Favre's situation--one theory

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I start my comments I want to lay down a couple of ground rules.

1)Please separate your personal feelings about Brett Favre from the SITUATION Brett Favre is in. We all know and like Brett Favre, some more than others. This is not an emotional assessment, but rather a theory I've put together based on some facts, mostly conjecture on my part. This is not any insider information. Yes, that means it's blow chunks on my part, but it is something I want people to consider as Favre nears his 'decision'.

2)I use a rule that Ted Thompson's public comments are not the factual truth unless proven otherwise. I'm not here to argue about Ted Thompson. I'm here to argue about what Ted Thompson is UP TO.

Here goes....
--------------------

I found it odd that during the Senior Bowl week TT makes a visit to Brett Favre's home, followed shortly by Mike McCarthy.
Thompson proclaims to the media that Favre's retirement "wasn't talked about"...OH REALLY! You are going to make a special visit to his home and then not talk face-to-face about the most important question facing the new regime?
Charlie, er, Mike McCarthy returns to tell the media that he wants Brett Favre back '120 %'.
On another board comes a report that one of the reasons Bates and the Packers parted was that Bates actually wanted Brett to return. The Packers gave him his salary in return to not discuss the situation. This same report(by a friend of an eyewitness inside the organization) said Thompson wants to make the Packers 'his team'.

Fast forward to Miami...

Recently reports surfaced of Miami's need for a QB. They don't want Ferrotte running the show another year. Observers see a much improved offense under Saban, except at QB. They also see a defense with a 1-2 year window before it needs to be rebuilt. In short, time is short. Miami has talked about trading up to get Jay Culver.

Rewind to the days before the Super Bowl. Mysteriously, Brett Favre breaks his silence(even friends like Chris Havel said Favre wasn't saying anything to them) and talks to Chris Mortenson with a very foggy view of whether he was retiring or not, his future etc. Keep in mind his during season comments about the Packers 'wanting him'.

Net theory...

Ted Thompson went to Brett to tell him if he chose to play another year, the Packers might well trade him. I think TT was trying, in fact, to talk him OUT of retiring so he could swing a trade with Miami to ship Favre and the #5 pick to Miami in exchange for a booty of players and draft picks. The Dolphins win big this year and in the future, picking Culver#5, the Packers get the Dolphins mid-first-round pick plus pick up a boatload of draft picks. It wouldn't surprise me to see Ferrotte involved in the trade, thus giving the Packers a veteran to push Rodgers. It all hinges on whether Favre wants to play. If he retires, the whole deal goes south, so yes, technically, the Packers want Brett to play 'one more year' but not for them.

I think Thompson was gauging whether Favre would buy into playing for someone else. Favre doesn't necessarily want to play for anyone else.

Thompson is also looking at the pro-rated cap space which he could gain in this type of trade. He won't gain as much as if Favre just retires, but he will gain some.

Initially it would be a public relations nightmare as the fans would go beserk, but would quiet down, depending on what Green Bay receives in return.

------------------

That's it. Please don't make it personal. I have said some negatives about Favre in the past, and this isn't necessarily what I WANT, but rather one scenerio which I SPECULATE could happen. It doesn't mean it WILL happen, but it is something to think about. Quite frankly, if TT has decided to move away from Favre(as I think he has) then lets get it done.
If Brett does decide he won't go anywhere but back to Green Bay then he should retire.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT is an astute manager, and I believe he probably is, then why not just feel Bates out on his plans for Favre but not elaborate on your own. It doesn't seem like one would need "hush" money to dispel that rumor.

I still don't see the Favre/Miami connection as he would probably rather retire than be traded to a team that runs a largely different offense - one that he couldn't be successful in.

Interesting thoughts, though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting theories...Anything could happen in the NFL...

But I hope that TT would know what that would do to the entire community surrounding GB, financially and emotionally...I would be VERY shocked to see any sort of trade at all involing Brett, but like I said anything can happen...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net said...

"Quite frankly, if TT has decided to move away from Favre(as I think he has) then lets get it done.
If Brett does decide he won't go anywhere but back to Green Bay then he should retire."

I especially love this part of your post, Net.....where you say you're not bashing Favre, and then sneakily and underhandedly bash him with the last sentence....!

How typical....

First you accept TT's decision that he should get away from Favre.."lets get it done"..as the right one...and then YOU personally say that Favre should retire from the GB Packers....but no..you're not bashing him...are you net?

Get ready to suck GB Packer fans...TT and Aaron Rodgers are bringing us back to the good ol' 1970's....just like net, TT-romadz, and a few others around here...desire...

OH HAPPY DAY...!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It goes without saying that seeing Favre in another uniform would be extremely difficult.

The Pack was a bottom barrel team for a long time, making it very difficult to grow up a Packer fan. Then Wolf brought in Holmgren, Favre and White and we've been able to enjoy many years of success. Out of those 4 people who brought so much success to this team, only Favre remains. Losing Favre is severing ties with 13 years of success (obviously we cannot count last season). Last season was a harsh reminder of what it was like before Wolf came to GB and no one wants to go back!!

Of course this is all based on emotion, but football is an emotional sport. FAs choose GB because of Favre. Just his talk of retirement has pushed FAs to sign elsewhere. This is still Favre's team and the players believe they can win each week because he is under center.

All that being said, football is also a business. From one perspective, no player is more important than the team. But from another, no signal player has produced as much business as Favre. He is truly an icon for GB and the NFL.

When Montana went to play in KC, SF had Young to take over. I'm sure it was difficult for 49er fans to see Joe leave, but it was never a problem for the team to start Young. That's not the same here since losing Favre to another team truly is starting over from scratch.

The only way TT could consider a deal for Favre would be receiving something on the order that Minny gave up to Dallas for Hershel Walker many years ago. That should not include losing our #5 pick in the draft either.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what?? no emotion?? i'm a girl, remember? not possible!! ok, having said that - conspiracy theories abound! none of us can read minds so i don't think it's fair to constantly theorize what TT, MM, or BF are thinking. wait & see what happens is my viewpoint on all of it. we'll know when we know & not a minute sooner. until then, y'all need to relax & take some deep breaths.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I wrote this Pack66, I especially had you in mind since you have no ability to analyze anything unless you take a personal slap at those who don't think like you.

I asked you(apparently unsuccessfully) to keep the personal attacks out of it and look at it from the merit of the argument. I'm sorry you aren't capable of doing that.

The last line has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING to do about taking a slap at Favre(sorry you couldn't figure it out) but rather if TED THOMPSON has decided to move on, for whatever reason, to do it sooner rather than later so everyone can move on.

You are right that I think the Packers will suck this year, probably the next.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you leave out emotion when talking about Favre. I'm not a girl.....yet........but I can't seperate emotion when discussing this and neither can you net. Reread your post you took a shot at Favre, TT and Charlie..er, Mike McCarthy.

Basically your post has about every conspiracy theory with the exception of Brett being abducted by little green men in a spaceship. Where is digs when someone needs to be reminded to wear the shiny side out!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, DePack....you're not a girl.....but I hear you throw like one!! LOL

IF Favre is not a Packer next year, I simply do not see him in another uniform. He is as aware of his legacy as any player, and he KNOWS how much that legacy would be diminished should he pull a Unitas or Namath or Montana. He indicated that he was mentally drained by footbnall this season, it does not strike me that he could flip the switch and suddenly find that. I think it will be GB or the tractor. Whatever he decides, I am cool with because he gave us everything for so long and at such a high level.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think people are forgetting the personal side of his life, grandma with her stroke, and the affect the hurricane has had on his family, friends and community..

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think the mentally drained issue is that big of a deal. Who hasnt had a job that it just is mentally exhausting even if you were getting paid bucks like that and you were close to retirement you woulds give long hard thought to it.

