Farve has helped Green Bay one more time!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To everyone who has an alternative view your entitled to it. Maybe you took what I meant the wrong way. Of course Brett had nothing to do with us drafting Finley, but it was just the way everything worked out. If Brett says he's returning in February-March then Green Bay maybe doesn't draft a QB in the 2nd round with the pressing needs they had especially at TE, However since he did their needs changed from TE to QB, which meant the needed to act quickly when Brohm fell to them.

Had this situation not unfold this way then we most probably would have taken a TE like Bennett because the position is so important for a West Coast type of Offense. In the end of course Brett had nothing to do with it, but his decision to retire pushing GB to draft a QB because at the time they had no depth at the position and didn't know if Rodgers could stay healthy for a season played out to where we had to settle for Finley a less accomplished prospect with potential.

In the end it looks like things have worked out great for Green Bay as with Rodgers. The more all-pro type players we can get the better our team will be.

Did TT really draft for NEED in that draft or was he taking the best player available? If QB was such a critical need then why did TT trade down? Furthermore TT could have just as easily picked Brohm with that 1st rounder because many college scouts projected him as a first round draft pick. Instead TT traded down and chose Jordy Nelson with his first pick in the draft, a receiver? why didn't he take brohm even then??

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
A young, top flight QB just coming into his own (only he doesn't need to get verbally assaulted by his HC to not throw "rocket balls") and a young, physical mismatch of a receiver (sort of reminds me of Sterling Sharpe)... Where have we seen this before? And Jennings is still only 26 as well... Then you have Jones and Jordy... Man, this offense is going to be killer for a long time.

Next year the Rodgers to Finley express should be fun to watch (unless you are the opposing DC).

Totally agree. Finley will be one of the top TE's in the NFL at some point in the next few years. He's got some work to do though. That being said, he is still currently very dangerous for opposing defenses. A guy that can line up flanked out wide and really confuse opposing teams. So glad he has emerged. We haven't had a serious threat at tight end since Chmura exposed himself to a minor.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Totally agree. Finley will be one of the top TE's in the NFL at some point in the next few years. He's got some work to do though. That being said, he is still currently very dangerous for opposing defenses. A guy that can line up flanked out wide and really confuse opposing teams. So glad he has emerged. We haven't had a serious threat at tight end since Chmura exposed himself to a minor.

This guy is the most physically gifted TE since Keith Jackson (and we got him when he was winding down). I loved Chewie but he was a punishing blocker and traditional, sit in the seam for the first down TE. If Finley gets a little bit better at blocking you are talking about Tony Gonzales kind of good... Not taking anything from Chewie but they are totally different types of players (of course you knew that but I am just saying).

Correct me if I am mistaken but had Finley not come out early, wouldn't this upcoming year be his rookie year? I think he came out as a sophomore, so even last year he should have still been in college... Damn - the kid has a lot of room to grow when you think about it that way.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
This guy is the most physically gifted TE since Keith Jackson (and we got him when he was winding down). I loved Chewie but he was a punishing blocker and traditional, sit in the seam for the first down TE. If Finley gets a little bit better at blocking you are talking about Tony Gonzales kind of good... Not taking anything from Chewie but they are totally different types of players (of course you knew that but I am just saying).

Correct me if I am mistaken but had Finley not come out early, wouldn't this upcoming year be his rookie year? I think he came out as a sophomore, so even last year he should have still been in college... Damn - the kid has a lot of room to grow when you think about it that way.

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. I agree he is amazing, very physically gifted, and one of the best young talents in the league. I'm merely saying he has a little room to grow yet. There are a few small things he needs to work on. Having said that, I love the kid and he is one of the players I am extremely excited to watch play next season. The plays he is capable of making, (especially in the corner of the end zone) are breathtaking.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Don't misinterpret what I'm saying.

Not trying to at all - I just think that the Chewy comparison was the wrong one - especially since the right comparison was playing with Chewy on the same team.

I understand your underlying point, just interjecting that Chewy was more of a "throw back", smash mouth TE and Jackson was a guy who was a physical mismatch that stretched the field. I wasn't at all trying to "misrepresent" anything, just thought I'd add what I added since we are talking about Finley and Jackson seems to me to be the perfect comparison.

That is all - nothing more nothing less... Sorry if you thought I was trying to do something else - I wasn't.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Not trying to at all - I just think that the Chewy comparison was the wrong one - especially since the right comparison was playing with Chewy on the same team.

I understand your underlying point, just interjecting that Chewy was more of a "throw back", smash mouth TE and Jackson was a guy who was a physical mismatch that stretched the field. I wasn't at all trying to "misrepresent" anything, just thought I'd add what I added since we are talking about Finley and Jackson seems to me to be the perfect comparison.

That is all - nothing more nothing less... Sorry if you thought I was trying to do something else - I wasn't.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to compare him to Chewy, I was just saying that Finley is the best tight end we've had since Chewy. I loved Chewy. Great blocker, played hard, very reliable, had great hands, and had a knack for getting open. Great player, but yes, very different from Finley.

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are correct sir. :) He passed on his Jr. and Sr. seasons at Texas and declared waaaay early for the draft. I'm glad we picked him up, but like a lot of players who declare that early for the draft, they might have been better off playing at least one more year in college. There's just so much to learn before you can go to the NFL. But, fortunately for us, it looks like Finley is catching up to speed :happy0005: