Farve has helped Green Bay one more time!

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For as many times over the years Brett Farve has helped Green Bay return to and maintain national recognition and domination. Well my good friends he has done it again in a way you might not even know.

Two years ago heading into his last off-season Brett Farve still didn't know if he would be returning to the team or retire. Of course Green Bay knew what they had in Aaron Rodgers because they saw him everyday in practice. The Packers moved on forcing Farve to make a decision too retire, subsequently Green Bay used their 2nd round pick that year on Brian Brohm and a 5th Rounder on Matt Flynn. Once the Summer rolled around Frave decide he wanted to return to the game and we all know what has happened since then.

Well you ask how did Farve help Green Bay. Here it is - approaching the NFL Draft one of Green Bay's primary needs was at TE and I remember reading an article in the Press-Gazette on how if Brett would have told them sooner that he was coming back then they would have used that 2nd round pick on a TE instead of Brohm. The TE they were looking at was Martellas Bennett who was drafted by the Cowboys leaving Green Bay with having to draft Jermichael Finley on the 3rd Round.

Now I know the draft isn't a complete science and you have to have some luck, but the addition of Finley in Green Bay's offense is like the addition of Mathews on Green Bay's Defense. I don't know a Packer Fan out here that wouldn't have traded that 2nd Round Pick along with the 3rd Round Pick for Finley.

He is head and heals better then Bennett and I would go as far to say that he could be the top TE in the NFL being in Green Bay's system very soon.

As I began this thread with the indecision of Brett Farve and Green Bay's decision to move on let Finley fall to Green Bay. Ladies and Gentlemen he has Antonio Gates written all over him because he has the downfield speed and size to create uncover-able match-ups.

Enjoy Packer Fans for years to come

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Meh

Not like he did us any favors there. That was just a coincidence. One can say TT did GB a favor by trading him to the Jets and we got a pick we used for Matthews.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man's all heart.

(I got this line from a Beverly Hillbillies episode where Uncle Jed was bragging to his cousin, "That Mr. Drysdale is a helluva nice man. He lets me keep all my millions in his bank and doesn't charge me a cent!" ...To which is cousin replies, "The man's all heart!"

.....quite possibly the greatest exchange in the history of American comedic TV. :))

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Finley is not better than Dallas Clark/Vernon Davis/Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez. I like the guy a lot, but let's not overstate things.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Finley is not better than Dallas Clark/Vernon Davis/Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez. I like the guy a lot, but let's not overstate things.

Comparing a 2nd year starter to vets with lot more years starting experience makes no sense

wow de-ja-vu

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't understand how Brett gave us Finley, I mean like the guy was nearly forcing us to get Randy Moss. Although it wouldn't have been such a bad decision now that I think about it.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Finely very well could be one of the best in the league. He's still marinating, lol. He seems to have great speed, athleticism, and hands. Not to mention the dude is BIG!!!! If he can stay healthy, we got a good set of TE's. Finley, Lee, and Havner. Not too shabby.

OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Top-35 Tight Ends conclude of our season-ending Dynasty rankings series. For earlier installments, see the following:

Top-50 Quarterbacks
Top-65 Running Backs
Top-90 Wide Receivers

Tight Ends

Tier One

1. Antonio Gates, Chargers | Age: 30.3 – After an injured-filled disappointing 2008, Gates returned to the elite same elite player he was from 2004 through 2007. Though 2009 wasn't his best fantasy season thanks to a mediocre touchdown total, it was Gates' best NFL season. He's earned the No. 1 spot going into 2010.

2. Jermichael Finley, Packers | Age: 23.6 – A physical mismatch for linebackersand safeties, the fast-rising Finley is drawing comparisons to a young Tony Gonzalez as the Packers' biggest matchup problem. His catch rate was behind only Jason Witten among tight ends, and he was flat-out uncoverable at times late in the season. An incredible athlete, the 23-year-old has the advantage of playing with the brightest young quarterback in the league.

3. Jason Witten, Cowboys | Age: 28.4 – You could make the argument that Witten is due for a healthy bounce-back in touchdowns next season, but he's now had four TDs or less in three of the past four seasons. While he's still a lock for 85 catches and 900+ yards, the Cowboys just have too many other quality options at the goal-line.

4. Dallas Clark, Colts | Age: 31.3 – The good news is that Clark's 100 receptions were the second-most in history for a tight end, behind only Tony Gonzalez's 102 in 2004. The bad news is that Clark will be 31-years-old entering the 2010 season.

5. Vernon Davis, 49ers | Age: 26.8 – Finally making good on his freakish talent, Davis was a playmaking monster all over the field once Alex Smith took over as quarterback. The two have obvious chemistry, which is a slight problem as Smith hardly inspires confidence as the solution to the Niners' QB problems.

Tier Two

6. Brent Celek, Eagles | Age: 25.8 – Celek is steadily improving as a blocker, but it's his speed and after-the-catch ability that sets him apart. The six-year, $33 million extension guarantees the he remains a top option in the Philly passing game for years to come.

7. Kellen Winslow, Buccaneers | Age: 27.2 – Rookie Josh Freeman was surprisingly good for Winslow's value. The tight end is now the focal point of the Bucs passing offense, though that could change if the Bucs reel in a legit No. 1 receiver this offseason.

8. Owen Daniels, Texans | Age: 27.10 – Daniels was basically used as the Texans' No. 2 receiver behind Andre Johnson before he suffered the third ACL injury of his career last season. The injury ruins his chances of signing a monster contract with the Texans this offseason, but at least he'll return to a Gary Kubiakoffense in 2010.

9. Zach Miller, Raiders | Age: 24.9 – Did you buy low late in the season? Miller continues to impress as the one member of the Raiders offense who can produce despite shoddy quarterback play. He should knock on the door to the Top-5 if the Raiders finally unearth a legit NFL passer.

10. Chris Cooley, Redskins | Age: 28.2 – A trade chip for Mike Shanahan? Fred Davis played well down the stretch, and the new regime in D.C. would welcome the opportunity to land more draft picks.

11. Greg Olsen, Bears | Age: 25.6 – Couldn't make the leap in 2009 despite even while playing alongside an underwhelming group of wide receivers. As Vernon Davis can attest, Olsen would be screwed if Mike Martz somehow lands the offensive coordinator job.

Tier Three

12. Dustin Keller, Jets | Age: 26.0 – Keller's nice playoff run illustrated his solid hands, good route running, red-zone presence, and impressive after-the-catch ability. Keller has one thing keeping him from every-week stud status: he can't run block on a team that prides itself on a "ground and pound" attack.

13. Tony Gonzalez, Falcons | Age: 34.7 – Still elite but the best tight end of all time is another year closer to the end, turning 34 in February. Shannon Sharpe is the only tight end in history to record a 500-yard season at Gonzalez's age.

14. Heath Miller, Steelers | Age: 27.11 – Was 2009 the start of a trend or simply a career year? I'd lean toward the former with the Steelers' owner and head coach making it clear that re-establishing the running game is the No. 1 offensive priority in 2010.

15. John Carlson, Seahawks | Age: 26.4 – According to then-coach Jim Mora, Carlson had trouble clearing linebackers at the second level. That, and staying in to block, killed his fantasy value in 2009.

16. Tony Scheffler, Broncos | Age: 27.7 - Still among the most effective pass-catching tight ends in the league, Scheffler wass simply under-utilized in Josh McDaniels' offense. The Vernon Davis lesson should teach Dynasty leaguers not to sleep on a talented tight end coming out of a bad situation. Scheffler is fully expected to be dealt this offseason, and that's all he needs to regain weekly fantasy relevance.
Tier Four

17. Visanthe Shiancoe, Vikings | Age: 30.3 – Similar to Sidney Rice, Shiancoe's value is highly dependent on the return of Brett Favre. Due to reach the age-30 mark this summer, he's not much of an asset outside the red zone.

18. Jared Cook, Titans | Age: 23.5 – Freakishly talented receiver/tight end hybrid should see a dramatic increase in playing time with Bo Scaife's Titans future in question. Part of an interesting collection of emerging young talent in Tennessee with Chris Johnson, Vince Young, and Kenny Britt.

19. Brandon Pettigrew, Lions | Age: 25.7 – Just when he was starting to show serious promise, the No. 20 overall pick tore his ACL. Reports out of Detroit indicate he could begin the 2010 season on the PUP list.

20. Fred Davis, Redskins | Age: 24.8 – Not on Chris Cooley's level yet as an all-around player, but he's proven to be a more effective red-zone weapon. Davis has earned an increase in snaps for 2010, but his fantasy value is entirely dependant on a Cooley trade.

21. Martellus Bennett, Cowboys | Age: 23.6 – The ultra-talented second fiddle took a step back in 2009, losing snaps to John Philips down the stretch in a penalty-filled season. Bennett has the ability to be a fantasy stud, but he's nothing more than a roster decoration for the next couple of seasons.

Tier Five

22. Kevin Boss, Giants | Age: 26.8 – Dynasty owners couldn't give him away at mid-season, but Boss finished as a rock-solid TE2 with a career season.

