Finley should stay...and Packers should pay him his money!

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? because when you watch the tape, is that why there is almost always safety help over the top of Finley?

Not really. Yet when he's not in the game, the other WRs don't suffer from his absence (e.g. 2010). And despite having more defenders who can pay attention to every other WR, Tom Crabtree still finds openings.

So no, I don't buy into the theory that if we lose Finley, our WRs will never get open because everyone else can focus on them.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As somebody above said, the Packer offense will still be way above average even without Finley - Aaron Rodgers MAKES all of his receivers seem greater than they are. About the only limitation on that is drops - Finley's plague. Just the same, I am conflicted on this whole issue. Poppa San's post about cap numbers for a Finley extension/contract has a lot of merit. I would, however, still like to see less throws in Finley's direction. The offense was at its worst in those games where Rodgers seemed to be forcing it to get the ball to Finley. I also would like to see Finley used out wide more - along with maybe drafting a tall possession receiver TE in the middle rounds. Much has been said about the pie-in-the-sky idea of drafting a Megatron-type WR. Maybe we already have that if that aspect of Finley's unique hybrid could be cultivated a little bit. Bottom line: I wouldn't be upset if he is cut; I wouldn't be upset if he is re-structured/extended; But I would be kinda upset if he is flat out paid the $8.25 million in March.

Reaction score
Not really. Yet when he's not in the game, the other WRs don't suffer from his absence (e.g. 2010). And despite having more defenders who can pay attention to every other WR, Tom Crabtree still finds openings.

So no, I don't buy into the theory that if we lose Finley, our WRs will never get open because everyone else can focus on them.
I didn't say that theory... and wow.. 5 receptions for a 100 yards on the season when you don't count the fake field goal is really a promising way to tell that someone can find openings

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say that theory... and wow.. 5 receptions for a 100 yards on the season when you don't count the fake field goal is really a promising way to tell that someone can find openings

I'm just saying. No Finley, yet someone else was still able to break the seams. WRs still get open. This whole "Double and triple coverage on Finley all the time" doesn't mean much.

This offense does just fine when he's not on the field. What do they lose? Finley used to be the guy who could wreak havoc on the Cover-2 defenses. He's not even doing that anymore.

Definitely not worth $8.25 million. His production merits about half of that at most.

H

HardRightEdge

They have D.J. Williams. Besides, Finley isn't much of a threat. Two touchdowns + zero blocking + tons of baggage doesn't = $8.25 million TE.

And who is D.J. Williams, anyway? He might be a fine young man who loves his mother (or not... I have no way of knowing), but he's two years in and has not demonstrated the ability to run NFL pass routes. He's not much of a blocker either.

Just because a guy is young and TT drafted him doesn't mean he's more than a special teams player.

There are good points to be made on the "dump Finley" side of the argument, chiefly his salary/cap hit. However, the guys behind him on the bench serve as a "keep Finley" argument. You can like them, you can like some of the things they do, but they are a different class of player.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And who is D.J. Williams, anyway? He might be a fine young man who loves his mother (or not... I have no way of knowing), but he's two years in and has not demonstrated the ability to run NFL pass routes. He's not much of a blocker either.

Just because a guy is young and TT drafted him doesn't mean he's more than a special teams player.

There are good points to be made on the "dump Finley" side of the argument, chiefly his salary/cap hit. However, the guys behind him on the bench serve as a "keep Finley" argument. You can like them, you can like some of the things they do, but they are a different class of player.

Those are valid points. Williams (or any of the TEs on the roster) may not be that good. Of course, they may be good. Won't know unless they play more.

With Finley, we have a five-year sample size. We know what we're getting with him: A player who'll make about 60 catches, 5-6 touchdowns per season, unreliable blocker and magnet for the media. Maybe a secret weapon against Cover-2 defenses.

$8.25 million? No thanks.

I'm not a fan of tight ends like Finley or Jared Cook. An every-down tight end must consistently block well. I'm not talking about "Jacked up" blocks to unsuspecting defenders; I'm talking about inline blocking for the ground game. Guys who are practically a sixth offensive lineman who can catch some passes when necessary. If they can catch like Tony G or Jason Witten then that's fantastic. But blocking is a must.

Top it off with the fact that Finley isn't that great of a receiver and he (or his agent, etc.) talks and dances too much...

For all the hype that these TE-wannabe WRs get, I look at the tight ends of last three Super Bowl champions: Andrew Quarless, Jake Ballard, Dennis Pitta.

Nothing to fancy there.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Those are valid points. Williams (or any of the TEs on the roster) may not be that good. Of course, they may be good. Won't know unless they play more.

With Finley, we have a five-year sample size. We know what we're getting with him: A player who'll make about 60 catches, 5-6 touchdowns per season, unreliable blocker and magnet for the media. Maybe a secret weapon against Cover-2 defenses.

$8.25 million? No thanks.

I'm not a fan of tight ends like Finley or Jared Cook. An every-down tight end must consistently block well. I'm not talking about "Jacked up" blocks to unsuspecting defenders; I'm talking about inline blocking for the ground game. Guys who are practically a sixth offensive lineman who can catch some passes when necessary. If they can catch like Tony G or Jason Witten then that's fantastic. But blocking is a must.

Top it off with the fact that Finley isn't that great of a receiver and he (or his agent, etc.) talks and dances too much...

