Farve on Rodgers

Chillarfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was Favre's last shot at a Super Bowl. He played one more year in Minnesota before injuries and a declining team took him out of the race. Now a man of leisure, Favre felt more comfortable discussing the current quarterbacks he likes the most. For those wondering, Favre has no issue with Aaron Rodgers, the man who replaced him in Green Bay with great distinction.

"I knew when I left, this guy has all of the tools; he can beat you with his feet, he has a great arm, extremely accurate, handles the cast around him perfectly," Favre told

Full credit to: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-rodgers-loves-drew-brees-022729041--nfl.html

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seemed like he didn't really want to talk about Rodgers. He kept refering to Brady and Brees a lot more. I'm sure he knew he had to mention him otherwise he would look like a huge ******.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seemed like he didn't really want to talk about Rodgers. He kept refering to Brady and Brees a lot more. I'm sure he knew he had to mention him otherwise he would look like a huge ******.

too late for that

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Eh, like it matters anymore, right now the best PR for Favre to do is compliment Rodgers with what we all know and change the subject. I do like that he compares Romo to himself for if there is any other QB that I think of with Favre it is Romo too, just because Romo grew up rooting for Favre when he was younger.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
All you haters, what do you want? Should Favre go to Green Bay and in the middle of practice bend over and kiss Rodgers' ***? I don't think that would help you all. He couldn't have said anything better about Rodgers. "I knew when I left, this guy has all of the tools; he can beat you with his feet, he has a great arm, extremely accurate, handles the cast around him perfectly," What more can the guy say? I had my problems with the way he left but I'm over it. "Time marches on and so must I" Good advice.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
People who are still hating Favre look just as petty as they accuse Favre of being.
And you, Rocky11, and others who call those who don't like Favre "haters" is tiresome and unwarranted. For example, how would you respond to being called "Favre apologists", or worse?

If you want to forgive him go ahead but don't insist others do. Good advice.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying anyone should like him. I'm not saying you should feel any way. And I want to be clear that I am, in no way, defending Favre's actions in the past. I was at disgusted as anyone. But at some point in the last year or so, I cooled off, and I realized that the stuff he did from 2008 until now doesn't change the way I had felt about him from 1994 to 2008.

I'm just saying that football and the Packers have been much more enjoyable for me since I got over it. And as someone on the outside of the fight, I'm remarking on those who still argue about Favre, one way or the other.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2008 was close to a half decade ago. And things turned out pretty ok for the Pack. So I'd rather look forward to next season than worry about past hurt feelings.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not saying anyone should like him. I'm not saying you should feel any way… And as someone on the outside of the fight, I'm remarking on those who still argue about Favre, one way or the other.
That may be what you intended, but that's not what you posted:

People who are still hating Favre look just as petty as they accuse Favre of being.
In no way is that comment directed to those who still argue about Favre, "one way or the other" : That's just directed at just one side of the argument and by using the term "hating", IMO you did so in an unnecessarily derogatory way.

I didn't comment on what Favre said because until he offers a sincere apology to the Packers organization and to Packers fans I really don't care what he says. I'm on record saying I don't like Favre, but I don’t hate him. I don't care enough about him to hate him as I save that kind of emotion for those who I see as the real villains in this world. I just don't respect him as a man and I view him as a traitor to the Packers organization, an organization I was a fan of before he was born. Some fans love him, and I don't care if they do or not. Some fans don't view him as a traitor to the Packers and I don't care if they do or not. Some do view him as a traitor and forgive him for those actions and I don't care if they do or not. I'll I am advocating for is those who disagree with me give me and those of us who haven't forgiven Favre the same latitude.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I initially only commented to the "Favre Haters" because this forum currently has no vocal "Favre Lovers". If, prior to my comment, others had been chiming in saying that Favre had done no wrong or that the Packers screwed him, I'd have leveled a shot their way too.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God, I thought this subject died weeks ago...

And you, Rocky11, and others who call those who don't like Favre "haters" is tiresome and unwarranted. For example, how would you respond to being called "Favre apologists", or worse?

If you want to forgive him go ahead but don't insist others do. Good advice.

You affirm the "hater" designation by responding to it the way you have here.

That may be what you intended, but that's not what you posted:
In no way is that comment directed to those who still argue about Favre, "one way or the other" : That's just directed at just one side of the argument and by using the term "hating", IMO you did so in an unnecessarily derogatory way.

I didn't comment on what Favre said because until he offers a sincere apology to the Packers organization and to Packers fans I really don't care what he says. I'm on record saying I don't like Favre, but I don’t hate him. I don't care enough about him to hate him as I save that kind of emotion for those who I see as the real villains in this world. I just don't respect him as a man and I view him as a traitor to the Packers organization, an organization I was a fan of before he was born. Some fans love him, and I don't care if they do or not. Some fans don't view him as a traitor to the Packers and I don't care if they do or not. Some do view him as a traitor and forgive him for those actions and I don't care if they do or not. I'll I am advocating for is those who disagree with me give me and those of us who haven't forgiven Favre the same latitude.

If you don't hate Favre then the original statement obviously doesn't apply to you. And if you don't care about the way others view Favre, I don't understand why you would devote resources to responding like this.

