every comtender has a window...

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it is obvious to everyone that when a team becomes a contender in the nfl, they only have a window of opportunity for numerous reasons.

This is a FACT and we all know it.

So the question I pose is, how long is our window open?

It was a surprise to all of us that this team jumped from 8-8 to 13-3 SO QUICKLY. It is also an issue with Favre deciding on whether or not to retire each year is a factor. It is a factor because when Favre does decide to hang them up, we will hand reigns to Aaron Rodgers or another qb and that will be like STARTING OVER at the qb position. We all know no one will live up to favre and be as good, but it may take a few years just for his replacement to gel with players and get use to nfl speed. Then at their best they may only be a servicable or occasional pro bowl qb at best.

And by then, we may lose many key defensive players and perhaps may not even have some of the offensive weapons we have now.

So the way I see it is, we have the core of this team, with the exception of a few key players at the end of this year and next year as free agents, signed through 2009. So if Favre does decide to continue to play this year and maybe even the year after that our window is still open. For the next two years, with our team intact and Favre at qb, we are big time contenders with the chance at getting to that superbowl we missed out on this year.

If he would happen to decide to not come back, I think our window most likely closes for the time being....I jsut cant see Arodge or another qb taking over and this team going to superbowl. But if TT could continue to draft well. I could see us getting our window of opportunity back open in a couple of years, with some of the guys we have now and a bunch of new players.

So what do you guys think about this topic?

For what its worth, I think Favre will come back and our window is open for as long as he decides to play! And I think favre knows it

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will build a team where a game managing QB instead of a Hall of Fame QB is enough to win an SB. We have a few weak spots in our D. They will be improved in the offseason.

We will also have to run better in the cold. Our OL needs a few tweaks. That will be addressed.

Favre will be back and will play at least two more seasons. He'll have one more ring before he retires.

Our window will be open for years. I see a young team that's a perennial playoff team. Don't be surprised if we're in the Playoffs five or six years in a row.

Plus, we have a top tier Coach. That's very important as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Aaron Rodgers turns out to be any good then the Pack will be pretty strong team for a long time.

If he is a complete bust which I don't think any longer, then when Favre retires.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's so hard to say..........If Favre comes back, i think we have a shot next year for sure. If he doesn't, i think that window is closed for at least a couple years. It's not that i think Rodgers is no good, i just don't see his first year as a starter as him being able to lead us to the playoffs. He's still really like a rookie. Plus, our schedule is gonna be TOUGH next year. Even with Favre, i think it will be a dog fight to make the playoffs. Thats what made the end of this season so hard for me to take.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is building a perrenial winner.
He is building a team that can win post Brett.
That's not to say that we will be in the Super Bowl year in and year out, but I believe we will be a team in contention and when all the planets are aligned we will be in position to strike.
Ted can't plan against injuries, but he can plan against possible free agents, retirements and most any other situation keeping the window open for longer than is the norm.
I also believe Aaron Rodgers is the QB that can run this offense when Brett does decide to ride of on his tractor.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's so hard to say..........If Favre comes back, i think we have a shot next year for sure. If he doesn't, i think that window is closed for at least a couple years. It's not that i think Rodgers is no good, i just don't see his first year as a starter as him being able to lead us to the playoffs. He's still really like a rookie. Plus, our schedule is gonna be TOUGH next year. Even with Favre, i think it will be a dog fight to make the playoffs. Thats what made the end of this season so hard for me to take.

Phillip Rivers won 14 games in his 1st year as a starter. It's certainly not out of the question.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Phillip Rivers won 14 games in his 1st year as a starter. It's certainly not out of the question.
I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, i just think it will be tough. Of course the "Packer fan" in me WANTS to be wrong, and for you to be right!
The short time we have seen Rodgers, he has been pretty good. But he's really still a big "unknown" at this time. I hope he turns out to be Brett's "Steve Young", who followed Joe Montana, and did well.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is building a perrenial winner.
He is building a team that can win post Brett.
That's not to say that we will be in the Super Bowl year in and year out, but I believe we will be a team in contention and when all the planets are aligned we will be in position to strike.
Ted can't plan against injuries, but he can plan against possible free agents, retirements and most any other situation keeping the window open for longer than is the norm.
I also believe Aaron Rodgers is the QB that can run this offense when Brett does decide to ride of on his tractor.

Agreed. We're building a perennial winner that can win post Brett. And I'm a HUGE Favre fan. I think there will be a drop off, but it won't be too steep because the way MM wants it, he wants more a game managing QB than a QB who can do everything. MM really wants a run first team. The reason we pass so much is because MM gameplans with what we have, not what he wants.

And TT does plan for injuries. Look at the depth we have. I thought it was stupid getting a DT first round. I was wrong. Turns out, we needed him.

By the end of the season, depth is huge. We have depth at most positions. Soon, it will be all positions.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing to be concerned about is that many of our best players, our true playmakers, are our oldest players (Favre, Harris, Woodson and Driver). We need to find adequate replacements for these guys before they retire or the window closes when Favre retires and one of the others stops playing at a high level.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Holmgren's Packers take years to win the Superbowl? I think MM's Packers might have had this year to build and work out the kinks and next year and the year after will be their crowning years.

MM MAY be the best coach the Packers have had since Lombardi...
Who knows,he may even surpass Lombardi in Winning percentages.

TT's agenda is pretty simple and evident in his approach... He wants to build a team for the future. He said that and this is the team we are seeing now.

Rodgers led Packers will look very close to this team. When Favre hangs it up, this team will be a team geared to win with good defense, solid running game and a stellar receiving corps.

THAT is what we have NOW. The team is just a bit young yet...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Holmgren's Packers take years to win the Superbowl? I think MM's Packers might have had this year to build and work out the kinks and next year and the year after will be their crowning years.

MM MAY be the best coach the Packers have had since Lombardi...
Who knows,he may even surpass Lombardi in Winning percentages.

TT's agenda is pretty simple and evident in his approach... He wants to build a team for the future. He said that and this is the team we are seeing now.

Rodgers led Packers will look very close to this team. When Favre hangs it up, this team will be a team geared to win with good defense, solid running game and a stellar receiving corps.

THAT is what we have NOW. The team is just a bit young yet...

I'm wondering if TT's agenda is based on MM's needs. Of course, I have no way of knowing this, but it's a hunch.

Anyways, yes, MM may be better than Holmgren. He's really showing signs of adaptability. Holmgren took over in when, 92? Then we won it all in '96. MM came close in his 2nd year. We have some kinks to work out but I seriously think next year can be the year we win it all, and hopefully the first of many.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing to be concerned about is that many of our best players, our true playmakers, are our oldest players (Favre, Harris, Woodson and Driver). We need to find adequate replacements for these guys before they retire or the window closes when Favre retires and one of the others stops playing at a high level.

Rodgers is Favre's replacement.

JJ is Driver's replacement.

I think we're still looking for Harris & Woodson's replacements.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
cheesey said:

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, i just think it will be tough. Of course the "Packer fan" in me WANTS to be wrong, and for you to be right!
The short time we have seen Rodgers, he has been pretty good. But he's really still a big "unknown" at this time. I hope he turns out to be Brett's "Steve Young", who followed Joe Montana, and did well.

Even with Favre, winning in the NFL has proven to be difficult. I agree it's going to be tough but a year ago GB was 8-8 and everyone was wondering if we'd be able to match 8 wins the following year. Now the Packers are 13-3 and we're thinking Super Bowl next year. I think the Packers scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt with Rodgers. I mean he's been here for 3 years now. Had he been a bust I would think they'd be able to figure it out by now.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think next year with brett back our chance at the s.b. is very good when he does retire and arod steps in i think he will be good but it will be tough to fill bretts shoes glad i'm not him but i do feel he is going to be good he will get you into the playoffs for sure and i think he wont choke like romo :)

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right Packer Fan Forever.
I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to fill Brett's shoes, how do you replace a legend and have fans love you.
Look at how many QB's it took to replace Bart Starr.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to fill Brett's shoes, how do you replace a legend and have fans love you.
Oh......HOW TRUE!!!
After Starr, we had to wait till......well......FAVRE!!!

When Jim Carter replaced Ray Nitschke, he was BOOED constantly by the fans. Even though Carter was a pretty good linebacker. It messed the poor guys mind up so bad, that even today he won't come back to Green Bay for alumni events or anything. It was sad what happened to him.
I hope that Rodgers, or whoever takes over, isn't treated like that.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Oh......HOW TRUE!!!
After Starr, we had to wait till......well......FAVRE!!!

When Jim Carter replaced Ray Nitschke, he was BOOED constantly by the fans. Even though Carter was a pretty good linebacker. It messed the poor guys mind up so bad, that even today he won't come back to Green Bay for alumni events or anything. It was sad what happened to him.
I hope that Rodgers, or whoever takes over, isn't treated like that.

I don't know Cheesy... It only takes 1 QB to replace another but has Starr been replaced? I don't think so.

To this day, not just the the GB packers but the entire NFL has been able to replace Starr who led the Packers to 5 NFL titles. Montana came close and Brady is getting there but 5 titles in 7 years? NOBODY replaces that.

I think Brett has his own chapter in the Packers history and that of the NFL which really can't be compared.

I only saw Starr's last few years but I don't remember him being the gunslinger that Favre is and I don't remember him providing the same kind of excitement that Favre has produced.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OB1........Starr was NOT a great QB......he WAS however a great LEADER.
I got to see him play in his prime, and he didn't have the big arm, but he managed the game well. Plus it didn't hurt that he had guys like Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor and Elijah Pitts running the ball.
But it was such a different time too. There was no "salary cap" as most players had to have summer jobs to make a living. There was no jumping from team to team. The 1960's Packers were together pretty much the whole time. I think that was a major reason the whole team went down the tubes at the same time. ALL the guys got old at the same time.
Favre hasn't had that luxery of having the same guys for 10 years with him.

OP
OP
J

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey when should I go to green bay during training camp? do u know what dates would be good? also when is family fun night. I think I am going to go that route instead of a game. I am hoping the hotel prices and everything will be cheaper

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey when should I go to green bay during training camp? do u know what dates would be good? also when is family fun night. I think I am going to go that route instead of a game. I am hoping the hotel prices and everything will be cheaper
During training camp I'm pretty sure the hotels have their "normal" prices. Not hiked up like game weekends.
Really, anytime once training camp starts is good. I would suggest during the week as opposed to weekends. It might make the crowds a little smaller. And BRING YOUR CAMERA!!! There are MANY opportunities to get GREAT photos! And either bring something for autographs, or get a mini helmet at the Packer Pro Shop. If you have your little girl with you, you can "use" her to maybe get some autographs. The players sign more for kids then adults. If you tell them it's for her, they might sign for you. Earlier in the camp, you have a better chance for autographs, as the players arn't burned out by the fans yet.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got to see him play in his prime, and he didn't have the big arm, but he managed the game well. Plus it didn't hurt that he had guys like Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor and Elijah Pitts running the ball.
But it was such a different time too. There was no "salary cap" as most players had to have summer jobs to make a living. There was no jumping from team to team. The 1960's Packers were together pretty much the whole time. I think that was a major reason the whole team went down the tubes at the same time. ALL the guys got old at the same time.

My point isn't that Starr was a great QB but that comparing the two QBs, Favre and Starr may be and probably is like comparing apples and oranges.

You are absolutely right in the fact that they play 2 different eras and 2 different styles of football and you really can't say that Favre woiuld have done as well as he did playing in Lombardi's system and vice versa with Starr.

I am just saying that the uniqueness of both QBs and their accomplishments make comparisons unreasonable.

OP
OP
J

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JoshTheChild said:
During training camp I'm pretty sure the hotels have their "normal" prices. Not hiked up like game weekends.
Really, anytime once training camp starts is good. I would suggest during the week as opposed to weekends. It might make the crowds a little smaller. And BRING YOUR CAMERA!!! There are MANY opportunities to get GREAT photos! And either bring something for autographs, or get a mini helmet at the Packer Pro Shop. If you have your little girl with you, you can "use" her to maybe get some autographs. The players sign more for kids then adults. If you tell them it's for her, they might sign for you. Earlier in the camp, you have a better chance for autographs, as the players arn't burned out by the fans yet.

ya I am huge on photo's, but not too much into autographs so I am ok in that department. I think I wanna hit up family fun night lol

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

My point isn't that Starr was a great QB but that comparing the two QBs, Favre and Starr may be and probably is like comparing apples and oranges.

You are absolutely right in the fact that they play 2 different eras and 2 different styles of football and you really can't say that Favre woiuld have done as well as he did playing in Lombardi's system and vice versa with Starr.

I am just saying that the uniqueness of both QBs and their accomplishments make comparisons unreasonable.
I agree 100%! The players they are, the times, two completely different things. Starr called all his own plays too, which i WISH they would let the QB's do today.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
JoshTheChild said:

ya I am huge on photo's, but not too much into autographs so I am ok in that department. I think I wanna hit up family fun night lol
I think family night is in the first week in August i believe. I went to one of those.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Rodgers, and I hope he works out. He showed in the Dallas game that he knows how to run this offense, and run it well. Our defense has a lot of promise, and is relatively young at the key positions, except of course at CB. I think my main worry for the next few years is o-line, just being able to keep healthy with the right mixture of youth and experience. Hopefully Grant wasn't just a one-year wonder.

Members online

Latest posts