Even M. Lynch knows the truth

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do respect Lynch even before this. Tate said he didn't push off. He also said he didn't know the rules of a simultaneous catch. Moron

Seahawksfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks fan here. I’ll come out and say it: there is no way we deserved that touchdown, and that was the single worst call I’ve ever seen. At first I stood up and cheered, and upon seeing the replay I thought “Oh, never mind, they’re going to overturn that, damn it, we lost,” which was followed up a second later with “Holy (expletive), they didn’t reverse it?!!” If you look solely at that play as the only bad call, clearly you guys should have won the game. I think however that there were so many bad calls in that game that there isn’t a legitimate result one way or another. In the second half Green Bay got away with holding on almost every play, which explains why Seattle suddenly stopped getting sacks. The PI call against Chancellor on third down which enabled your touchdown drive was also completely bogus. The PI against Shields was absurd as well. When Brandon Browner body slammed Jennings to the turf and the fight ensued, Browner should have been ejected from the game. Those are just a few examples. Therefore in my opinion the score of 14-12 is not legitimate, and the score of 12-7 that existed right before the final play was also not legitimate, and it is simply impossible to know who would have won the game with real officials. For what it’s worth, I take no pride in this win, and frankly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Best of luck to the Packers going forward.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is all true, you forgot the Russell Wilson roughing the passer call where Russell was out of the pocket and therefore a runner not a passer. That would have lead to an interception on your 25 yard line. Also forgot the missed offensive pass interference call on the last play as well.

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt the calls were pretty equal until that drive. Roughing the passer on a qb out of the pocket on an interception was bogus. D Pass interference when Rice was bear hugging Shields and obviously the off. pass interference and blown interception. What made it worse was Carroll parading around like he legitimately won that game and Tate fully believing that he didn't do anything that last play. Either way this whole game was ugly.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tate and Carroll are the reason I am so upset. They showed no class, really did not like it when Carroll was in the scrum after and right with the ref during the review. I would hope the NFL would take a look at that with all of the other coaches tampering they are looking at.

Seahawksfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot about that roughing the passer. And the final offensive pass interference was pretty big: everyone's arguing about whether that was a touchdown or an interception, but it really doesn't matter because Tate committed that penalty before the ball was even thrown, which should have invalidated the play. I'm willing to give Carroll the benefit of the doubt that from his vantage point, maybe he couldn't see that it was a bad call, kind of like Lynch didn't know until he saw the replay... but yeah, seeing him celebrate like that when I knew it was a blown call was pretty embarrassing. The bright side is, this is such a high profile embarrassment to the league that maybe the owners will have to quit being greedy and give in.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
At least one guy on the Seahawks that was honest. Carroll and Tate really acted like poor sports at the end of the game. NFL just stands by their refs like nothing ever has happened.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The bright side is, this is such a high profile embarrassment to the league that maybe the owners will have to quit being greedy and give in.

How are the owners being greedy but the officials aren't? You have the highest paid officials in sports (per hour of work annually) demanding huge raises and don't want to give anything in return. They refuse to work full time and they refuse to establish penalties within the performance review process for poor officiating (that's why Walt Coleman is still around). If the NFL gives them everything they want with no concessions, then the officials will play this game every 6 years.

That said, Goodell played this wrong. If I were him, I would have simply suspended the season until the officials got their head out of their *****. That would have put the pressure on them. But then fans would be demanding replacement officials so the games could go on. Things are never as simple as they appear, are they?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Seahawks fan here. I’ll come out and say it: there is no way we deserved that touchdown, and that was the single worst call I’ve ever seen. At first I stood up and cheered, and upon seeing the replay I thought “Oh, never mind, they’re going to overturn that, damn it, we lost,” which was followed up a second later with “Holy (expletive), they didn’t reverse it?!!” If you look solely at that play as the only bad call, clearly you guys should have won the game. I think however that there were so many bad calls in that game that there isn’t a legitimate result one way or another. In the second half Green Bay got away with holding on almost every play, which explains why Seattle suddenly stopped getting sacks. The PI call against Chancellor on third down which enabled your touchdown drive was also completely bogus. The PI against Shields was absurd as well. When Brandon Browner body slammed Jennings to the turf and the fight ensued, Browner should have been ejected from the game. Those are just a few examples. Therefore in my opinion the score of 14-12 is not legitimate, and the score of 12-7 that existed right before the final play was also not legitimate, and it is simply impossible to know who would have won the game with real officials. For what it’s worth, I take no pride in this win, and frankly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Best of luck to the Packers going forward.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
At least one guy on the Seahawks that was honest. Carroll and Tate really acted like poor sports at the end of the game. NFL just stands by their refs like nothing ever has happened.