23. Marcedes Lewis, Jaguars | Age: 26.4 – Lewis is a frustrating player to own because he has the athleticism, size, and now the elite blocking ability. On the flip side, his hands are inconsistent and speedy Zach Miller threatens to steal passing-down snaps going forward.

24. Jeremy Shockey, Saints | Age: 30.1 – Constantly battling through nagging injuries, Shockey is no longer a weekly starting option. Wait for him to open the season strong, and then deal him before the injuries start to kick in.

25. Todd Heap, Ravens | Age: 30.6 – See Shockey's comments.

26. Ben Watson, Patriots | Age: 29.9 – Watson finished No. 1 in footballoutsiders.com's DVOA rankings, but the Patriots are fully expected to let him walk. He's in dire need of a fresh start elsewhere.

Tier Six

27. Evan Moore, Browns | Age: 25.8 – A 6'6, 247-pound former basketball player and wide receiver at Stanford, Moore flashed soft hands and impressive athleticism down the stretch. He's an ideal roster stash/flier.

28. Gary Barnidge, Panthers | Age: 25.0 – My favorite deep sleeper at tight end, Barnidge has 4.6 speed and soft hands. Behind Steve Smith, he's the best pass-catching option on the team.

29. Zach Miller, Jaguars | Age: 25.11 – Another fine roster stash, Miller is a former quarterback who flashed impressive speed and solid hands in a 15-catch December.

30. David Thomas, Saints | Age: 27.2 – Thomas filled in beautifully in the Billy Miller down the stretch, but his fantasy value revolves around Shockey's health.

31. Bo Scaife, Titans | Age: 29.8 – Scaife's yardage numbers aren't bad, but he's one of the least effective per-play tight ends in the league. Unlikely to be brought back in Tennessee at a $5.91 million tender offer, he'll struggle to find a starting job on the open market.

32. Shawn Nelson, Bills | Age: 24.11 – One of the league's least effective tight ends in footballoutsiders' metrics, Nelson deserves a mulligan in the Bills' lifeless offense.

33. James Casey, Texans | Age: 26.0 – Had an opportunity in the second half with Daniels' ACL injury, but he ended up riding the pine behind Joel Dreessen.

34. Anthony Fasano, Dolphins | Age: 26.5 – Coming off an awful season in 2009. Where's the upside?

35. Tie: Chase Coffman, Bengals | Age: 23.10 / Cornelius Ingram, Eagles | Age: 25.3 – Both players are young, athletic pass-catchers with loads of potential and checkered injury histories.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubted Finley tons early, and in the middle of the season.

His first year he couldn't block, he had ZERO awareness of the ball, had bad routes... He only had athleticism and good hands.

But late this season, for crying out loud, the kid is running VERY GOOD routes, blocks VERY WELL, has tons of awareness when the play breaks, abd have incredible soft hands (best in the team, according to Rodgers).

The only area where I'd like him to improve is his YAC... He's not really agile, he won't make people miss, but he has to be a little more physical, he needs to blow up people more.

But the rest, he's up there with the best in the league...

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Texas fan, I was of course upset that he left early (after sophomore season) to declare himself eligible for the draft. I wanted to see him play there for at least one more year, but that's the UT fan talking there. When we drafted Finley I couldn't have been more excited!! I knew he still had a lot of learning to do, but it's nice when a player from your fav team goes to your fav team :)

Like PackersRS said, his 1st year he didn't do a whole lot. But he really came out of nowhere this past season (esp the 2nd half).

The future is looking good for us at the TE postion.

GO PACK GO!!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
For as many times over the years Brett Farve has helped Green Bay return to and maintain national recognition and domination. Well my good friends he has done it again in a way you might not even know.

Two years ago heading into his last off-season Brett Farve still didn't know if he would be returning to the team or retire. Of course Green Bay knew what they had in Aaron Rodgers because they saw him everyday in practice. The Packers moved on forcing Farve to make a decision too retire, subsequently Green Bay used their 2nd round pick that year on Brian Brohm and a 5th Rounder on Matt Flynn. Once the Summer rolled around Frave decide he wanted to return to the game and we all know what has happened since then.

Well you ask how did Farve help Green Bay. Here it is - approaching the NFL Draft one of Green Bay's primary needs was at TE and I remember reading an article in the Press-Gazette on how if Brett would have told them sooner that he was coming back then they would have used that 2nd round pick on a TE instead of Brohm. The TE they were looking at was Martellas Bennett who was drafted by the Cowboys leaving Green Bay with having to draft Jermichael Finley on the 3rd Round.