As far as nets post I find alot of flaws but the biggest one is reference to TT. You say TT wants this to be his team. I can gaurentee you though no matter what TT would ge for Favre I think that move would lessen his tenure in GB significantly. I think GB Fans could deal better with one more great year and four bad ones that two more bad ones and then get better. Brett and his decision honestly does not have any real bearing on how GB rebuilds. We have our next QB.

A smart draft on TT's part will likely fill the glaring holes in this team although not all. If TT can get one or two Blue Chip FA on Atleast one O-lineman and A CB GB will be in good shape.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson went to Brett to tell him if he chose to play another year, the Packers might well trade him. I think TT was trying, in fact, to talk him OUT of retiring so he could swing a trade with Miami to ship Favre and the #5 pick to Miami in exchange for a booty of players and draft picks. The Dolphins win big this year and in the future, picking Culver#5, the Packers get the Dolphins mid-first-round pick plus pick up a boatload of draft picks. It wouldn't surprise me to see Ferrotte involved in the trade, thus giving the Packers a veteran to push Rodgers. It all hinges on whether Favre wants to play. If he retires, the whole deal goes south, so yes, technically, the Packers want Brett to play 'one more year' but not for them.

Net, why does Miami need our #5 pick? All emotions out of this, I would trade Miami Favre for their #1 and #3 picks. Why would the Packers need to grease the deal for them? I believe Miami is the team that needs to pony up in this trade.

But I agree with other comments on this subject. Trading Favre is a PR and emotional nightmare for fans of the GB Packers.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theories are theories and in going along with Nets ground rules, I cannot imagine Brett accepting to come back only to be traded. The reason is not emotional but rather what Brett has said in the past. First of all, he's continually insisted that he will retire a Packer and has no desire to play for another team. Maybe this is his mental anguish, eating his words because he wants to play for another organization now with all the current change in GB. He recently stated his ties with Mike Sherman, largely due to not wanting to learn a new system. If he does go to Miami, he will be learning a complete new system. So due to his GB for life stance and no desire to learn a new system, I do think this theory isn't that plausible.

BTW....Depack throws like a girl was pretty funny. Sorry De...Digs had me laugh out loud on that one.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
A trade with Brett doesn't make a lick of sense for anything he's said. Such as not wanting to leave GB, stating he will never play for another team(although who the sam hell would say 'ya id like to play for the bears, but for now im a packer and i love it'), he's stated numerous times hes too old to be thrown into a new situation where he has to learn a new offense and with regards to a new team he has said he doesnt want to get accustomed to another city, another schedule etc ...

Just doesn't make sense. However I'd like to hear more of your theories because I think this one was well thought out, I just don't see the trade aspect going down from the things i've heard directly from Bretts mouth from my TV set/Radio.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Theories are theories and in going along with Nets ground rules, I cannot imagine Brett accepting to come back only to be traded. The reason is not emotional but rather what Brett has said in the past. First of all, he's continually insisted that he will retire a Packer and has no desire to play for another team. Maybe this is his mental anguish, eating his words because he wants to play for another organization now with all the current change in GB. He recently stated his ties with Mike Sherman, largely due to not wanting to learn a new system. If he does go to Miami, he will be learning a complete new system. So due to his GB for life stance and no desire to learn a new system, I do think this theory isn't that plausible.

Favre has made such comments, but he did back down from the comment about not wanting to learn a new system. In fact the comment was an indication that Favre would retire if Sherman was fired. Sherman's gone and Favre hasn't retired.

Favre has the right to change his mind, but that doesn't matter. The theory is that TT is plotting to trade Favre, not that Favre is willing to play for another team. So this theory is plausible, but there are many assumptions being made to support it. The first is that TT and MM both are lying to everyone about wanting Favre back. The second is that Miami would be willing to give up numerous draft picks for a QB ready to retire anyday now. The third is that TT is power hungry and wants to change everything so that he gets credit for GB's success.

No matter what the 2nd assumption is key. Why would Miami trade away significant value to get Favre? It would take about the same amount to get Drew Brees, who will be around long after Brett retires. They could also choose to trade less away and go after a promising backup like Volek or Schaub.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok... Let's all just pretend Net is right. Why not Seattle in stead of Miami?

If Brett had the opportunity to join Mike Holmgren for one more shot next year (Seattle could be back representing the NFC in SB 41) he would jump at it.

Brett back with his Home Boy Holmey! Seattle's "O" line in front of him. A MVP running back to hand off to. A shot at the NFC Title and a Superbowl to retire after. It is a match made in heaven for every one except poor old Matt.

(I know... I know... cap challenges for Seattle, resigning Alexander... Blah blah blah...) All I am saying is Brett would be pumped for that opportunity I bet!)

RP

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Ok... Let's all just pretend Net is right. Why not Seattle in stead of Miami?

If Brett had the opportunity to join Mike Holmgren for one more shot next year (Seattle could be back representing the NFC in SB 41) he would jump at it.

Brett back with his Home Boy Holmey! Seattle's "O" line in front of him. A MVP running back to hand off to. A shot at the NFC Title and a Superbowl to retire after. It is a match made in heaven for every one except poor old Matt.

(I know... I know... cap challenges for Seattle, resigning Alexander... Blah blah blah...) All I am saying is Brett would be pumped for that opportunity I bet!)

RP

Seattle doesn't make sense because they wouldn't be willing to give up significant value to trade for Favre. It could potentially be great for GB if we'd get Hasselback and a couple draft picks, but Seattle would be out of their mind to make that trade.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Seattle doesn't make sense because they wouldn't be willing to give up significant value to trade for Favre. It could potentially be great for GB if we'd get Hasselback and a couple draft picks, but Seattle would be out of their mind to make that trade.

Oh man... Bobby you are in big trouble.

66 is going to rip you a new one for that post. (Big ole smile)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bobby...Are you crazy...??

You see..the object of the game in the NFL is actually WINNING the SB...

(Which is what Hasselbeck did NOT do...and what Big Ben was lucky to do...with the help of the Refs...)

What people don't understand is that Big Ben and Hasselbeck MAY NEVER GET TO THE SB AGAIN....

THIS GOES FOR AARON RODGERS AS WELL...

(I like all of you so called "Packer fans" who can just toss aside your HOF QB for someone who is UNPROVEN..and barely took a snap in the NFL...)

Again the object is TO WIN THE BIG GAME...which Favre has done....He is a proven commodity in the NFL...therefore WAY more valuable then most..if not all..of the QB's in the NFL...)

I think Hasselbeck choked a bit in this SB...especially with clock management...but if Favre was playing for the Seahawks it would have been a DONE DEAL--a Seattle win...!)

Don't think it's easy to get there again with unproven people...

Hasselbeck is NO FAVRE...and Big Ben is NO HASSELBECK...

(and for all you Steeler supporters trying to rationalize this SB....try playing a game when every big play..and all of your momentum..is taken away by the referees...How can you say that Seattle didn't "make the plays" when they in fact, "made the plays"..but they were taken away from them...)

(I'd say at least 21 points were robbed from the SeaHawks...more if you count the Rothlisberger fake TD....)

Saying you'll take Hasselbeck over Favre is like saying you'd take Mike Tomczak over Joe Montana....maybe Holmgren wants to win a SB in Seattle and leave--retire! If he has Favre..he has a much better chance of that happening...!!)

Not just years of winning NFC West championships and never returning to the Big Game again....

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bobby...Are you crazy...??

You see..the object of the game in the NFL is actually WINNING the SB...

(Which is what Hasselbeck did NOT do...and what Big Ben was lucky to do...with the help of the Refs...)

What people don't understand is that Big Ben and Hasselbeck MAY NEVER GET TO THE SB AGAIN....

THIS GOES FOR AARON RODGERS AS WELL...

(I like all of you so called "Packer fans" who can just toss aside your HOF QB for someone who is UNPROVEN..and barely took a snap in the NFL...)

Again the object is TO WIN THE BIG GAME...which Favre has done....He is a proven commodity in the NFL...therefore WAY more valuable then most..if not all..of the QB's in the NFL...)

I think Hasselbeck choked a bit in this SB...especially with clock management...but if Favre was playing for the Seahawks it would have been a DONE DEAL--a Seattle win...!)

Don't think it's easy to get there again with unproven people...

Hasselbeck is NO FAVRE...and Big Ben is NO HASSELBECK...

(and for all you Steeler supporters trying to rationalize this SB....try playing a game when every big play..and all of your momentum..is taken away by the referees...How can you say that Seattle didn't "make the plays" when they in fact, "made the plays"..but they were taken away from them...)

(I'd say at least 21 points were robbed from the SeaHawks...more if you count the Rothlisberger fake TD....)

Saying you'll take Hasselbeck over Favre is like saying you'd take Mike Tomczak over Joe Montana....maybe Holmgren wants to win a SB in Seattle and leave--retire! If he has Favre..he has a much better chance of that happening...!!)

Not just years of winning NFC West championships and never returning to the Big Game again....

Seattle would be crazy to trade significant value for Favre. Hasselback did just fine in the SB, but he suffered from receivers dropping perfectly throw balls and bad refereeing. Heck, by your assessment of the refs, Hasselback is a SB winning QB.

Any Favre trade by GB with Seattle would have to include Hasselback along with other players and/or draft picks.

Why trade the bank for a hall of fame QB at the end of his career?? It's not that Favre isn't still great, it's that he's set to retire anyday. If Seattle trades Hasselback and draft picks for Brett, then when he decides to retire they're left with Seneca Wallace and no picks to improve.

No matter how you look at it, trading for Favre costs too much because he is so good. If a team would make the trade, then they would also have to accept the fact that they're trading the future for only 1 year. Brett may decide to play longer, but he's almost set to retire right now and that's no secret! Heck, Favre flat told TT that he's not willing to commit 100% to playing at his best if he doesn't retire!

I appreciate all of the great years that Favre has brought and I never want to see him leave. I truly believe that with Brett and some improvements, GB can make a run at the SB this coming season. But his trade value is too high for another team to go after him.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bobby..

You make good points....

but I think Favre might reconsider some of his arguments if he were able to walk into a situation such as Seattle's...

and depending upon whether he (Favre) believes your assertion that the Packers can be competitive NOW!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, really, for all his excellence, who in their right mind will trade anything of value for a QB (granted, a 1st ballot HOF QB) who will be playing one, maybe two more years. Talent means **** if the sheriff is gonna mosey off into the sunset after a year.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack Considering

A. Seattle and or GB will be any where from 0-16 to 19-0 Next year
B. Would Brett really throw away his accomplishments in GB just for the statistical outside chance of getting to the SB with another team is no gaurentee.
C. Brett I am sure realizes going to another team would tarnish his image not only in GB but throughout the NFL. (One losing season and I am going to run away.)

IMO it would be better for Favre to come back and take the challenge of being on a team with alot of potential and making his run in the next two years. Also think he needs to come back to end his starting streat like ripken did in baltimore. On his own terms.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bobby..

You make good points....

but I think Favre might reconsider some of his arguments if he were able to walk into a situation such as Seattle's...

and depending upon whether he (Favre) believes your assertion that the Packers can be competitive NOW!

Actually I believe your last sentence is the key to Favre's decision. He doesn't want to return for a rebuilding project. If TT doesn't work to sign some veteran FAs to make GB competitive this season, then it's likely he'll retire.

Of course the situation is different in Seattle and I agree that Favre may want to stick around to play for Holmgren for a few years. Still, the decision isn't Favre's, it's GB's and Seattle's. Same thing goes for a trade with Miami.