The NFL stood by the old ones too until they turned their backs the NFL and its fans.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
thanks for classy comment,we are all fans and if the packers would have won like that we would of had a bitter taste too, I want us to win flat out no doubt...let the refs be spectators, not spectacles.....the pack will storm back..hey O'line a little up front help please.........

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, I thought Marshawn was brainless. Now I really wish he were our running back.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For everyone complaining about Carroll? Are you surprised he thinks its a good call? This is the same a**hole who knew his players were allegedly being paid and didn't give two you-know-whats (and if anyone says he didn't know it is not different than Tressel and the memorbilia crap). Then he leaves once the NCAA is really going to lay the hammer down and strip a bunch of hardware. Real class act. Whether or not the NFL was calling his name I think he is a classless ******* nearly on the same level of the child coach Schwartz.

Golden Tate is just a young arrogant punk. He knows damn well what he did and got away with, he just wouldn't admit it. How he said it arrogantly I think is what pissed everyone off. If karma exists Seattle is in for some serious payback.... and GB should at least be vindicated somehow (let's hope for 13 straight wins...)

"By the time Lynch left the restaurant early Tuesday morning and, while waiting for his ride to arrive, reassured a group of Packers fans on Second Avenue almost apologetically that their team would bounce back from this bitter defeat, it was clear the league's already problematic officiating lockouthad reached critical mass."

Lynch is a class act for doing that. Just read this part.

Reaction score
OK so it's becoming apparent to me I should've come in here crying and betching last year when my Lions lost @GB for the several totally blown calls in favor of your team? Stop crying lol learn the rules, simultaneous possession does not apply until the defender gets both feet down and by that time Tate has his 2nd hand on the ball. But I guess whining goes well with cheeseheads.

LionFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, no doubt the Lions played crappy against the backup Flynn (embarrassing)! But they were still robbed from victory. Even Mike and Mike on espn agreed that the Packers Lions officiating last year was way worse than the Packers Seahawks officiating.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK so it's becoming apparent to me I should've come in here crying and betching last year when my Lions lost @GB for the several totally blown calls in favor of your team? Stop crying lol learn the rules, simultaneous possession does not apply until the defender gets both feet down and by that time Tate has his 2nd hand on the ball. But I guess whining goes well with cheeseheads.

Right, so your interpretation trumps about 90% of the ex-officials, sportswriters and announcers and players who all say that it was not simultaneous possession? And by the way you're wrong. Simultaneous possession does not apply if the defender has his hands on the ball first and the receiver then gets his hands on the ball second.

Reaction score
Applicable rules to the play are as follows:

A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 of the NFL Rule Book defines a catch:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

When a player (or players) is going to the ground in the attempt to catch a pass, Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 states:

Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 states:

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack

The Packer DB had control/possession of the ball in a physical sense, but not by rule, as he did not have his feet down. As per the rule book he did not have possession.

Reaction score
I mean to say he did not have possession first. He did have possession, but not before Tate did.

Reaction score
The Packer DB clearly caught the ball first in a physical sense. But this is not a catch. It is not a catch until he gets both feet down. By the time that happens, Tate has both of his hands on the ball.

Obviously your guy had "more" possession of the ball. However, that is not relevant to the rules, it is not an issue that pertains to the rules, it has nothing to do with the rulebook. It can be 99% possession by one guy and 1% by another and that is still simultaneous possession. It comes down to a judgment call, and the bottom line is that Tate had both hands on it by the time the DB finished the process of the catch.

Members online

Latest posts