Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
There is a lot of ragged, up-and-down football played across the league during the first two or three weeks. It happens every year. I would point to starters getting limited action in preseason as the main culprit. In the case of the Packers, they're running new defensive looks that have not even seen preseason snaps, an approach I do not agree with by the way.

That's not to say I expect elite defensive play out of this squad. What it does say is that putting a lot of weight on the first 6 halves of football is probably a mistake.
Interesting take on the subject. I know the Vikings have had to learn a complete new defense from scratch. They seem to be doing much better than last year. Maybe there are just faster learners. :)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Interesting take on the subject. I know the Vikings have had to learn a complete new defense from scratch. They seem to be doing much better than last year. Maybe there are just faster learners. :)

Well if you consider the Patriots running all over you better then I suppose.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well if you consider the Patriots running all over you better then I suppose.
They didn't. Well they did rush for a 150 yards. But all told they only had 292 yards of offense. And the reality is that Brady and the offense were only responsible for 16 points. If you really want to count that one yard rush after the interception return it would be 23. But really, he should have made it in the on the return. :)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They didn't. Well they did rush for a 150 yards. But all told they only had 292 yards of offense. And the reality is that Brady and the offense were only responsible for 16 points. If you really want to count that one yard rush after the interception return it would be 23. But really, he should have made it in the on the return. :)

Well it was far from an impressive defensive performance overall. New England ran the ball and made plays mostly when they had too. I guess they were okay considering Cassell threw three picks.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well it was far from an impressive defensive performance overall. New England ran the ball and made plays mostly when they had too. I guess they were okay considering Cassell threw three picks.
Well I felt pretty good because Brady only had one TD drive.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig Capers: Jets only had 10 players on the field on their 39-yard read option. Capers said it goofed #Packers up as they looked for slot WR."

Really, Dom? Having an 11 on 10 advantage "goofed" you up? You were a man up and this somehow caused all 11 guys to not be in the area as the runner ran downfield with no Packer even near him?

The game has passed this guy by.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Serious question -- when was the last time you can remember thinking, "Wow, Dom really had a better gameplan than the opposing offensive coordinator. He just outschemed him and knew exactly what to expect."

I can't even remember the last time. There's certainly been numerous times I've thought the opposite in the last couple years.

October 20th, 2013. Almost a full year ago. That's how long it has been since we gave up less than 21 points in a game. Against the Cleveland Browns, at home.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The construction of the defense is a top 5 draft pick (Hawk), a top 10 pick (Raji, though now on IR, but he was terrible last year anyway), and numerous other first round (Matthews, Perry, Jones, Clinton-Dix) and other early picks (Burnett, Hayward). In addition, free agency has been utilized numerous times to try to help improve the defense, while the offense almost never gets help through free agency. Peppers himself has been an elite player throughout his career and was the 2nd overall pick in his draft.

Rodgers, Sherrod, and Bulaga are the only former 1st round picks for our elite offense. No top 20 picks.

If the defense isn't improving, it certainly hasn't been from a lack of effort to dedicate resources to it. Either Capers is simply unable to utilize the personnel he's given effectively, or Thompson has been very poor at both drafting defense and utilizing free agency to improve the defense. You tell me.

Maybe it's poor position coaches. I really don't know. I'm not qualified to answer that question. Whatever the case may be, something just isn't working with this defensive system. We thought they were starting to turn it around last season, only for that disastrous second half of the season. They've been given a long enough leash on the coattails of the Super Bowl season. At some point, there needs to be production again.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I will not pile on the fire Capers, but I would like to see the Packers get a O'cordinator so MM can focus not only on the offenses, but have more input on defense, fire someone? 1 and done will probably do it to some packer coach..

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys plz stop blaming Capers, what the D needs is heart and toughness, besides daniels and clay i dont see noone getting off blocks. what frustrates me the most is aj hawk hes starting middle line backer he should only be in on coverage plays he just lacks the strength to be in the middle he gets blown up like every play. Another one is Y are the line backers playing so far back on short distant plays this is y we cant get of the field on 3rd downs. I just want to give Props to that man jordy for last game that man has HANDS he bailed AR out on a couple bad throws.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people seem to get really upset about yardage the defense gives up every year but pay no mind to the points

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We just gave up 235 rushing yards to the worst rushing team in the NFL in Chicago; at least they used to be before this week. Chicago's RB's combined for a 5.2 YPC average.

Yeah I know I am worried about the run D too but we all know Chicago is a top 5 offense and Forte and there run game were going to get it going sooner or later. We held em to 17 points.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
In fact a couple of early drives got extended because of bad call by the reffs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been saying it for three yrs going on 4 The offense will need to be at it's best every week . Kinda feel sorry for Rodgers because if he has a mediocre game we usually lose because there's no way the defense can be trusted. Someone mentioned yards and not points but Uhhh it doesn't matter if the other team is converting and keeping your offense on the side line. Case and point last weeks loss. They can never seem to get off the field at critical times. Ever

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This defense needs to get a few 3 and outs. They gave up 33 1st downs and we have to be close to the worst in the league in opponents 3rd and 4th down conversion rate.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The defense didn't force 1 punt all game. Sure, turnovers are nice, but they can't be depended on in place of stops and we're not going to play against Cutler every week. Also, notice that the turnovers didn't start until the Bears were forced to force it because the offense had us ahead.

Also, yards allowed should not be ignored completely, and points allowed is not an end-all stat. There is a point of looking at points allowed in too much of a tunnel vision, which I believe is happening here. Here are are the TOP's for each drive the Bears had: 8:30, 5:10, 6:21, 1:03 (end of half), 3:28, 2:55, 4:08, 4:47 (end of game). The Bears took points off the board at the end of the half, they had their backup in at the end of the game, and the Packers allowed lengthy drives. It's pretty easy to only give up 7 points in the 1st quarter when you allow the first drive to go 8:30 as a defense. I wish there was a points per drive stat.

I would by lying if I said I wasn't concerned about our run D, especially if we get behind to much. The season stats are horrible but the flow of every game is different. I kind of figured going into it the Bears would be able to move the ball. Last year we gave up 27 and 33 to them so I like 17 a lot better. I think you have to figure in the red zone numbers as well. If we can play good red zone defense and force some FG's along with getting a couple turnovers we have a chance.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Also, if we talk stats, right now were ranked 5th vs the pass. That's a pleasant surprise.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense didn't force 1 punt all game. Sure, turnovers are nice, but they can't be depended on in place of stops and we're not going to play against Cutler every week. Also, notice that the turnovers didn't start until the Bears were forced to force it because the offense had us ahead.

Also, yards allowed should not be ignored completely, and points allowed is not an end-all stat. There is a point of looking at points allowed in too much of a tunnel vision, which I believe is happening here. Here are are the TOP's for each drive the Bears had: 8:30, 5:10, 6:21, 1:03 (end of half), 3:28, 2:55, 4:08, 4:47 (end of game). The Bears took points off the board at the end of the half, they had their backup in at the end of the game, and the Packers allowed lengthy drives. It's pretty easy to only give up 7 points in the 1st quarter when you allow the first drive to go 8:30 as a defense. I wish there was a points per drive stat.

I would actually say points are pretty much the only stat I care about at the end of the day. Well until they start giving out playoff births based on something else other than the final score.

We could finish 10th in points scored and 29th in yardage and people would scream about the D yet again.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers D has stunk in most of his seasons in GB. But the one positive thing is that the D has usually been able to generate a lot of turnovers. That helps the D get away with giving up tons of yardage. But the D is always in trouble if they can't get any turnovers.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, if we talk stats, right now were ranked 5th vs the pass. That's a pleasant surprise.

Not when teams can run it down your throat like today. Had the Bears defense made some stops we would've been in trouble because we had no answer for forte they could've ran Forte the entire game ... he would've broken the single game rushing record. The holes were huge and it was hard to watch the run defense . Matthews and Peppers have to be all pro EVERY week and stop having padestrian days like today where neither hardly did anything. If not for the int I would've thought .Matthews was out of the game . He shoulda took the day off to rest that groin because he was a no show today.

On another note the middle of our defense has to be amongst the worse I've ever seen. I don't know why the line can't get off blocks? This goes all the way to last year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not when teams can run it down your throat like today. Had the Bears defense made some stops we would've been in trouble because we had no answer for forte they could've ran Forte the entire game ... he would've broken the single game rushing record. The holes were huge and it was hard to watch the run defense . Matthews and Peppers have to be all pro EVERY week and stop having padestrian days like today where neither hardly did anything. If not for the int I would've thought .Matthews was out of the game . He shoulda took the day off to rest that groin because he was a no show today.

On another note the middle of our defense has to be amongst the worse I've ever seen. I don't know why the line can't get off blocks? This goes all the way to last year.

The D-line has been inconsistent and I can't compare it to last year because other then Daniels it's different up front with who is playing. As far as guys getting beat on the D-line I really don't know what is to blame. I am torn between Capers system and nose tackle issue along with ILB play but I even seen Burnett get trucked again today. It's not Capers fault Burnett got ran over. There are definitely guys on the defense I would like to see replaced. There are also guys that I think we reached for in recent drafts on defense, especially the D-line.

Can we win a Super Bowl this year with Capers and current personnel? If they can be good in the red zone and keep getting some turnovers I think we have a shot is my opinion. We roll as Aaron Rodgers rolls.

I've been saying for a few years the defense needs to get meaner and more athletic in the middle.

Last edited:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that this Capers stuff has been boiling for a long time, but I don't really get all the recent hate.

The Lions had the 4th ranked offense in the NFL when we headed there. Our defense held them to 10 points.

Chicago now has the ninth ranked offense, I can't find what they were before our game but its totally possible they too were a top 5 offense. We held them to 17 points.

I don't know how anyone could of expected this defense to play better the past few weeks considering the caliber of offenses they've went up against. 13.5 ppg against these explosive offenses is taken every single day in my book.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers defence seems to be all about bending not breaking last year we let teams get into the redzone far to easy but stiffen near the endzone, this is hard to watch and at times in the past, especially playoff games we have bent and broke...arizona and SF...i really dont see what capers is tring to create with our defence..maybe someone can tell me what philosophy we are trying to work towards...i dont see any in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts