE when drafted). It's not a good defense just because of who they are (Packers). And, unfortunately, some of them seem to be injured an awful lot, too.

The missing link may be that TT does not use FA the way Belicheck uses it. Considering how late they draft every year it could be an equalizer. It's a tool TT seems averse to pulling out of his toolbox. All available options to strengthen this Packer defense are not exercised. That's a shame since they get so close some seasons. Just being a little bit better may have been enough for them to reach that tipping-point in some seasons, and maybe even in games like today's.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean the play when Haha left the WR wide open? I guarantee you the play call was not for that to happen.

I give up, if you are happy with Dom's 3-man rush call there is nothing more to discuss.

I'm sure there are some who blamed the players for all of the special teams problems last season and lament the "unfair" Slocum firing

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give up, if you are happy with Dom's 3-man rush call there is nothing more to discuss.

I'm sure there are some who blamed the players for all of the special teams problems last season and lament the "unfair" Slocum firing

If Haha covers his man, the 3 man rush isn't an issue. Can't see how to blame a play call when a player completely messes up on it.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could had Zimmer. Zimmer coaches his d-backs to play in the same stadium the game is in. Keeps it simple. And they actually can tackle.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The death of any organization is a mindset of "if it always worked in the past, it must work now." Perhaps Coach Capers needs to unload his old Pittsburgh ways and start fresh with some new thinking that will adapt to the rule changes of today's NFL and also the roster changes to the Packers.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not interested in going back and forth with anyone, but here's my thinking:
(1) Coordinators must implement a scheme they can execute with the personnel on hand. Sure, the players have to execute, but if they fail to do so over a large enough sample, it becomes pretty reasonable to question the coaching...
(2) I know injuries to the secondary have made the past couple weeks tough, but I didn't come to my opinion over the past couple weeks. 4+ years of mediocre (or worse) defense is a pretty damning.
(3) The organization can't fix its roster shortcomings in a single offseason, but it can replace a coach rather easily with one of two outcomes: performance improves or it declines.
(4) For the Packers, I think pulling the lever on a new defensive coordinator is a low risk proposition. It can't get much worse against high-caliber competition and there's something to be said for shaking up the status quo and disrupting complacency. A new General, with fresh energy and ideas is probably the best way for this organization to wring better performance out of this group... Should've happened this past offseason...

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I can only assume Capers continues to wear the steel-wool-for-wig because it’s actually a beaver pelt from his days as a trapper trading with the Iroquois during the French and Indian War. He is old. He should be defending forts. His defensive scheme is to “prevent the big play” by essentially only allowing big plays when we really cannot afford them."

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-s...e7bevQ.1&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Perhaps with this being approximately the 871st time in the Capers era that that was not supposed to happen but did, maybe he could consider that he has mediocre cover safeties that frequently get lost on 3rd and forever and adjust his 3rd and long playcalling accordingly.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps with this being approximately the 871st time in the Capers era that that was not supposed to happen but did, maybe he could consider that he has mediocre cover safeties that frequently get lost on 3rd and forever and adjust his 3rd and long playcalling accordingly.

Like not put his safeties deep on 3rd and long?

Haha has been solid this year. There was no reason for Capers to suspect he'd mess up that play.

It really shouldn't matter much what is called on 3rd and 16 as it's not hard to make a stop on it.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like not put his safeties deep on 3rd and long?

Haha has been solid this year. There was no reason for Capers to suspect he'd mess up that play.

It really should matter much what is called on 3rd and 16 as it's not hard to make a stop on it.

Yet, it seems to be hard for us.

PFF has HHCD as the 35th ranked safety this year which I'm sure will drop after this week. 'Solid' is a stretch.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To what? Put his safeties in bump and run? A safety that is supposed to be as deep as the deepest receiver can not be 10 yards behind the play leaving the middle of the field to throw and run to.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to wonder if we are throwing away Rodgers' prime with Capers as DC. Capers has been here for six full years, and the defense was our downfall in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and to a lesser extent last year. Capers was instrumental in winning the Super Bowl in 2010, but it's been years of disappointment at this point. Last year is starting to looking more like an aberration.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, it seems to be hard for us.

PFF has HHCD as the 35th ranked safety this year which I'm sure will drop after this week. 'Solid' is a stretch.

Is that only among FS or does it count both FS and SS?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to wonder if we are throwing away Rodgers' prime with Capers as DC. Capers has been here for six full years, and the defense was our downfall in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and to a lesser extent last year. Capers was instrumental in winning the Super Bowl in 2010, but it's been years of disappointment at this point. Last year is starting to looking more like an aberration.

In 2011, the offense was just as bad if not worse than the defense in the playoffs with 4 turnovers and only 20 points. In 2013, an injury depleted defense without Clay and many starters held a good offense to 23 while the offense put up only 20. Can't say the defense was the reason for a downfall in either of those seasons.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To what? Put his safeties in bump and run? A safety that is supposed to be as deep as the deepest receiver can not be 10 yards behind the play leaving the middle of the field to throw and run to.

I wasn't suggesting bringing in the safeties, but bringing in more LBs for pressure and conceding the intermediate 8-10 yard routes should have prevented a conversion in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.