Favre says he's leaning toward retirement

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil and Trom are right...the Packers are paying Brett ~ 12 mil this year, on top of what Phil said, and some ppl still think the Pack OWE HIM SOMETHING?!?!?! Remember, Brett is a component of the organization...not the other way around.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
I would be surprised if he DID come back. What will we do if he dosent? How will we cope?

I say we all jump ship and start rooting for a decent team. Just kidding, Rodgers may not be the one to lead us like Favre, but we gotta give him a fair shot. He could be the next Ryan Leaf or he could be the next Brett Favre.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't posted much if any since the season ended, but this Bears fan really ****** me off with his comments on a Packer Forum. I see he is going back to his old ways of "flaming" on every comments he makes about the Packers or Favre. It's his way of getting attention, and boy it worked!

Philtration said:
What? Favre does not "owe" anything to the Packers?
All they did was rescue him from obscurity in Atlanta, give him a chance to play and then start even when the Packers already had a fan favorite and the most successful QB in team history since Bart Starr in Majkowski, pay him millions of dollars, surround him with pro-bowl talent which resulted in a hall of fame career, give him forever and a day to report to camp when his teammates were already hard at work and then let him hold the team by the balls while he mopes about not being committed to playing and maybe not even wanting the ball in his hands with 2 minuets left and the game on the line.
That cowardly statement alone should have been the Packers cue to tell him so long.
Maybe I am spoiled from seeing players like Walter Payton, Michael Jordan, Bob Love, Bruce Sutter, Rich Gossage, Lee Smith, Fergie Jenkins. Players who "wanted" that ball with the game on the line.

Calling Brett Favre a coward?! Listen up boy, Brett simply will not step on the feild if his heart is no longer in the game is an affirmation of his love for the game. He simply means if he is Playing next year, he is giving 100% when he PLAYS 60 minutes. You twist words around more than a politician. If Brett is playing next season, his team mates know his heart is there 100%. That is the only way he plays THE GAME!

You give out Jordan as an example. Well PHILTRATION IS CALLING MICHAEL JORDAN A COWARD, because his father died and he retired because his heart wasn't in the game. He came out of retirement when he felt he could give his full mental attention back to THE GAME. (Now how does it feel when someone twists the word around?)

All of them players listed above(by the way, a lot of love for Cubbie players there son) retired at some point because they felt they could not give 100% anymore. My God the man has played for quite a few years and is still physically able to. He knows there is more to life than just football and it's all or nothing if he decides to comeback. He is a true family man more than Jordan(how many affairs and divorce threats has he been through) and other Star athletes have been.

Mr. Favre has never once issued a press conference announcing his decision to retire or not. It has ALWAYS been the media that ask the question.

He does not owe the Packers or the NFL anything! He has given fans a style of Sportmanship and Quarterbacking that has been refreshing and enjoyable for many, many years. To that I say THANK YOU! You don't owe me anything Brett..

Of course you being a Bear fan and your obvious HATE for Brett Favre and the Packers shines through. Don't give me any of your crap that you respected him when he played because deep down you were praying he would get injured especially when he played the Bares. You would love for nothing more than to see the Packers struggle with a rookie QB. This is obvious through your post.

I bet you Phil, there is not one team mate that feels Brett is "holding the team by the balls" as you have put it. I would venture to say that they feel Brett is entitled to his weighing of "his" decision and respect that and all would love to have him back.

P.S. And if your "spoiled from seeing the likes of Lee Smith than I'm spoiled from seeing the likes of Bobby Thigpen.(C'mon, get real)

OK fellow Packer Backer, help me out on this one. We can't let let this Bear troll take over and twist words to get us riled up. He always brings up, "see I told you so" and " I said this way back when they invented dirt" and stuff like that when there is no real correlation to the facts.

We lose 2 starting Pro-Bowl Offensive lineman at the begining of the year
and Captian Obvious states the Favre will lose his protection and be scrambling all season. I even recall Phil saying in a pre-season post that Favre would be unlikely to make it through the season healthy and then we would start a rookie QB and start 50 years of obscurity.( Wrong!, This is not the Bears organization)

I hated making this post because I feel like Phil and am making a personal attack and I thought I would never get into that but enough is enough and if he can do it on 50% of his threads than I'm going to step up to the plate. Heck Phil you even go after innocent PackerChick, our resident cheerleader. Not every one is a pigskin guru and have "played the game", and neither am I. But I try to stick to the facts and not twist words or make broad generalizations about a situation and skew it with my own take of what it is.

But I'm a big time Pack fan and won't tollerate this Bear fan flaming our board. Smack belongs in the Smack area and if you want to, Philtration, discuss "Packer" football in the "Packer Fan Forum" section you are welcome to. But never, ever, call Brett Favre a "coward in that "section"!

Sorry Ryan , this won't happen again. I know I should just ignore the comment but this one really burned me up and I guess he got his way in getting me riled up but I was not about to sit back on that one.
As a matter of fact, I demand Phil take back his comment that Favre IS/WAS a coward! :x

I'm gonna take a shower now

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
musccy said:
If you were TT, would you approach FA differently if Favre retired?

If the answer is yes, then you should see why Brett should be obligated to make some sort of commtiment to the team, one way or the other.

these 2 comments are far too rational for a topic like this. if see any more patient reasoning or logical rebuttals in here i'm breakin out the yard stick :lol:

I don't get it...I posted a rational level-headed comment, and that DOESN'T get deleted, but then in another thread, I post some sophomoric attack and that DOES get deleted! What's going on here?!? :D

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheese Hog I'm 100% with you. I called Phil out in another thread about his constant hate, but he didn't respond. Hey Phil why are you on a Packer forum? Your a bears fan, go to a bears forum. Or do you wish you were a Packers fan? Go enjoy another mediocre season and bad mouth your own players.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheeshog...although phil may not have worded things as delicatly as he could have, there is some truth to what he says. Phil was trying to comment on how the organization doesn't "owe" brett anything...and he's right. They pay him 12 mil/year...a contract that at one point was the largest in NFL history...so in return, Brett owes the Pack a decision

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheese, Ace, (Phil if you respond) take the further discussion of this tangent into PM or the Smack Area or elsewhere, let's not hijack this thread any further.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
cheeshog...although phil may not have worded things as delicatly as he could have, there is some truth to what he says. Phil was trying to comment on how the organization doesn't "owe" brett anything...and he's right. They pay him 12 mil/year...a contract that at one point was the largest in NFL history...so in return, Brett owes the Pack a decision

don't disagree with you. However he is a bears fan with an obvious agenda to bad mouth all things Packers.

Sorry Ryan, will do.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Tongue in cheek)
Ahman Green has not issued a statement on his intention to retire, become a free agent, or stay with the team for a smaller contract for one year. I think he "owes" the team this since they took a chance on a "fumbler" from Seattle.
I think the team owes him and the public a statement as to what their intentions are with him for the future. The starting running back is a key ingredient in the make-up of the team.

My point being is that things are maybe already known by the management and are are not being let known for obvious "draft strategies" and free agent intentions. Kinda like not showing your cards.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see....GB "rescues" Favre from ATL. He gives us 12ish winning seasons, a SB victory and numerous Division titles. I think he's paid up. No he does not owe GB.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't have the problem so much with Phil...(we know that he's a * bear troll..)

the problem I have is with the so called "Packer fans" who agree with him...

Jeez..perhaps Favre should have played in Denver..where people seem to have more respect for their HOF QB's...(I bet you no so-called "Bronco fans" ever said this crap about Elway..!!!)

and for the life of me...I can't understand how these so called "Packer fans" don't have any gratitude for what Favre has done for them and for the Packer Organization over the years....they're just friggin' ingrates in my book...

Do you honestly think that the next QB in GB is going to do the things that Brett Favre has done for this organization?

Have a little class and show a little grattitude why don't cha'?...you're supposed to be Packer fans....

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and P@ck, whoops, I mean F@vre66, you aren't a real packer fan because the only thing you care about is Brett Favre, and all you do is tear apart every other coach and player on the roster.

and I don't understand how you can't have any gratitude for the organization and staff that has given him around 100 million dollars to date, and has helped to put a superbowl ring on his finger.

It'd be nice to read something positive from you about this organization once in a while that does not relate to BF

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Jeez..perhaps Favre should have played in Denver..where people seem to have more respect for their HOF QB's...(I bet you no so-called "Bronco fans" ever said this crap about Elway..!!!)

Wrong. Until Elway won a Super Bowl he was ripped mercilessly by the Denver media and fans. Now they rip anyone who plays QB for them because he isn't Elway.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Untrue..Musscy..(as usual)

I most certainly do NOT tear up every player and coach on the Packer Roster....

There are quite a few players that I like (Tauscher, Reugameyer, Grady, Driver, Walker, Gado, Franks, Kampman, etc..etc..as well as Favre, and I liked Jim Bates as well!)

But I won't sit and listen to your rot about Favre, or the guy's either....who calls Favre a pill-popping loser with no guts...And the worst part is that you're following the hate spewing chorus of that no good Bear fan Phil...like the rats who followed the pied-piper off of the pier...!!)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A truthful statement is a truthful statement whether it came from a bears fan or not.

I said that he could have worded things more delicately, but his message was true...the notion that the Packers owe Brett something is incorrect...they're paying him 12 million per year...that's what they owe him...going above and beyond that, they've given him a lot more leeway than anyone else on the team (phil touched on some of these instances), due to the fact that he has earned that respect...so how is phil, bears fan or not, incorrect in suggesting that the Packers don't owe Brett anything?

and me being critical of some aspects of Brett's performance is no different than you being critical of the o-line, or Fergy...it's not meant as disrespect, it's just me voicing my opinion that I'm unsatisfied with what transpires on the field. That does not make me an ingrate, a rat, or any less of a packer fan than you or anyone else on this board.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehog said:
(Tongue in cheek)
Ahman Green has not issued a statement on his intention to retire, become a free agent, or stay with the team for a smaller contract for one year. I think he "owes" the team this since they took a chance on a "fumbler" from Seattle.

ahman is gonna be a FA. its not remotely similar.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
P@ck66 said:

Wrong. Until Elway won a Super Bowl he was ripped mercilessly by the Denver media and fans. Now they rip anyone who plays QB for them because he isn't Elway.

i promise you TOP, he won't respond to this. :wink:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well..I don't recall them ripping him too much..

But I know one thing...they sure as HELL sent him out the right way....TO..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I kind of remember that now...

but I thought alot of that fell on Dan Reeves???

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I kind of remember that now...

but I thought alot of that fell on Dan Reeves???

that might've been a take your pick kinda beef..i know he got some flack for letting John call his own plays, but i think a lot of that was done through Shanahan without Reeves' full consent.

the man played/coached in 9 superbowls(8 at the time i think). if i was a Bronco fan he's the person i'd point the finger at. thats just me though...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Untrue..Musscy..(as usual)

I most certainly do NOT tear up every player and coach on the Packer Roster....

There are quite a few players that I like (Tauscher, Reugameyer, Grady, Driver, Walker, Gado, Franks, Kampman, etc..etc..as well as Favre, and I liked Jim Bates as well!)

But I won't sit and listen to your rot about Favre, or the guy's either....who calls Favre a pill-popping loser with no guts...And the worst part is that you're following the hate spewing chorus of that no good Bear fan Phil...like the rats who followed the pied-piper off of the pier...!!)

Look into my eyes p@ck66..... my eyes...... you are getting sleepy, sleepy..... you are going back in time. Back to the 1970s! When I snap my fingers you will have a suck *** team and you will have a pathetic school girl crush on Brett Favre.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts