Favore All Time Teams?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
What's your favorite all time teams in history? Not just Pack teams, I mean any. We all have those teams we loved from the past. Some of these are dream teams you may want to play Tecmo or Madden with. These are in no particular order

1986/1987 Cleveland Browns.
For my money this was the Browns best team. Great offense in West Coast with a skilled quarterback, great running game, and their defense was not that bad either. I do believe they would have won a Super Bowl preferably beating the Redskins, they would have beat one of those teams that Denver got destroyed by (but not the 49ers, the 1989 Browns really were not the same team).
With Kosar under center, and a good set of receivers, and HoF tight end, and the double running game, it's a shame they never did make it to a Super Bowl.

1990-1993 Houston Oilers.
I've got mad love for the old Oilers. Was a big fan of Warren Moon as a kid, and I will never stop hating the Titans for destroying the old Oilers.
The Run-And-Shoot formation had one of the best starting receiver lineups for it's time.You just can't go wrong with Curtis Duncan, Earnest Givens, Haywood Jeffries, and Drew Hill (Eventually replaced by Webster Slaughter). This was one of the first pass heavy offenses, and many tries to do Run and shoot after the success of Houston but they failed, as did Houston to ever win a Super Bowl.

1984 49ers
This your golden treasure that's been scratched up and forgot about years later. The 1984 49ers were the first team to ever post a 15-1 record. They had the #1 defense, and #2 offense (2nd to the Miami Dolphins that they slaughtered in the Super Bowl). While it's easy to say the Niners had so many good teams in the 80's, this one was without their greatest player of all time; Jerry Rice. When the 49ers are brought up, it's usually the 1988 and 1989 teams (which I do like better) that won back to back Super Bowls, but it's hard to not love this defense.

1996 Packers
Goes without saying, hard to not love the high powered offense and defense. I was young when I seen GB win the Super Bowl, and I still remember it. I waited 15 years to see it happen again with the 2010 Packers, and there is many resemblances, but the 1996 team holds a special place in my heart for being the first time I got to witness them win the Super Bowl.

1990 Bills
The "K-Gun" offense, and Bruce Smith on defense, hard to not like the Bills (besides being losers). They should have at least won a Super Bowl, if it wasn't for that missed field goal.
Watching old footage, the K-Gun is extremely fun to sit and watch. The no huddle, deep ball to Reed and Beebe, and Thurman Thomas also was a big play maker. There is a game somewhere against the 49ers where neither team punted the ball, that is one I found to be very fun to watch.

1977-1979 Cowboys
As much as I hate Dallas, I have much respect for Tom Landry, and his prime. The "Doomsday" Dime and Nickel packages from Tom Landry helped revolutionize the 4-3 in Football. Dallas is a team you either love or hate, but at the same time they've got many players in the past you can't help but love. Roger Staubach is one of my favorite quarterbacks of all time, and it's hard to not like Tony Dorsett.

1991-1992 Saints
Of course this was not their best team, but I have to hold them on a pedestal as it was some of the first games I ever seen when I was young, and one can never forget their first football game. The Dom Capers led "Dome Patrol" Defense were real monsters. Rickey Jackson, Wayne Martin, Vaughan Johnson, Sam Mills, and Pat Swilling. Back to back the Saints had the #1 ranked defense giving up the least points. This defense had 5 shut outs, and 27 games giving up 10 or less points. What they lacked was a real offense. Their only real weapon on offense was wide receiver Eric Martin. Even with a damn good defense, they still couldn't compete with the 49ers.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Oakland Raiders of the early '70s. Seemed like Stabler could just stand in the pocket for five minutes waiting for Branch or Biletnikoff to get open. Blanda could still come off the bench and get behind center if needed, and Marv Hubbard was reckless.
I'll always have a soft spot for the '72 Packers. What a great defense, and Brockington and Lane worked beautifully together. I still think they were sabotaged by Devine's play calling in the divisional game against the 'Skins.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Oakland Raiders of the early '70s. Seemed like Stabler could just stand in the pocket for five minutes waiting for Branch or Biletnikoff to get open. Blanda could still come off the bench and get behind center if needed, and Marv Hubbard was reckless.
I'll always have a soft spot for the '72 Packers. What a great defense, and Brockington and Lane worked beautifully together. I still think they were sabotaged by Devine's play calling in the divisional game against the 'Skins.

What a shame Stabler isn't in the HoF :( He was indeed awesome

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bogart, you mentioned a few Oilers & Bills teams from the early '90s...I still enjoy watching that '92 AFC Wild Card game. Just unbelievable.

Hype

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1986 Ny Giants....
The Big Blue Wrecking Crew(LT, Gary Reasons, Carl Banks, Harry Carson) coached by Bill Belichick. Their offense was great too with Phil Simms, Mark Bravaro, Joe Morris, Brad Benson leading the way. This decimated the opposition in the reg season and playoffs. As someone who despises anything affaliated with John Elway it was great to see the G-men take him down in the SB that year

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Bogart, you mentioned a few Oilers & Bills teams from the early '90s...I still enjoy watching that '92 AFC Wild Card game. Just unbelievable.

I know, it's crazy, and I can tell you a few theories on how the Oilers should have won. Had they won that game, they probably could have made it all the way, but I doubt they would have beat Dallas in the Super Bowl.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
1996 Packers. That year was magic for me. Also have a happy place for the 2010 Packers. Both those seasons were like living something out of a dream and I will never forget it.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
2009 Vikings. They were so good then reality hit them in the NFC championship game. "Maybe there is a reason the Packers didn't keep him..."

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of packers teams, I liked the 99 Rams - sooooo much fun to watch. Kurt Warner was one of my favorite players.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Just imagine if they had Barry on their team today, we'd REALLY be scared of the Lions.
Yes we would be but i would love to watch them. My favorite thing about Barry Sanders was that when he scored a TD he acted like he was there before (handed the ball to the ref) which I wish more players did.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last years team is right up there with anybody for me. The offense was fun and the defense was fun to watch. It times I wondered if they would make the playoffs but that playoff run was just something else.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I used to run a "predecessor" to Fantasy Football in the late 1980's. I had a computer program that made me essentially the League Commissioner. The program had each teams statistics programed in. Each "coach" filled out a 99 question sheet that asked such things as "What % of the time do you expect your opponent to run the ball on . . . ?" First and ten, first and more than ten, first and less than ten, etc. The program then basically played the team statistics against one another based on the percentages chosen by each "coach."
The only Super Bowl I won was with the 84 Niners so I loved the Montana era Niners as well. I actually had a "Lombardi" trophy of sorts for the winner. I also love the Phins because I loved Marino. I always wished he had won a Super Bowl (but not against the Packers).