For all the hype that these TE-wannabe WRs get, I look at the tight ends of last three Super Bowl champions: Andrew Quarless, Jake Ballard, Dennis Pitta.

Nothing to fancy there.
Might as well use tackle eligible, its very difficult to find road grading TE. I'm satisfied with good inline pass blocking. You're seriously going to hate this year's TE crop (with perhaps the exception of Lutzenkirchen, Williams, and Sims) from what I gather. You undermined your last argument by mentioning Pitta because of his catching ability IMO.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might as well use tackle eligible, its very difficult to find road grading TE. I'm satisfied with good inline pass blocking. You're seriously going to hate this year's TE crop (with perhaps the exception of Lutzenkirchen, Williams, and Sims) from what I gather. You undermined your last argument by mentioning Pitta because of his catching ability IMO.

If Quarless can return from injury, I'm happy with him.

EDIT: NM about Pitta--- I see what you're saying. Still don't think he's that good but he is a pass-catcher.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like for him to stay but the $8.3 million is a big number. Maybe he and his agent will sit down and make it more workable. There is no one on the roster as HRE says to take his place. So then we have to draft a TE very high. I'd just like to see the draft picks go to other places of need we presently have NO answer for.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. It’s hard to figure out if the OP is satire or trolling as suggested, or just plain foolishness. I blame some of the other interesting ideas posted on the OP for setting the tone. :D

While I would love Finley to agree to less money for 2013, that’s not the deal his agent struck for him last year. The deal was he wouldn’t get the security of a big signing bonus and long-term deal in return for the leverage of either $8M+ in 2013 or becoming a UFA and the ability to get a large signing bonus. I don’t know what the tag number is for TEs but it’s probably close to $8M so his 2013 salary is probably close to what the tagged amount would be. If they do leave his deal in place they could tag him next year and continue to make him “prove it”. In any event, there’s no reason for Finley to accept less. If the Packers want to lessen his cap hit, they can negotiate a long-term deal or they can let him test free agency.

Here’s what McCarthy said about Finley in his after-season press conference: “I think it was clearly his best year, particularly on the 2-yard drag routes and things like that. I was very pleased with the way Jermichael played there in the second half and he improved a number of different areas of his game."

We'll know what they're going to do before the end of the month.

TimthePackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this time in the thread when it's crucial that I make a point that sums it all up, like Finley, I dropped the ball and couldn't remember what I was going to say.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

At this time in the thread when it's crucial that I make a point that sums it all up, like Finley, I dropped the ball and couldn't remember what I was going to say.
Yeah, but did you go and make an *** of yourself afterwards talking to the press too ??

I

Okay it was only speculation on the Bleachers report, but does anybody else seriously think JF would consider the move to get back at us if we released him ?. Has he ever mentioned it in local press ?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
LMAO.....Bill.....another finley thread?? This is awesome.

There was somethin under the NFC North blog section on espn.go that said something like: If he gets asked to restuctur his deal to save cap space, then he will "walk" from GB. Next it mentioned that the bears would most likely be interested. But that is pure speculation, but it does make sense.

He sounds like a selfish little bi*ch to me.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay it was only speculation on the Bleachers report, but does anybody else seriously think JF would consider the move to get back at us if we released him ?. Has he ever mentioned it in local press ?

define "get back at us"

He will go chase money. He wont take a pay cut to play for Chicago, Minn, or Detroit. Would he play harder if he went to a team that plays us? Prob. But thats a great reason to not have him on the team.

I

LMAO.....Bill.....another finley thread?? This is awesome.

There was somethin under the NFC North blog section on espn.go that said something like: If he gets asked to restuctur his deal to save cap space, then he will "walk" from GB. Next it mentioned that the bears would most likely be interested. But that is pure speculation, but it does make sense.

He sounds like a selfish little bi*ch to me.
Sorry mate, didn`t see the other thread, and yes thank you it does make sense......:tup:

I

define "get back at us"

He will go chase money. He wont take a pay cut to play for Chicago, Minn, or Detroit. Would he play harder if he went to a team that plays us? Prob. But thats a great reason to not have him on the team.
Defining "get back at us", not another Favre scenario hopefully.....:tup:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo, lemme just say this, you are the first person I've seen that thinks our offense is better without Finley.

Everyone else, all the national pundits, the local media guys, and other fans, think that he's a tremenduous weapon and makes our offense better. He was voted in the top 10 TEs by ESPN.com, He was listed as a top 10 Ted Thompson draft pick by Wilde, Rodgers himself said he has the best hands in the team and is the best weapon...

I think you're the only one that wants to trade him, and certainly the only one that thinks the offense is better without him...

Im pretty proud of this actually. From 2011.

I

I`m inclined to agree with you if I`m honest, although to be fair to him, his efforts in the last few games made me think he had turned a corner regarding his attitude. If he goes I wish him well providing he doesn`t go to the Bears or for that the Vikings.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He is just like several others.....money sniffers. They goes where the cash gets waived in their face. Winning or losing team, he seems like he would go for a payday rather than play for a contending team. I hope if he does leave, he goes to the bills or the browns. lol

I

I still have a sour taste for what his dumb *** agent spouted off, sounds to me like they are cut from the same cloth.
Agents in ANY sport are bottom feeders mate. We have them here in Europe with Soccer players, although our sportsmen don`t earn the same as yours....lol I wouldn`t mind suffering like them though....:D

Members online

Latest posts