Favre's History Repeating Itself In Minnesota

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One big pile of assumption. Haus is right the hatred of the guy is clouding reasonable judgment

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
After the "Philly Toss to the Moon" and the 07 Championship game "WHOOPS MY BAD" throws. I'm happy to NOT have Brent here any more.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Not sure man, it's starting to look more and more like reality than fiction. Brett has taken over and made Brad look like a buffoon.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure man, it's starting to look more and more like reality than fiction. Brett has taken over and made Brad look like a buffoon.

You could say that about just about any of Brett's coaches other than Holmgren.

The thing is, if you are a coach, you've got to understand that guys in the trenches that have seen it all in 20 years of playing sometimes have a better "feel" for the game.

I always argued that if things aren't going right, let Brett direct the offense for a spell and ride him like a stallion. Brett's not the type to want to do this, as evidenced by his comment that he's only audibled out of around 10 plays in 14 games this season. But, last nite was a classic example. He had the Bears on their heels in the second half, so at that point, I'd let him direct the production. Remember last nite when Chilly sent in the goal line shock troops much to Favre's chagrin? What did it lead to? A four yard loss by Taylor. Sometimes you've gotta let instinct take over your pride.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The thing is, if you are a coach, you've got to understand that guys in the trenches that have seen it all in 20 years of playing sometimes have a better "feel" for the game.

I always argued that if things aren't going right, let Brett direct the offense for a spell and ride him like a stallion. Brett's not the type to want to do this, as evidenced by his comment that he's only audibled out of around 10 plays in 14 games this season. But, last nite was a classic example. He had the Bears on their heels in the second half, so at that point, I'd let him direct the production. Remember last nite when Chilly sent in the goal line shock troops much to Favre's chagrin? What did it lead to? A four yard loss by Taylor. Sometimes you've gotta let instinct take over your pride.
True.

OK this brings up a few questions I have about audibles.

If the QB is going to run the play the coach tells him, no question, then what is he calling out to the players? Why not just 'Hut-hut?' What's with all the numbers and codes or whatever the term is?

Do the QBs still say 'Hut' to get the ball hiked? If not, what do they say?

Ever see the movie "Remember the Tiatans?" There's a scene where an O-lineman audibles. Does that really happen? Anyone else besides the QB audible? And if so, why?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True.

OK this brings up a few questions I have about audibles.

If the QB is going to run the play the coach tells him, no question, then what is he calling out to the players? Why not just 'Hut-hut?' What's with all the numbers and codes or whatever the term is?

Do the QBs still say 'Hut' to get the ball hiked? If not, what do they say?

Ever see the movie "Remember the Tiatans?" There's a scene where an O-lineman audibles. Does that really happen? Anyone else besides the QB audible? And if so, why?

Good questions, but their beyond my pay grade.

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One needs to examine the 'Favre Affect' abit closer......... The Vikes went 10-6 & won the North Division in 2008 with G. Frerotte & T. Jackson as their QBs...... They lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

At present, in 2009, the Vikes are 11-4 .............. If their recent slump continues, it's possible they could finish the regular season at 11-5 with a loss this w/end against the Giants.......... It's also very possible that they could end up 'one & out' again in the 1st round of the playoffs.

The bottom line: Bringing BF to Minnesota may only result in a meager 1 game improvement from 2008 to 2009 .......... 10 wins to 11 wins against the 3rd easiest schedule in the NFL........... Then the Vikes can look forward to an off-season of 'will he or won't he' again from BF .........

Result......... The BF experiment failed in New York........... Unless the Vikes thrive in the playoffs, the BF experiment will also be deemed a failure in Minnesota ........... The heat is on .......

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sometimes guys who have been coaches for 20 years have seen a few things too, and along with their fellow coaches up in the booth and on the field, can have a better feel for what the opposition is doing than one guy on the field, even the nearly immortal number 4. That's why they were hired as coaches.

I don't believe for a second, Favre's claim that he has only audibled out of 10 plays all season, since we've all seen him do it multiple times a game in the past.

And certainly there has to be a day coming when Favre picks up a headset and a play menu and starts calling the game from the sideline. Then we can all see that freaking genius just reel off one undefeated season after another. Unless his QB starts some insubordinate crap, that is.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes guys who have been coaches for 20 years have seen a few things too, and along with their fellow coaches up in the booth and on the field, can have a better feel for what the opposition is doing than one guy on the field, even the nearly immortal number 4. That's why they were hired as coaches.

I don't believe for a second, Favre's claim that he has only audibled out of 10 plays all season, since we've all seen him do it multiple times a game in the past.

And certainly there has to be a day coming when Favre picks up a headset and a play menu and starts calling the game from the sideline. Then we can all see that freaking genius just reel off one undefeated season after another. Unless his QB starts some insubordinate crap, that is.

You do realize that you are making a case that Chilly knows something about football dont you. Wait...Chilly is that you?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One needs to examine the 'Favre Affect' abit closer......... The Vikes went 10-6 & won the North Division in 2008 with G. Frerotte & T. Jackson as their QBs...... They lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

At present, in 2009, the Vikes are 11-4 .............. If their recent slump continues, it's possible they could finish the regular season at 11-5 with a loss this w/end against the Giants.......... It's also very possible that they could end up 'one & out' again in the 1st round of the playoffs.

The bottom line: Bringing BF to Minnesota may only result in a meager 1 game improvement from 2008 to 2009 .......... 10 wins to 11 wins against the 3rd easiest schedule in the NFL........... Then the Vikes can look forward to an off-season of 'will he or won't he' again from BF .........

Result......... The BF experiment failed in New York........... Unless the Vikes thrive in the playoffs, the BF experiment will also be deemed a failure in Minnesota ........... The heat is on .......

That's a ridiculous assessment of the 2009 Vikings because you cannot compare 2008 and the schedule with 2009 and the schedule.

You certainly bring up a lot of "if's", don't you? I've got one "if" scenario for you: If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle.

:happy0005:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're willing to call Brett Favre a liar over something this meaningless? How do you really know when Brett is audibling? Obviously, if he's done it "around 10 times in 14 games" this season, he's got everybody hoodwinked.

It just proves my theory that not only do Germans love David Hasslehoff, but most average Joe's and talking heads have no idea what is really transpiring over the course of an NFL football game - which is pretty disappointing considering the amount of time we spend watching this game. Anybody ever watched Manning fake his audibles? Certainly, Brett isn't capable of such a thing, right???:banging:

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

Funny thing is ... with that logic you are displaying ... You should actually *want* Favre to be playing for the Packers still and not the Vikings ...

Because if your logic is like the above ... You will also have to say that the absence of Favre was why the Packers went from 14-4 in 2007 (NFCCG loss) to 6-10 in 2008 ... Which only leads to asking whether or not you believe it's the players or more the coaching that is to be creditted for this season ... - You are probably among those that want McCarthy fired ?

In any case ... what are you going to be saying if the Vikings win their (possible wild card - at home), then continues to win the next game as well ... possibly again in the Dome against the Packers ???

Seems you are totally disregarding the fact that Minnesota is the single only team left in the NFL that hasn't lost at home yet ...

Bottom line ... Your logic is seriously flawed ... And really only proves that you probably don't even watch other games than those the Packers are playing ... - Not even acknowledging that despite what alot of critics and "haters" have been saying ... Favre *still* "has it" ... and *is* playing at a high level ... Something that evidently is tearing you up ...

"Favre experiment failed in New York" ... - LOL ... Look at the Jets the prior season ... - And again, you are totally disregarding the FACT that he played injured ... - Oh well ... I wonder if you even saw a single Jets game last season ? (probably not) ... Not to mention having to learn and play within a totally different offensive system as well ... - But you are right, those things I mentioned had absolutely nothing to do with how the season with the Jets went ... - It was all Favre's fault that the Jets missed the play offs ... - It wasn't like the AFC was competitive (as always) and even the Patriots missed the play offs despite being 11-5 ...

LOL

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're willing to call Brett Favre a liar over something this meaningless? How do you really know when Brett is audibling? Obviously, if he's done it "around 10 times in 14 games" this season, he's got everybody hoodwinked.

It just proves my theory that not only do Germans love David Hasslehoff, but most average Joe's and talking heads have no idea what is really transpiring over the course of an NFL football game - which is pretty disappointing considering the amount of time we spend watching this game. Anybody ever watched Manning fake his audibles? Certainly, Brett isn't capable of such a thing, right???:banging:
I'm sure he has fake audibled, he's been in the league around 20 years. Not doubting he doesn't know how to read defenses and knows how to manipulate them.
Anyways though,c 'mon you really think he's only actually audibled 10 times during the WHOLE season? I don't have any proof that he's done more, but seriously?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he has fake audibled, he's been in the league around 20 years. Not doubting he doesn't know how to read defenses and knows how to manipulate them.
Anyways though,c 'mon you really think he's only actually audibled 10 times during the WHOLE season? I don't have any proof that he's done more, but seriously?

I'm not sure Brett said exactly 10, so it could be more or less, but probably close to that number.

Favre doesn't have a need to lie, so I've learned that if you take him at his word, he's not going to let you down UNLESS you start reading articles from journalists whose very livelihoods depend on not reporting news, but creating it. I think you have been victimized by the drive-by media.

Brett doesn't need the money enough to have to spin a web of lies - whereas, journalists - for the most part - have to worry about that monthly mortgage so they can keep that nice house in the nice part of town.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just wait for the playoffs when Favre feels he has to do everything himself...then youll see history repeat itself with a beautiful pass to the other team at the most critical points in games... :lol:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just wait for the playoffs when Favre feels he has to do everything himself...then youll see history repeat itself with a beautiful pass to the other team at the most critical points in games... :lol:

Have you seen the Vikings lately??? Does that look like an offense that can function without a Brett Favre???

How can you guys be so blatantly obtuse??? Did you watch the Monday nite game? Favre is the reason the Vikings scored 30 points in 30 minutes of play. It was an heroic effort and that got wasted because All Day has the attention span and learning ability of a 3 year old child.

Good Lord people1:banging:

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So were down to this now. The "will he hold up" is gone, the "throwing picks all year" is gone. So the last leg is now the playoffs. I hate to tell you but there is a common trend going on this year with him. He's proving the crtics wrong so far. But I am surpirsed at the bad games in the palyoffs seeing that he was surrounded with hof talent on all of those teams. Not like he elevated the teams enough to be competative in the reg season.

Members online

Latest posts