1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Finley should stay...and Packers should pay him his money!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackPackPackers, Feb 28, 2013.

1. PackPackPackers

PackPackPackers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +39
    I am literally laughing at all of the Packer fans that want to cut Jermichael Finley and "save" money. This is just another cheap move by the Packers FO who do not want to pay Finley is money. Why should Finley have to take a pay cut to stay on the team? He is definitely one of the few elite TE's left in the NFL and I think it would be foolish for him to leave. Thompson is driving this organization down the to the ground...I mean how do you expect to obtain great results when you invest in such cheap players.

Investing into cheap unknown players = cheap results
    Investing into very well known NFL players who are best in the business = very good results, SB wins

This is a joke...

Lol, now we have useless Crabtree to replace Finley...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    Finley is elite?

That's hilarious

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,399
    I'm assuming that this entire post was joking? Hopefully?

4. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,399
    Because if you're not....Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, Aaron Hernandez, Jason Witten, Owen Daniels...there's a few just off the top of my head that are better than Finley. He is not "one of the few elite TE's left in the NFL".

What was Finley up to when we got that Super Bowl win a couple years ago, btw?
    "Also, Investing into very well known NFL players who are best in the business = very good results, SB wins "

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    I'm pretty sure the post was satire. Or the poster is related/employed by jermichael

6. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +643
    When did Finley help us win a Super Bowl?

7. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,837
    So, you are apparently not aware of this, but Packer Fans do not constitute the Front Office (FO). Although the Fans 'own' the Packers through 'worthless' stock - they are not in any way empowered to make personnel decisions.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    The poster also made this statement. Which doesn't seem to lineup with this thread.

9. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    "Trollin' so hard you'd think he's Horde."

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Yup, worked really well for the Eagles. Investing in good players is one thing. Naively investing in talented yet unmotivated tight ends is also a joke.

11. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    He was on the field with the team DUH!

12. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +370
    He is a top 10 TE who is getting drafted around top 5 in fantasy drafts. That must mean he's pretty good. Everybody likes to rag on Finley, but who is better? Maybe 5 guys in the whole league?

Personally, if I was building a team the only guys I would take over him would be: Gronk, Graham, Hernandez, Rudolph and maybe Davis if you factor in age.

I get it, he showed way to much talent and ability early and now that he hasn't lived up to it fans under-rate him even more. He's not that bad though guys. Not even that much overpaid.

13. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    I agree with your basic premise; I just wouldn't apply it to Finley. Yes, it does seem that the Packers have been cheap at times, preferring cheap second-rate players/projects/diamonds in the rough to proven stars. I'm sure others will point out that we have a wonderful long term winning record that way. I would come back that it could have been even better, but whatever.

As for Finley, I agree with the majority that he has not been elite. In addition to the guys mentioned above, almost every team has a big SURE-HANDED TE - which arguably, Finley is not. Yeah, he is a matchup problem, he can go deep, etc., but we just haven't seen him use his speed and size for very many big plays.

14. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    Cutting Finley would be foolish. If TT decideds not to tag Jennings and we lose finley the offense would be average at best. Especially with no legit threat at RB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    The offense will never be "avg at best" with Rodgers in his prime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,379
    According to NBC Sports, Jimmy Graham had 13 drops. Finley had 7. And by way of a team comparison, Cobb had 9 and Nelson had 6.

On a per target basis:

Graham 9.6% on 135 targets
    Finley 8.0% on 88 targets
    Cobb: 8.7% on 104 targets
    Nelson: 8.2% on 73 targets

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Honestly, if you're going to have a one-dimensional TE, then his one-dimensional ability needs to come in blocking. Otherwise, he's just another WR.

Packers aren't the only team with this problem. Titans have the same exact kind of TE (Jared Cook). For the most part, same exact problems.

Goodbye Finley.

18. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    We already have 2 excellent blocking TE's... Why not have a threat that the defense needs to prepare for?

19. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    That's what i said and?? Jordy Nelson all of a sudden has hamstring issues and don't count on James Jones to score double digit TD's every season. Prime or no prime even the elite quarterbacks NEED weapons.. so yes. AVERAGE at best.

20. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    Jones is a guy that couldn't get a contract offer recently. He isn't a world killer.

Elite QBs need weapons? Sure it helps but Brady won 3 SBs without an elite WR.

Rodgers is too good and the position is too important in this league for the offense to be "avg"

21. JoshuaRHuffman

Ratings:
    +60
    They have D.J. Williams. Besides, Finley isn't much of a threat. Two touchdowns + zero blocking + tons of baggage doesn't = $8.25 million TE.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,023
    I'd suggest redoing his contract, 4 years $30 (numbers in millions). $8 signing bonus (this years salary) and $1 salary year one. 2 years salary about $2 each with about a $2 and $4 roster bonus. Year four voidable based on performance about $6 roster bonus and $5 salary. Cap hit this year drops to $3, next year $5 and $9 year three [estimated]. He'll probably get more but dropping his cap number for a few years to buy more development time by guaranteeing this years salary should help.

23. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    Really? because when you watch the tape, is that why there is almost always safety help over the top of Finley?

24. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    and zero blocking?

He chip blocked someone to the ground.. that's at least 2 more blocks than claimed

25. JoshuaRHuffman

Ratings:
    +60
    Fine. He's a not a zero blocker. He's just a very poor blocker :)