1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Favre loses edge - What Favre should have done.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by IPBprez, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    i never said he shouold challenge the FA elite...hahahaha

2. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, there's a lot of caveats to this thread - several off-topic opinions, and some truly honest considerations to be thought well of.

But, critiquing Favre is NOT Favre-bashing nor is it Favre-hating.

Like I posted earlier - who else in the NFL is being given such latitude with his Team?
    Name them..... (I'm waitin'...)

Favre could have told TT & MM what his stance was while they were in Mississippi - but chose to use the four-letter Network instead, after their exhaust had barely cleared the southern air. Where's the ethics? What happened to keeping that stuff in-house.?

Truth is - Thompson could have had more success in the FA period, had Favre been there in Green Bay luring them in. Tell me there's no one in the NFL that wouldn't mind having Brett throw them the ball - or be the strong guy blockin' out front for him... not one player anywhere...eh?

Now? We'll never know. One poster was right - we DON'T know what's being said on either side - but we do see some things, while others only call for a little spock-logic.

How would any other Player on the Team be treated, knowing he was basically considered UFA? The Player would be out there shopping, and the Team would be looking to cut, to save money - yet this year is different than many in the recent past - mostly because this new GM has taken and reined in the irresponsible spending we have seen for four years. Add to that the new Contract and an extra $10mil on the spending cap --- I've watched several Teams mortgage their futures away; Minnesota being one of them.

Sure, we have a lot of money there - but TT's record speaks for itself.
    Like it or not - Holmgren wasn't a one-man show out on the Left Coast. As it was the same way here in Green Bay. MH proved he couldn't handle both chairs and after TT came in, the HC worked the Team and the GM brought in the players necessary - they (Seattle) went all the way last season because of that change. You leave the formula as Mike Holmgren only, in Seattle and it's Pittsburgh playin someone last for SB40.

I had my fav list - but Green Bay also has to put up with the "lost mystique", thanks to the previous administration. I've seen several articles which allude to PLayer's attitudes becoming more like they were in the Eighties and avoiding Green Bay for a lot of reasons. It was Ron Wolf that changed that.

Favre holding the Packers future hostage isn't helping the media campaign to get Players enamored with Lambeau again, either - any PR man will tell you that.

I see fire in MM's eye - I think it'll bleed over to the Team as we get near the Preseason games, too. Everyone wants to see the instant win - but the NFL doesn't work that way, and never did.

If Favre really is a competitor - then his approach to the Team, as an equal member, should more pro-Green Bay and not so much Favre-first....!

Remember one glaring fact - there's a huge list of Packer Players who have given tons of heart and effort for the Team and to the Green Bay Organization - Favre's not the first ever, nor the only one.

One wonders what Bill Walsh would have done by now.(?)
    I wonder why ESPN is avoiding putting the question to him....?
    They only seem to be asking certain people in order to fuel this debate in a bad light.

3. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

One year..??? Try more like 6...

Favre's been frustrated since the SherRossley era..and he's finally not putting up with it with TT...Why should he..? Good for him I say...Maybe some things will finally get done in GB and moving in the right direction...

One question I have for you "Favre haters/critiquers" though is how does TT rate over Favre in terms of what they have done so far for the GB Packer organization...? What has TT done that is comparable..??

Crickets...of course...The TT nutlickers...have no answer to that...

If you guys think Favre is supposed to act like you sniffing TT's *** and licking his balls like a subserviant, whipped dog, then you've got another thing coming....How does Lord TT warrant such treatment?

I could give a rats *** what that moron Packernation thinks...Keep him on his own useless forum...

Just remember this...Starr was lucky to have a great cast around him and a coach like Lombardi. He was a great player...but I say Favre is greater because he had to do it with a lesser coach....

It's thinking like this poster of this topic here which kept the Packers amongst the dregs of the NFL for 30 years...

Don't forget it...

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    wow, Prez, your post brought shithead out of retirement.

edit- i assumed that woulda censored that...meh, im not changing it.

5. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    When did you retire....???

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    is it pack66....or cheesey...

bad jokes everywhere today.

7. ahaug82

ahaug82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It knew it was only a matter of time until this thread got locked. :roll:

8. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    and P@ck66 comes back roaring out of the gates!!!!!