It's one thing to harbor animosity for a man (or "not respect him as a man" or "not like him" or whatever) but it's another thing altogether to broadcast it whenever the guy's name comes up. I'm looking at you, Toolkien.

To the original poster: Why? :tdown:

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That 6 int playoff loss to St Louis back 2001 or so still bugs me, when I think of Farve. His love affair with the Queens and the subsequent bashing of Packer management a few years later has left a bad taste in my mouth about him. The nineties where his best years as a Packer, no doubt.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this issue will ever be settled. I think some of us on both sides will never let it go.

Meh. It's part of being a passionate fan and having strong feeling on some subjects.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You affirm the "hater" designation by responding to it the way you have here.
That is as misguided an interpretation of a sentence as I’ve seen for some time. It is analogous to interpreting my posting ‘Those who use the “N” word are wrong’ as affirming the “N” word designation. I put “haters” in quotes for a reason as I was doing the opposite of affirming it.

If you don't hate Favre then the original statement obviously doesn't apply to you. And if you don't care about the way others view Favre, I don't understand why you would devote resources to responding like this.
I don’t care how others view Favre but I do care how those of us who don’t like Favre are characterized. That’s why I made the distinction between not respecting or liking him vs. hating him. Regarding the “resources” I devoted, thanks for your concern but my portfolio is intact. It just cost me the time it took to type it and I type very fast – learned on a clunker typewriter over 40-some years ago.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
A sincere apology and a Ted was right comment would be a nice start.
I think a bit of humility on BF's part would go a long way. Why should the Packer nation show the love when he himself hasn't shown any love in return? Brett Favre has definitely been a key player in the GB Packer success story and we should be grateful for that. But likewise, the GB Packers were instrumental in his personal success story for which he should be grateful.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is as misguided an interpretation of a sentence as I’ve seen for some time. It is analogous to interpreting my posting ‘Those who use the “N” word are wrong’ as affirming the “N” word designation. I put “haters” in quotes for a need as I was doing the opposite of affirming it.

Terrible analogy: The N-bomb is racist term applied on the basis of an individual's immutable personal characteristics. Obviously the term "hater" carries a certain connotation but let's not pretend that the slanted characterization of an opinion rises to the same level as affirming racism. If you weren't a hater to begin with, there was no need to respond.

I don’t care how others view Favre but I do care how those of us who don’t like Favre are characterized. That’s why I made the distinction between not respecting or liking him vs. hating him. Regarding the “resources” I devoted, thanks for your concern but my portfolio is intact. It just cost me the time it took to type it and I type very fast – learned on a clunker typewriter over 40-some years ago.

Why? -Your position on Favre has been thoughtfully articulated elsewhere. I don't see where Rocky11 has specifically attacked your views on the subject here and I don't understand the need to articulate a more nuanced position toward Favre on behalf of all those that have somehow been mischaracterized. Your indignation on their behalf is head-scratching and the exercise isn't consistent with someone who doesn't care how people feel about Favre. Basically, it amounts to perpetuating a tired dialogue that left everyone exasperated after the last six page thread devoted to the topic. I don't see why we have to go to the mattresses over this again...

I guess I've got to simply ignore this thread but I don't understand why fans of this organization, which has gone on to bigger and better things since Favre, must be constantly reminded about this spat.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
All you haters, what do you want? Should Favre go to Green Bay and in the middle of practice bend over and kiss Rodgers' ***? e.

That would be fine with me. But, getting Favre all the way to GB is likely too much to ask. So, maybe Brett can just text a photo of his lips to Aaron to be self-applied to said buttocks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Terrible analogy: The N-bomb is racist term applied on the basis of an individual's immutable personal characteristics. Obviously the term "hater" carries a certain connotation but let's not pretend that the slanted characterization of an opinion rises to the same level as affirming racism. If you weren't a hater to begin with, there was no need to respond.
You are either having a problem with language or logic. The N word can be replaced with any negative term incorrectly applied to a person or group. Two posters referred to "Favre haters". I called the use of that term tiresome (its been refuted more than once) and unwarranted. "Unwarranted" means "not justified" or "not deserved". I would think it would be unnecessary to define that term but since you somehow interpreted what I posted as affirming the "hater" designation, I thought it may help you understand it.
Why? -Your position on Favre has been thoughtfully articulated elsewhere. I don't see where Rocky11 has specifically attacked your views on the subject here and I don't understand the need to articulate a more nuanced position toward Favre on behalf of all those that have somehow been mischaracterized. Your indignation on their behalf is head-scratching and the exercise isn't consistent with someone who doesn't care how people feel about Favre. Basically, it amounts to perpetuating a tired dialogue that left everyone exasperated after the last six page thread devoted to the topic. I don't see why we have to go to the mattresses over this again...

I guess I've got to simply ignore this thread but I don't understand why fans of this organization, which has gone on to bigger and better things since Favre, must be constantly reminded about this spat.

The irony of your post is I didn't specifically address you, yet you chimed in to comment on my post. You did the exact same thing you are criticizing me for doing. This, like your comment on my "affirming" a term the use of which I criticized, is misguided. Both of us along with every other poster here are free to comment on the posts of others as long as we do so within the rules, whether they are directed at us or not.

You finally got it right in the last sentence: if you don't want to read about it, don't. And I humbly suggest that if you are concerned about perpetuating a tired dialogue, stop doing it.

Members online

Latest posts