Ex-packers

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was going to post this about Swain, but figured we have so many ex-Packers still out there, because we were so deep.
Al Harris, Kampman, Ruvell Martin with Buffalo now, Poppinga, Lumpkin, Brandon Jackson, Donald Lee, Cullen Jenkins, Daryn Colledge, Frank Walker (remember him for one year!).... who else?

49ers sign former Packers WR Brett Swain

October 11th, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO - The NFL San Francisco 49ers signed wide receiver Brett Swain, who the club determined had the most impressive tryout Tuesday at the team's practice facility in Santa Clara, a source said.

Swain, 26, played 16 games for the Green Bay Packers last year, and appeared in the Super Bowl. He joins center Jonathan Goodwin as the only 49ers with Super Bowl rings.

Swain (6-foot, 200 pounds) appeared in 16 games last season for the Packers, mostly as a special-teams player. He caught six passes for 72 yards. Swain entered the league as a seventh-round draft pick from San Diego State.
The 49ers have yet to announce the signing, as they determine how to clear room on their 53-man roster for Swain.

The 49ers were in the market for a wide receiver after Joshua Morgan sustained a potential season-ending leg injury Sunday in the team's 48-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Morgan underwent surgery on his broken right lower leg on Monday.
Swain had the best overall performance during a workout Tuesday that included veteran wide receivers T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Chris Chambers, and Brian Finneran, as well as practice-squad players Joe Hastings and John Matthews.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Was going to post this about Swain, but figured we have so many ex-Packers still out there, because we were so deep.
Al Harris, Kampman, Ruvell Martin with Buffalo now, Poppinga, Lumpkin, Brandon Jackson, Donald Lee, Cullen Jenkins, Daryn Colledge, Frank Walker (remember him for one year!).... who else?
Vonta Leach Baltimore. Nick Barnett Buffalo. Ryan Longwell GreenBay retirement home.
Vonnie Holliday and Corey Williams still around? Did Sharper get picked up?

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby plays with Seattle, kapinos played with Indy and Pitt last season, but I don't think he is still playing, Korey Hall plays for the Saints, Derrick Martin plays for the G-Men, Quinn J ohnson plays for the Titans, Breno Giacomini plays for Seattle after only playing one game for GB in 2008 and not playing a game in 2009 and 2010, Jason Spitz is with the Jags this year, Jason Hunter is with Denver...

And the list goes on and on and on...

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
All I remember was Swain was pretty good on special teams. As a receiver.....ehhhh. I still can't forgive him for "dropping" that third down pass in the Superbowl that killed a drive.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I'm happy to see Nick Barnett helping out the Bills in their re-birth.

I was never really a big Nick Barnett fan. All I remember is him not dropping back deep enough of the Eagles "4th and 26". That and acting like he did something great if he dropped someone for like a two yard gain.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never really a big Nick Barnett fan. All I remember is him not dropping back deep enough of the Eagles "4th and 26". That and acting like he did something great if he dropped someone for like a two yard gain.

True dat. Lots of bloggers used to refer to him as Bambi. Too much flash and not enough dash. As far as Swain goes, he will be in SF for a year, and that may be it.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I thought Barnett was a great motivator - ON field more so than off. Maybe not the class act of Al Harris caliber but I think he added some energy to the D. I always liked him so I'm glad that he's seeing some success after being released. He also has great hair.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby plays with Seattle, kapinos played with Indy and Pitt last season, but I don't think he is still playing, Korey Hall plays for the Saints, Derrick Martin plays for the G-Men, Quinn J ohnson plays for the Titans, Breno Giacomini plays for Seattle after only playing one game for GB in 2008 and not playing a game in 2009 and 2010, Jason Spitz is with the Jags this year, Jason Hunter is with Denver...

And the list goes on and on and on...
Quinn Johnson was just released by the Titans in time for them to not have to give us a draft pick now for him next year. That sucks.
I believe Korey Hall went on IR. He still thinks he's a Packer I guess.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Gordy and Quinn Porter play for the Rams. Ahmad Carroll, Brian Brohmn, Michael Montgomery, Orrin Thompson, Diyral Briggs, and Aaron Rouse all play in the UFL.

btw, Barnett had 2 interceptions Sunday. Jenkins has 5 sacks.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently, Barnett and Jenkins were too old and washed up to play for the Packers. We are looking to the future with future Superbowls along the way...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Do you guys know that Jenkins left both of his last two games early hurt....again (two different injuries)...he hasn't practiced this week, yet.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really feel bad for Jenkins. He pretty much got sent to hell, or what was supposed to be the dream team. It's not just that he was injured, it's that the team (Eagles) isn't going anywhere anytime soon. At least Nick Barnett's Bills are turning their team around. They beat the Eagles, LOL. Can't say the same for Al Harris, but for him, I'm just glad to see him play.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Wynn will. Would you rather have a consistent decent player play all of each game or a good player who plays only half to three quarters of each game with marginally better tackle and sack totals?
Jenkins has better stats and Wynn isn't a Jenkins. Speaking of MIA where was Wynn last game? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he played. If he did I didn't hear his name called once.
I'll take Jenkins. Neal was supposed to be Jenkins replacement but we've seen virtually nothing of him in two seasons. Want to address that injury situation? btw, saying Jenkins plays half a game is a complete exaggeration. Anyway he is probably just gassed because of all the tackles and sacks he makes.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Jenkins has better stats and Wynn isn't a Jenkins. Speaking of MIA where was Wynn last game? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he played. If he did I didn't hear his name called once.
I'll take Jenkins. Neal was supposed to be Jenkins replacement but we've seen virtually nothing of him in two seasons. Want to address that injury situation? btw, saying Jenkins plays half a game is a complete exaggeration. Anyway he is probably just gassed because of all the tackles and sacks he makes.

I live in the Philadelphia market. I watch their games. Jenkins left the game two weeks ago limping and didn't come back. Last week, he left the game with a tri-ceps injury and didn't come back. When he was in, he got *some* pressure on the QB, but he also wiffed on a several tackles when the running backs came his way. I saw Jackson run inside him. I saw Jackson run outside of him.

As for Wynn or Wilson (depending on the scheme), there were only 31 total tackles by the defense. Picket only had 1, Raji only had 1, so their names were hardly mentioned. Does this mean they aren't any good? The role of the line in a 3-4 is to hold the line. The Linebackers and cornerbacks provide pass rush. The Packers line is doing the job the coach asks them to do. They don't need their name in lights. They need to get the job done. That is what they do. Fred Jackson ran for 111 yards against Jenkins' line last week. Michael Turner ran for 56 against the Packers line. Which line do you think did a better job?

From the Milwaukee sports journal comes this note on defensive strategy vs Atlanta; "If Wynn can at least tie up Baker and fullback Ovie Mughelli, that may open the door up for Clay Matthews to get a sack or two, as well." As they say, the proof is in the pudding. Michael Turner, one of the premier rushers in the league, kept in check. Mission accomplished without Jenkins.

I just don't see why folks are so enamored with him. He brought a low price tag for a reason. Ted let him go for a reason. I trust Ted and all the other teams that passed on him.

Members online

Latest posts