Anywho..how can you compare what Favre did in his entire career to what TT did in one? In his first year, TT has brought the Packers back to a sustainable salary cap situation from the bind that your boy MS put the team in as part of his effort to throw all of his eggs into one basket and win RIGHT NOW while brett was still around.

9. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Sherman couldn't do it because he was incompetent...

TT won't do it because he is a perverse..tight ***...when it comes to spending money and has some guru fantasy that he can build a team from scratch...

But you are right about one thing Musscy, my friend....

There is no comparison between Brett Favre and TT....

10. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I love your future seeing ways. They are idiotic yet entertaining. Welcome back, Pack66, KING OF THE HYPOCRITES

11. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    \

Holy buckets...we're already agreeing!

Favre: player, been here a while, thus has had time to establish his credibility, and is under TT's command

TT: a gm, no longer a player, has not had sufficient time to establish his credibility, and is ABOVE Brett.

you're right...no comparision...apples and oranges

12. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Getting Back to the Title of this Thread "What Favre should have done" Let me ask all you TT sheep: What favre has not done for this team ?

13. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    indicate to the team whether or not he'd HONOR the contract that HE signed and return to the team

14. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that true Musscy..?

Is TT really ABOVE Favre...or below him?

15. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Technically yes...he has the power to cut Brett...unfortunately, some fans feel that Brett and his desires are more important than that of an entire organization that has been around about 50 years longer than Brett has been alive, thus put pressure on TT to coddle Brett and give into to his wants and needs.

16. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Or maybe GB's HOF QB is just a little bit more important than a rookie GM from Seattle who's track record in the NFL's not that great....

Who's hands would you rather trust with the Green Bay Packer football organization...??

17. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    You guys made my night with this. Funny sparring and thank you for dropping it to get back on topic, I was laughing while I read it...

Nice new Avatar too 66. :roll:

18. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    TT then that new cat....sexyness!

19. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How is Ted Thompson's track record not that great? From wikipedia

During Thompsons time in Seattle, The Seahawks advanced to the playoffs in two of the five seasons there with several players Thompson helped acquired through the draft. Some of the notable players Thompson selected in his tenure with the Seahawks were running back Shaun Alexander, kicker Josh Brown, guard Steve Hutchinson, and wide receiver Darrell Jackson, cornerbacks Marcus Trufant and Ken Lucas, safeties Ken Hamlin and Michael Boulware.

If I'm not mistaken that is pretty bloody solid. He was a pretty big part in building the NFC champion team.

20. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    would I rather trust a football player w/ no personell experience who will be here one more year TOPS or a qualified GM who has brought the Packers back from salary cap issues and is cautiously building a stable and sustainable team through the draft who could be here for a number of years?

21. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    P@ck66....my argument isn't about who has done more (relatively speaking) for the franchise. Obviously someone who has been around for 15 years has done more...rather, my point is what is better for the short and long term future of the franchise? Should it be kissing the butt of one player who MIGHT be here for ONE more year TOPS...or should we focus efforts on what's best for the entire franchise for the short AND long term?

Holding on to the (likely) false hope that we will resurect a 4-12 team in one season to reward our future HOF qb for past services is, again, wishful thinking, and is a wishy-wash, disney mentality that probably won't succeed in the NFL

22. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    it doesnt matter what YOUR argument is, he will twist your words around to help HIS argument.

Sorry..im bitter today....Pack66's hypocritical return bummed me out..

What a liar...

23. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They are called "fair weather fans". The type that cheered Favre while he was bringing glory back to Green Bay, yet want to rip out his lungs the moment things turn sour. They will be jumping on some other bandwagon the moment Favre retires and the Pack starts going through growing pains with A-Rod as QB. They are kind of like groupies, the only difference in this case being the party has lasted 15 years. :roll:

'Nuff said.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

24. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    so being a packers fan through the hard times makes you a "fair weather fan?"

and a 2nd year GM who wont cut a HoF QB because hes given 14 years of service..means he doesnt have balls?

WHAT!?!?!?!?!

I'm surrounded by assholes - Spaceballs.

25. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A small amount of criticism doesn't equal hatred. Is it that hard to understand? Have you not criticized something your mother has done? Does doing so make you anti your mother?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.