Falcons game, The Coaches blew it

Angel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched the replay of the falcons game and the coaches blew the game by not throwing the red flag in the 2nd quarter when the Falcons went for it on 4th down. It was an obvious incomplete pass which ended up costing the Pack 7 pts., maybe more if the Pack would have scored. Even the announcers said the play should be reviewed, how do the coaches miss this??

packerswin96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did not have a replay to look at until well after the next play was run, it happens on the road sometimes (there should be a rule by the NFL about that). Having said that it was a super important play and should have been challenged anyways.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched the replay of the falcons game and the coaches blew the game by not throwing the red flag in the 2nd quarter when the Falcons went for it on 4th down. It was an obvious incomplete pass which ended up costing the Pack 7 pts., maybe more if the Pack would have scored. Even the announcers said the play should be reviewed, how do the coaches miss this??

1) Why are we still beating this to death? It's been covered numerous times already.

2) There was nothing obvious about that 4th down completion. It looked like a good catch. Even Atlanta thought it was a good catch as they didn't exactly rush to the line to snap the ball as evidenced by the 4 seconds remaining on a 40 second playclock.

3) It's already been established that the replay seen by the announcers, and us in the viewing audience, was shown much quicker than the replay in the coaching booth. The coaches didn't get to see their replay until well after the next play had been run. As such, there was no way for them to review the play with enough time to challenge it.

You can say he should have all you want, but hindsight is 20/20. I will also remind you that we were the beneficiaries of a similar scenario in the Vikings game, when Quarless made his TD catch. The Vikings never saw a replay until after the extra point was kicked, and as such, were unable to challenge the catch. Such is the way of homefield advantage.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did not have a replay to look at until well after the next play was run, it happens on the road sometimes (there should be a rule by the NFL about that). Having said that it was a super important play and should have been challenged anyways.

But how ca you say that? At the time it happened, there was nothing to indicate Gonzales missed the catch. It's easy to look back and say, "I should have done this," but the real world doesn't work that way.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But how ca you say that? At the time it happened, there was nothing to indicate Gonzales missed the catch. It's easy to look back and say, "I should have done this," but the real world doesn't work that way.
To play Devils Advocate here McCarthy has thrown some stupid flags in his day and this just seemed like one of those times.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To play Devils Advocate here McCarthy has thrown some stupid flags in his day and this just seemed like one of those times.

Heh, not really playing devils advocate. In a close game like this, he could have decided it was better to keep the challenge for the second half, should he need it, than risk it on a play that looked like it was a good play.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because of how important the play was.

OK, but if he blindly throws it, gets it wrong, and it costs us later, you're criticizing him for that too.

Yes, it bit us in the ***, but honestly, I dunno how he could have played it any better, except to just challenge it for the sake of challenging it. He had no evidence the pass was incomplete. None. He would have been gambling both a timeout and a challenge on a call he had no evidence was bad.

jakeslaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did McCarthy or Rodgers come out and say what happened on two sneaks in a row?? The first one looked like Rodgers seen the dline on their knees and tried to walk one in but the second looked called.. either aaron called his own number twice or mccarthy called a real bad play...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This wouldn't even be an issue at all if the Pack was an elite lights out team.
It is sooo damn frustrating that they aren't when there are close losses like this.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, the Falcons look like the power team McCarthy has always talked about being. We're still a passing team, and until the o-line takes over control of the line of scrimmage it's not going to change.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another coaching decision that made NO SENSE was when the Falcons has 1st and goal before half. The Packers had TWO timeouts and used NONE!?? Instead they let the Falcons run the clock down and score with practically no time left. If they had used their timeouts they could have gotten the ball back with over a minute to go, plenty of time for a field goal.

They lost by a field goal.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This wouldn't even be an issue at all if the Pack was an elite lights out team.
It is sooo damn frustrating that they aren't when there are close losses like this.

Yeah, well, when you get 13 guys to go out on IR, you're bound to lose a little bit of your dominance..

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing I would like to see is having the booth review plays throughout the ENTIRE game. Is it not the official's job to get the calls right? Why should it be up to the coaches to correct their mistakes? This makes no sense to me. The booth should be able to buzz down for review whenever they see a play that clearly needs to be reviewed. It's their damn job. Not the coaches.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Another thing I would like to see is having the booth review plays throughout the ENTIRE game. Is it not the official's job to get the calls right? Why should it be up to the coaches to correct their mistakes? This makes no sense to me. The booth should be able to buzz down for review whenever they see a play that clearly needs to be reviewed. It's their damn job. Not the coaches.

in every nfl game the booth seems to pay no attention unless its under 2 min in the 2nd or 4th quarter

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Both sides of this argument make good points. It was a fourth down play. None of the players on the the field had a good view or else they would have screamed at the coach to throw a flag. No one on the sideline had a good view. The people in the booth did not have time to see a replay.....but what if they would have called a timeout? Wouldn't that have given them time to see a replay and then throw the flag? If no one could see what happened....do something!!!!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I don't blame McCarthy on not using a challenge there, YES it was crucial but think of the game and what might be even more crucial calls that you would of loved to use but all the challenges have been used. The only exection was that this was a 4th down play. The Packers had something similar during their game versus the Vikings at home. So we saw both sides of the coin, and frankly I would think victory over the Vikings is more important than the Falcons.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree calling a timeout would have been the smarter thing to do in that instance. Some situational awareness would have totally helped.

He's human. He made a mistake. Hopefully he'll learn from the experience and game plan for it better. It's easy for us to sit back and diagnose the situation and point fingers, but any one of us could have been in the same position and had a similar result.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Because you know the outcome already

thats called hind sight

What if next play we get a pick 6?

Still important?

With all due respect longtimefan, yes it is hindsight but almost any fourth down conversion in an intense game is viewed as important. Even during the game it felt like a blow when it happened. Looking at the first replay, it took me two times seeing it to see the ball hit the ground. The second one shown later removed all doubt that it wasn't caught but it was too late.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches didn't blow this one...Sorry guys, it was me, I blew it for the Packers this past sunday...I didn't have my Rodgers jersey on at kickoff...I was late putting it on b/c I went over a friends house & was distracted trying to get a stream of the game on the laptop...my fault guys, please find it in your hearts to forgive me

Latest posts