Ex (and soon to be ex) Packers watch

H

HardRightEdge

I can't find anything on Ralston.
Here's 25 minutes of Ralston, about 75% of which is him blocking, the rest short throws and quick hitting runs. I wish there was some of this kind of tape on the other guys expected to run block.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This kid is a good blocker, solid fundamentals, straight ahead and on the move. He gets a hat on guys in good position.

Pro Day on April 1 if that actually happens. Probably somewhere around 6', 230 - 240 lbs. And he's got the build for it. If he runs well he could get more UDFA interest. The NFL is generally unkind to 6' FBs / H-backs.

College stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nick-ralston-1.html

Those stats show his position as LB as a junior at AZ State which may be why he transfered to LA-Lafayette. I saw a note saying he was recruited to AZ State as a LB and he was being worked at the position in spring drills that season. He had a couple of 300 yard rushing games with 4 or 5 TDs as a high school senior for what that's worth.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's 25 minutes of Ralston, about 75% of which is him blocking, the rest short throws and quick hitting runs. I wish there was some of this kind of tape on the other guys expected to run block.

This kid is a good blocker, solid fundamentals, straight ahead and on the move. He gets a hat on guys in good position.

Pro Day on April 1 if that actually happens. Probably somewhere around 6', 230 - 240 lbs. And he's got the build for it. If he runs well he could get more UDFA interest. The NFL is generally unkind to 6' FBs / H-backs.

College stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nick-ralston-1.html

Those stats show his position as LB as a junior at AZ State which may be why he transfered to LA-Lafayette. I saw a note saying he was recruited to AZ State as a LB and he was being worked at the position in spring drills that season. He had a couple of 300 yard rushing games with 4 or 5 TDs as a high school senior for what that's worth.

He's perfect.

H

HardRightEdge

This is from 2018, but there's quite a bit of lead blocking on display.

Hmm. There are a few decent blocks in there but there are just as many where he manages only a glancing blow and/or ends up on the ground. He's got some where he's chopping steps hunting for his angle.

Based on this tape I can't see him translating to the next level as a blocker, more a guy getting in somebody's way than controlling him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hmm. There are a few decent blocks in there but there are just as many where he manages only a glancing blow and/or ends up on the ground. He's got some where he's chopping steps hunting for his angle.

Based on this tape I can't see him translating to the next level as a blocker, more a guy getting in somebody's way than controlling him.

I disagree. I saw quite a few impressive blocks.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was McCarthy or LeFleur every REALLY that big on FBs though? I mean in my opinion, the only HC we had that emphasized the FB was Mike Sherman in the days of William Henderson and Najeh Davenport.

I honestly never watched LeFleur in Tennessee, so I can't say if he emphasized that back then and McVay doesn't seem to either. Only Shannahan uses a FB regularly from what I've seen.

John Kuhn played a fair bit.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind GMo being a Lion, I'm curious to see what he might do elsewhere. Next to Bulaga I think he's the one guy who might really "burn us" for letting him go.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GMo learns ball security he will find a future, but even if he gets better his time with us needed to be done.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison really disappointed me last year.
Were you honestly surprised? Allison never showed me any instances where he could take that next step to the point where we could constantly depend on him.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again good riddance...gute continues to see the writing on the wall...he is slowly shaping a championship team here...the WR group continues to evolve.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were you honestly surprised? Allison never showed me any instances where he could take that next step to the point where we could constantly depend on him.

Allison looked like he was going to explode just 2 years ago. I never expected him to hit 1000+ yds in a season but had he been able to produce 400-575 yds and 5 TDs I'd have considered him a successful UDFA Signing.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison looked like he was going to explode just 2 years ago. I never expected him to hit 1000+ yds in a season but had he been able to produce 400-575 yds and 5 TDs I'd have considered him a successful UDFA Signing.
You mean that same year in which he also went down with an injury, and yet somehow people thought he would replace Cobb going forward during his final year with us?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that very same one. The front office was justified to give him a second chance coming off injury; but unfortunately, it just didn't work out. It happens.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that very same one. The front office was justified to give him a second chance coming off injury; but unfortunately, it just didn't work out. It happens.
Never said they weren't justified, I just don't share the sentiments that with one year in which he went down with an injury proved that he could be the number 2 option or a reliable option at that.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we first signed Allison out of Illinois, to me, his ceiling was probably somewhere around a #2 option who could produce somewhere around 700 yds a season. However, to me he also had a low floor that could be where he struggled to even get 300 yds a season. Unfortunately, he pretty much stayed on the floor.

But at the time I was very much excited, because despite playing at lowly Illinois, he was Top 10 in all major receiving categories in the BigTen in 2015.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point being was the idea of him being a reliable #2 option was silly.

Longshot yes, but I wouldn't call it silly.

Let me remind you that the all time leading receiver in the franchise was the 213th Overall Pick in 1999.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts