Finley

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the guy can develop into a serious threat and one of the best tight ends in the league. Had he stayed at Texas last year he likely would of been a top 20 pick according to many scouts. I think he should really be utilized more in the offense and make him a nice little checkdown or even long ball threat every once in a while. Thoughts?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree...He as to immature last year and just tohught he could show up./.

He worked really hard this offseason and I think it is showing..And I mean GROWING up

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been labeled by teammates as the best hands on the team. And he's one of the fastest TEs out there. But he has been asked to chip block EVERYTIME, so it's been hurting his effectiveness. His route running and blocking, as well as his football awareness have developed a lot since last season... He's still a little bit raw, but once (if) the pass protection settles, he will start making plays. But Rodgers do have a tendencie to disregard TEs and throw more to Driver and Jennings...

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
(...)
He's still a little bit raw, but once (if) the pass protection settles, he will start making plays. But Rodgers do have a tendencie to disregard TEs and throw more to Driver and Jennings...

It's not really surprising ... Finley has been showing nice progress, however TE's usually gain their yards after the catch and most often, barring a redzone play ... there won't be much gain in "checking down" to a TE ... which is probably why you see that "tendency" ...

- How's that for a thought ? :)

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think checking down to a TE is productive. Look at Indy. Peyton checks down to Clark and hes a big time producer for that team. If the Packers would check down to their TE's from time to time instead of waiting for the long ball and taking a sack, it would prove alot more productive for them instead of a 7 yard loss. Unfortunately Finely and Lee have been kept in to help the OL block... which in return doesnt give them the chance to produce.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not really surprising ... Finley has been showing nice progress, however TE's usually gain their yards after the catch and most often, barring a redzone play ... there won't be much gain in "checking down" to a TE ... which is probably why you see that "tendency" ...

- How's that for a thought ? :)
I think it has more do to with confort level. Rodgers was in his first year. Favre did much the same with Sterling. "Rookies" usually tend to throw, when noone's clearly open, to the player they trust the most.
I think checking down to a TE is productive. Look at Indy. Peyton checks down to Clark and hes a big time producer for that team. If the Packers would check down to their TE's from time to time instead of waiting for the long ball and taking a sack, it would prove alot more productive for them instead of a 7 yard loss. Unfortunately Finely and Lee have been kept in to help the OL block... which in return doesnt give them the chance to produce.
Exactly. I think Finley should be used like Clark. But then again, Clark is the 2nd de facto receiver in the Colts' offense. Finley would be the 3rd, at max.

Members online