EQ is at a crossroads...

D

Deleted member 6794

No doubt they will keep both around this season, although I think EQ can't be sent back down to the PS, unless he clears waivers.

At this point every player released from an active roster is subject to clearing waivers.

I get the connection with Aaron Rodgers and Adams, but that would be tough for one team to pull off (getting them both), other than the Packers.

The Broncos, which currently have the second best scoring defense in the league, have an estimated $60 million of cap space to spend next offseason. They could definitely afford to trade for Rodgers and sign Adams.

Packermudgeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Took how many years with adams for rodgers to make him look good?

Point is..I dont feel rodgers has that many years to get another wr to that level. He may only have 2 years left. Logic says he cant last more than 2 or 3
But if the Packers want him back, I'd guess Rodgers demands more of a commitment than that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm afraid their time is running out. I recall EQ dropping a 2 pt conversion last year that was very catchable. And this last week, a guy with Taylor's experience should know to get the hell away from a punt that's bouncing around. Those are significant errors. I don't see either on the team next year.
In Taylor's defense. That was a very short kick. Amari could not run up to it. Which would have been best.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In Taylor's defense. That was a very short kick. Amari could not run up to it. Which would have been best.
We also don't know if Amari called off the return properly or what really happened. I am sure the Special Teams coach does and it is his job, for now, to make sure it doesn't happen again. Players are going to make mistakes, they are human. However, when there are a lot of mistakes by a unit (offense, defense, special teams), then you have to look to the coach of that unit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Taylor hasn't had opportunities. Winfree got the chance. And he looked pretty good.
You or someone else has said this before about Taylor. Yet in his 2 years as a Packer he has been on the field for 195 offensive plays. He has 7 catches for 90 yds.

I know you are going to bring up that he has only been targeted 9 times and equate that to not enough opportunities. You make your opportunities on the field and at practice, just like you said Winfree had. By the way Winfree has only been on the field for 64 offensive snaps and has been targeted 6 times and has 4 catches for 30 yards.

I know you like Taylor's potential, but he has had plenty of opportunities to show it.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Took how many years with adams for rodgers to make him look good?

Point is..I dont feel rodgers has that many years to get another wr to that level. He may only have 2 years left. Logic says he cant last more than 2 or 3
Good point. Adams wasn't very good in his first two years. Constantly complaining to officials, not very mature. A lot of what he has become is his own doing. Playing with a future HOFer/MVP doesn't hurt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good point. Adams wasn't very good in his first two years. Constantly complaining to officials, not very mature. A lot of what he has become is his own doing. Playing with a future HOFer/MVP doesn't hurt.
Yes and a rookie to boot. Much like I didn't think Amari would walk in and light up the field like some hoped. Now a veteran like OBJ, should have a much easier time. He already has the skill set and knows how NFL defense play. So all he needs is a good working knowledge of the playbook and of course, chemistry with #12.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams wasn't an elite receiver from the get-go but he had 88 receptions for 928 yards during his first two seasons while being stuck on the depth chart behind Nelson and Cobb in his rookie year. In addition he had an impressive game in the playoffs vs. the Cowboys that year (7-117-1).

Those are significant better numbers than any of the receivers mentioned in this thread.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes and a rookie to boot. Much like I didn't think Amari would walk in and light up the field like some hoped. Now a veteran like OBJ, should have a much easier time. He already has the skill set and knows how NFL defense play. So all he needs is a good working knowledge of the playbook and of course, chemistry with #12.
Ah yes, chemistry with Rodgers. Finally some one comes to the rescue with the great wild card. With Rodgers, this includes Chemistry 101, Advanced Chemistry and then Organic Chemistry. I personally would not expect Beckham to be anything but a bit/role player with expectations of small contributions. I think his greatest contribution would likely be the compensatory draft pick in 23 he might provide, or the insurance policy in case both Rodgers and Adams leave after this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think his greatest contribution would likely be the compensatory draft pick in 23 he might provide

I didn't want to spend all day looking, but you are correct on this, I think. Not sure how long a player has to be on a team or if that matters, before the team would be eligible to use his loss in the formula that determines Comp Picks.

BB over in New England is very shrewd and loves compensatory picks, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is at the top of his reasons list, as to why the signing makes sense.

As far as AR establishing chemistry with a receiver, its a real thing. Couldn't tell if you agree or don't. lol Now with Vets, it should take less time to establish, but the only real sample of that we have are with TE's Big Dog, Cook, Mo Bennett and Jimmy G. I remember it took awhile with Cook. I can't recall a vet FA WR that Rodgers has worked with, besides Funchess and we never saw how that worked out. I don't consider Cobb as being in that same group.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think his greatest contribution would likely be the compensatory draft pick in 23 he might provide

I think I found the answer to this, but maybe Captain or Pkrjones can shed some light on it.

• Starting with the 2020 CBA, under App. V, §10, players who sign Veteran Salary Benefit contracts will not be eligible to become CFAs.
Again, I am not 100% sure, but that seems like OBJ wouldn't be used in the CP formula?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I found the answer to this, but maybe Captain or Pkrjones can shed some light on it.

• Starting with the 2020 CBA, under App. V, §10, players who sign Veteran Salary Benefit contracts will not be eligible to become CFAs.
Again, I am not 100% sure, but that seems like OBJ wouldn't be used in the CP formula?

@captainWIMM might know

D

Deleted member 6794

If I understand it correctly that paragraph means that an unrestricted free agent who signs a veteran mimimum deal in the offseason isn't considered a CFA and therefore doesn't count in the calculation for the team he played for the previous season.

It doesn't mean that the Packers aren't eligible to receive a compensatory pick if for example Mercilus signs a deal with a new club next year though.

Another interesting thing I found while reading that appendix is that it seems the Packers won't receive a compensatory pick if Rodgers leaves as an UFA after the 2022 season.

Here's the part of the appendix suggesting that:

No UFA shall qualify as a CFA if the player’s NFL Player Contract is renegotiated to reduce the Maximum Possible Term of the contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If I understand it correctly that paragraph means that an unrestricted free agent who signs a veteran mimimum deal in the offseason isn't considered a CFA and therefore doesn't count in the calculation for the team he played for the previous season.

It doesn't mean that the Packers aren't eligible to receive a compensatory pick if for example Mercilus signs a deal with a new club next year though.

Another interesting thing I found while reading that appendix is that it seems the Packers won't receive a compensatory pick if Rodgers leaves as an UFA after the 2022 season.

Here's the part of the appendix suggesting that:

No UFA shall qualify as a CFA if the player’s NFL Player Contract is renegotiated to reduce the Maximum Possible Term of the contract.
You seemed to have added the word offseason. Was that your interpretation or a mistake? I didn't see that.

Interesting on Rodgers and probably quite a few other players around the league.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't want to spend all day looking, but you are correct on this, I think. Not sure how long a player has to be on a team or if that matters, before the team would be eligible to use his loss in the formula that determines Comp Picks.

BB over in New England is very shrewd and loves compensatory picks, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is at the top of his reasons list, as to why the signing makes sense.

As far as AR establishing chemistry with a receiver, its a real thing. Couldn't tell if you agree or don't. lol Now with Vets, it should take less time to establish, but the only real sample of that we have are with TE's Big Dog, Cook, Mo Bennett and Jimmy G. I remember it took awhile with Cook. I can't recall a vet FA WR that Rodgers has worked with, besides Funchess and we never saw how that worked out. I don't consider Cobb as being in that same group.
Oh I think it's very, very real. It's why I've always believed that any investment in WR is a long term investment (Cobb withstanding) that is highly unlikely to bear much fruit in the first year. This isn't Bret Favre we're talking about here. That dude would throw the ball to anyone at any time (regardless of uniform).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh I think it's very, very real. It's why I've always believed that any investment in WR is a long term investment (Cobb withstanding) that is highly unlikely to bear much fruit in the first year. This isn't Bret Favre we're talking about here. That dude would throw the ball to anyone at any time (regardless of uniform).
Yup. There are reasons why Aaron Rodgers throws so few interceptions. One of them is he doesn't make a lot of wild throws like we saw from Jordan Love, as well as his assassin like accuracy (most of the time). I think those attributes make him the great QB that he is, but also have made him much more selective on who he is willing to throw the ball to. If a WR can't get himself open very often and hasn't proved himself to be a super reliable target yet, is Rodgers going to try and thread the needle with him or Adams?

D

Deleted member 6794

You seemed to have added the word offseason. Was that your interpretation or a mistake? I didn't see that.

Interesting on Rodgers and probably quite a few other players around the league.

You need to read the entire appendix to understand the rules because the paragraph you phrased is misleading on its own.

A CFA is a player who was an unrestricted free agent and signed with a new Club during the prior free agency signing period (with the 2020 free agency period being the first such “prior free agency signing period” under this appendix) prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year or whose rights were retained by the prior Club by sending the player the Unrestricted Free Agent tender prior to such time and date.

The paragraph you cited relates to the contract the UFA signed after becoming one not the one he signed previously.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the post-game press conference, I took notice of Rodgers professing his trust in EQ. With everything that Rodgers said earlier this year about Gutekunst letting Kumerow go right after Rodgers had praised him publicly, I think that it is safe to say that EQ is not going anywhere while Rodgers is around. Below is what Aaron said tonight:

"One guy that especially, that I do want to continue to highlight is EQ. You know he was released from the team and he's come back to us and done a really nice job. You know he doesn't always show up big in the stat sheet, but he's a guy that I trust a lot and a guy that's made some timely plays for us. So I'm really proud of him and all the other guys who've stepped up, obviously Rasul another splash play tonight, but proud of EQ especially."

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
St. Brown had a good game. He's an important contributor on special teams as well. He seems to have found a comfort level. Good to hear Rodgers acknowledge him. Deguara and Nijman are other guys that seem to be growing into their roles. Bodes well for the stretch run. I like what I'm seeing. We are going to be a very tough out in the playoffs. This team is aggressive and resilient. We haven't seen the best yet I suspect.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
St. Brown had a good game. He's an important contributor on special teams as well. He seems to have found a comfort level. Good to hear Rodgers acknowledge him. Deguara and Nijman are other guys that seem to be growing into their roles. Bodes well for the stretch run. I like what I'm seeing. We are going to be a very tough out in the playoffs. This team is aggressive and resilient. We haven't seen the best yet I suspect.
Good points. While I wish all these injuries weren't happening, what they have done is given other players snaps and opportunities to step up and improve their game.

All of those reps will definitely help the team next season and if we do get some of our #1's back for the stretch run, as you said, this team is going to be really dangerous and hard to beat.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought one of his best was on that last punt that didn't even count because of the Rams penalty.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought one of his best was on that last punt that didn't even count because of the Rams penalty.

He hasn't always excelled IMO on coverage team reps, but last night was one of his best. Even outside of the two downed punts he had, his lane progression and integrity down field was on point all night.