Now I know the draft isn't a complete science and you have to have some luck, but the addition of Finley in Green Bay's offense is like the addition of Mathews on Green Bay's Defense. I don't know a Packer Fan out here that wouldn't have traded that 2nd Round Pick along with the 3rd Round Pick for Finley.

He is head and heals better then Bennett and I would go as far to say that he could be the top TE in the NFL being in Green Bay's system very soon.

As I began this thread with the indecision of Brett Farve and Green Bay's decision to move on let Finley fall to Green Bay. Ladies and Gentlemen he has Antonio Gates written all over him because he has the downfield speed and size to create uncover-able match-ups.

Enjoy Packer Fans for years to come

I'm sorry Sunshine, but... your theory gave me a headache. As opposed to posting a picture of a bunny rabbit with a pancake on his head, I'm instead going to post the following:

post hoc fallacy - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

post hoc fallacy

The post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this therefore because of this) fallacy is based upon the mistaken notion that simply because one thing happens after another, the first event was a cause of the second event. Post hoc reasoning is the basis for many superstitions and erroneous beliefs.
Many events follow sequential patterns without being causally related. For example, you have a cold, so you drink fluids and two weeks later your cold goes away. You have a headache so you stand on your head and six hours later your headache goes away. You put acne medication on a pimple and three weeks later the pimple goes away. You perform some task exceptionally well after forgetting to bathe, so the next time you have to perform the same task you don't bathe. A solar eclipse occurs so you beat your drums to make the gods spit back the sun. The sun returns, proving to you the efficacy of your action.
You use your dowsing stick and then you find water. You imagine heads coming up on a coin toss and heads comes up. You rub your lucky charm and what you wish for comes true. You lose your lucky charm and you strike out six times. You have a "vision" that a body is going to be found near water or in a field and later a body is found near water or in a field. You have a dream that an airplane crashes and an airplane crashes the next day or crashed the night before.
However, sequences don't establish a probability of causality any more than correlations do. Coincidences happen. Occurring after an event is not sufficient to establish that the prior event caused the later one. To establish the probability of a causal connection between two events, controls must be established to rule out other factors such as chance or some unknown causal factor. Anecdotes aren't sufficient because they rely on intuition and subjective interpretation. A controlled study is necessary to reduce the chance of error from self-deception.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Weeds ^

I don't think Brent can be credited with a bunch of things that happened just because he did this or that unless he had some direct involvement.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hahaha, Weeds. I hadn't heard of that before. Sunshine seems to be claiming as such. HERSCHEL WALKER BASICALLY WON ALL THOSE SB's FOR THE COWBOYS DONTCHA KNOW???

OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To everyone who has an alternative view your entitled to it. Maybe you took what I meant the wrong way. Of course Brett had nothing to do with us drafting Finley, but it was just the way everything worked out. If Brett says he's returning in February-March then Green Bay maybe doesn't draft a QB in the 2nd round with the pressing needs they had especially at TE, However since he did their needs changed from TE to QB, which meant the needed to act quickly when Brohm fell to them.

Had this situation not unfold this way then we most probably would have taken a TE like Bennett because the position is so important for a West Coast type of Offense. In the end of course Brett had nothing to do with it, but his decision to retire pushing GB to draft a QB because at the time they had no depth at the position and didn't know if Rodgers could stay healthy for a season played out to where we had to settle for Finley a less accomplished prospect with potential.

In the end it looks like things have worked out great for Green Bay as with Rodgers. The more all-pro type players we can get the better our team will be.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Finley is a great young talent. It is wayyyy too early to call him the best tight end in the league. He's not at the Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates, or Anthony Gonzales level yet. His blocking also needs to improve quite a bit in my opinion. Why separates a great tight end from just another playmaker is blocking ability. God knows we will need it with our offensive line.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Ok Sunshine... so you suckered me too. Good job...I'm proud to make your acquaintance. Excellent presentation and construction ... ya got me and that's not so easy.

Now however, I reserve my right to retaliate. ;)

Finley ... you ARE 100% dead on. The kid has turned into something special and I think that he and Rodgers are going to be even more of a handful for NFL defenses than they were this year.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
A young, top flight QB just coming into his own (only he doesn't need to get verbally assaulted by his HC to not throw "rocket balls") and a young, physical mismatch of a receiver (sort of reminds me of Sterling Sharpe)... Where have we seen this before? And Jennings is still only 26 as well... Then you have Jones and Jordy... Man, this offense is going to be killer for a long time.

Next year the Rodgers to Finley express should be fun to watch (unless you are the opposing DC).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts