Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Right, but you can't judge how one team played in week 15 of last year to one that played in week 1 of this year, by simply looking at the score. There are multiple scenarios to look at. For example, last year our offense put up 38 points and was able to sustain drive after drive from the first snap, to keep the D rested. That wasn't the case on Sunday. Our offense was maligned for much of the first half, leaving the D on the field often. I'll take this year's play in this matchup, with all things factored, over last year, any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
You make some really good points, but the defense wasn't on the field much at all in the game on Sunday. Which is fine, that's what we want. Part of it was due to the defense getting a lot of three and outs, which they deserve a ton of credit for, but even though the offense wasn't scoring, they were typically moving the ball.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make some really good points, but the defense wasn't on the field much at all in the game on Sunday. Which is fine, that's what we want. Part of it was due to the defense getting a lot of three and outs, which they deserve a ton of credit for, but even though the offense wasn't scoring, they were typically moving the ball.

I was particularity talking about the first half, not necessarily the entire game. The offense found rhythm in the second half which is expected for game 1. Rarely is the offense ahead of the defense in week 1. But you are right, we only gave up 48 offensive plays, 26 of which were in the first half. That's a lot of 3 & outs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess we should just use a 3 man rush all the time according to your statistics. I guess maybe The Packers could just hire you and you could call all the plays sitting on the couch and looking at your computer.

What a stupid response to being presented with facts there are situations in which to use a three man rush.

While I also am not ready to crown the defense yet I do think you undersold the Seattle offense a bit. This is still an offense with 6 Pro-Bowlers on that side of the ball. They are working with a piecemeal OL this season but overall they'll be fine offensively.

I'm optimistic about the defense moving forward as well but like many other posters will hold judgement at least until seeing them perform against the Falcons on Sunday.

There's reason to think the Seahawks offense will struggle all season because of their struggling offensive line though.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I guess we should just use a 3 man rush all the time according to your statistics. I guess maybe The Packers could just hire you and you could call all the plays sitting on the couch and looking at your computer.

What a stupid response to being presented with facts there are situations in which to use a three man rush.

If you disagree with each other and think the other persons opinion is unlikely to ever be yours, may I point out our super duper, all singing, state of the art ignore button ?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<over there, on the left, under the member information ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the defense was terrific. Getting a bunch of 3 and outs is exactly what I was hoping for. The punt return team kept us from enjoying a field position advantage the entire day imo. The defense from the start never really allowed the Seattle offense from getting into a good rythym. I don't expect them to hold Atlanta to 9 points but if we can get a few 3 and outs and maybe a couple of turnovers, I think we can control this game too in something like a 34-24 game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, with the exception of last week, that probably would have worked just as well. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

If you disagree with each other and think the other persons opinion is unlikely to ever be yours, may I point out our super duper, all singing, state of the art ignore button ?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<over there, on the left, under the member information ;)

There would be a lot less traffic on the forum if members decided to use the ignore button every time they disagree with each other though, Buggy.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Wow, a thread that has been around for 5 years and the guy is still here. Apparently the Packers brass don't visit this forum.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure I'm a real big fan of the new nitro plus or whatever dom dreamed up for today's game, seem to have a helluva time stopping the run with db's playing linebacker, came out with 4 safeties on the field and it surely wasn't very effective until they started going blitz crazy on dalton. That being said maybe the time has come to relieve dom of his duties.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I almost came into this thread after the first half, I figured it had probably swelled to 300 pages. Today was a day where some individual effort saved Capers from this thread from growing exponentially.....it will still grow though.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I almost came into this thread after the first half, I figured it had probably swelled to 300 pages. Today was a day where some individual effort saved Capers from this thread from growing exponentially.....it will still grow though.

To be fair, I'll give Capers a little credit. His D only gave up 3 in the 2nd half and made a huge stop in OT. I think what angered people was that they allowed an opening drive TD and put the hole deep right away.

What I think we got at play here which may be a bit upsetting is a 3-4 bend but don't break defense. That kind of defense can be frustrating sometimes. It's a great defense to have if your offense is on fire because if opponents are playing from behind, they're going to want to take deep shots usually into high coverage areas and will end up turning it over. But if your offense is struggling, it can be bad because they'll be content to try and play clock control and keep their own D fresh.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'd say today's game at least deserves adding another page or two. Or twelve.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have defended Dom for years saying he has inferior talent to work with. After today's pathetic defensive performance, its time for him to go. Players come and go but the main constant is that they can't cover anybody in the middle of the field.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have defended Dom for years saying he has inferior talent to work with. After today's pathetic defensive performance, its time for him to go. Players come and go but the main constant is that they can't cover anybody in the middle of the field.
They were playing a good offense on their home field and still managed to play well enough to win. That said, you're right, there were some definite concerns.
If we end up getting torched by Atlanta in the playoffs again, I'd say we need to start a "Fire Capers" thread. But we already have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts