EQ is at a crossroads...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers raved about EQ in his post game presser yesterday. Wonder if that's carrying any weight.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks you beat me to the punch.

I understand feeling that way about ESB, but then shouldn't Taylor have to prove himself to you too? ESB has 29 career catches for 445 yds. Taylor has 7 for 80 yards.

Thing is Taylor hasn't had much of an opportunity and EQ has had opportunities.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was on the field for 166 offensive snaps last season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Yes, he was out there last year some. And honestly, imho Rodgers did not look his way much. I don't know how good he might be. You and I talked about him awhile back. I only know that he catches the ball when it is thrown to him. Something EQ has not really been very good at.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Taylor and EQ fill different roles. I like them both, more EQ early and Taylor impressed me with sticking with it, growing and this preseason he showed he wasn’t going to be denied a spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I did not see an obvious catch. He had the ball by the fingertips, not completely certain he had foot on ground and no bobble, and I did not see any definitive sideline shot of his 2nd foot.

EQ definitely caught that ball inbounds. It's mind-boggling an NFL referee actually missed it while on top of it calling a bogus PI penalty on him as well.

Yes, he was out there last year some. And honestly, imho Rodgers did not look his way much.

If only Rodgers would have targeted Taylor more often instead of that bum Adams we would know more about his chances of succeeding in the NFL.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If only Rodgers would have targeted Taylor more often instead of that bum Adams we would know more about his chances of succeeding in the NFL.
Not talking about targeting. He didn't even look. The only passes I remember Taylor catching were after Rodgers extended the play and was looking everywhere. And I am not saying Malik Taylor is the 2nd coming. I just like the way he catches the ball. It is almost like a lot of people just want all competition to go away so that EQ will make the team and someday will turn into a receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It is almost like a lot of people just want all competition to go away so that EQ will make the team and someday will turn into a receiver.
Unlike how you feel about Malik Taylor?

I think the only reason both EQ and Malik are on the team, is lack of better options. Had Funchess not gotten hurt, Taylor doesn't make the 53 and ESB probably is done in GB. Players can earn snaps and opportunities by doing things at practice and in games, but they mostly earn those snaps by looking better than the guys ahead of them on the depth chart. I haven't seen a lot of people saying that ESB needs to be elevated to a starter and get more targets to prove how good he is. It is what it is and personally, I hope Taylor and ESB step up and both become Pro Bowlers. However, if that happens it would shock a lot of people, because so far both have been miles away from that level of play.

A classic example of "fan love" for a WR is Jake Kumerow. Hell, even Aaron Rodgers thought he should stick around. What has Jake done since he left Green Bay 2 seasons ago? Squadush.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had Funchess not gotten hurt, Taylor doesn't make the 53 and ESB probably is done in GB.
Interesting that you mention Funchess making the team had he not gotten injured... the Packers can re-sign Funchess, if they really want him, 3 weeks after his injury settlement period runs out. I have no idea how many weeks they paid him as a settlement, but it's usually only 4 weeks-ish... so he may be available any time now. Would Gute really want Funchess back over EQ or Taylor?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting that you mention Funchess making the team had he not gotten injured... the Packers can re-sign Funchess, if they really want him, 3 weeks after his injury settlement period runs out. I have no idea how many weeks they paid him as a settlement, but it's usually only 4 weeks-ish... so he may be available any time now. Would Gute really want Funchess back over EQ or Taylor?
If Funchess is healthy enough to play and willing to play for a low price, I could see bringing him back, especially if a Packer WR got injured. As far as if he is better than EQ or Taylor, I would say "yes", but the Packers might think different. Put it this way, I expect to see Funchess playing NFL football next season, if EQ and Taylor weren't, it wouldn't surprise me much.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see them both succeed. EQ because I think he definitely has talent and physical traits to be very good and injuries seem to be a part of him progressing or not and Taylor because he's done nothing but get in here and work, work, work. and to me, he's progressed every year. He hasn't gotten many opportunities in season, but he showed he can do what we'd need him to. I know he wasn't playing against NFL starters, but he was making NFL catches especially on the boundaries.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not talking about targeting. He didn't even look. The only passes I remember Taylor catching were after Rodgers extended the play and was looking everywhere. And I am not saying Malik Taylor is the 2nd coming. I just like the way he catches the ball. It is almost like a lot of people just want all competition to go away so that EQ will make the team and someday will turn into a receiver.

I want both EQ and Taylor to succeed as it would make the Packers better. I definitely don't prefer one over the other though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want every WR on the team to perform like Adams. That would be a great problem to have. The problem is that the guys at the bottom are what you would expect for 5th and 6th WRs, marginal at best. I hope that one or many of them figure it out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want both EQ and Taylor to succeed as it would make the Packers better. I definitely don't prefer one over the other though.
I'm afraid their time is running out. I recall EQ dropping a 2 pt conversion last year that was very catchable. And this last week, a guy with Taylor's experience should know to get the hell away from a punt that's bouncing around. Those are significant errors. I don't see either on the team next year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm afraid their time is running out. I recall EQ dropping a 2 pt conversion last year that was very catchable. And this last week, a guy with Taylor's experience should know to get the hell away from a punt that's bouncing around. Those are significant errors. I don't see either on the team next year.
No doubt they will keep both around this season, although I think EQ can't be sent back down to the PS, unless he clears waivers. I thought Taylor showed a few things in Preseason, but so do a lot of guys that never play in the NFL. They both have had many opportunities to prove themselves and really haven't. The fumble off of Taylor's foot, definitely doesn't help his cause. I still think EQ has a chance to be good, but you are right, his time to prove himself is closing fast.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Winfree has a real shot at expanded role. I cannot get over how often I found myself loving his foot work and route running. To me he is a guy that could be inside or outside it appears.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To me Winfree has a real shot at expanded role. I cannot get over how often I found myself loving his foot work and route running. To me he is a guy that could be inside or outside it appears.
Agreed and with the way the injury bug has gone around, all 3 of those guys could still get a shot to step in and step up. With the way the cap is looking for 2022, hell those 3 and Amari Rodgers might be the top 4 WR's on the team. :roflmao:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he looked very fluid in his routes - compare and contrast with Taylor and EB. Taylor and EB are at the end of the road in GB I think. Time for some new blood. Give some new guys a chance. Not saying they will excel, but at some point ya gotta move on.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he looked very fluid in his routes - compare and contrast with Taylor and EB. Taylor and EB are at the end of the road in GB I think. Time for some new blood. Give some new guys a chance. Not saying they will excel, but at some point ya gotta move on.
A lot depends on the off season roster moves as was stated above. Taylor was a favorite preseason target of Love's. WR free agents after this season are: UFA's Adams, MVS; Rafa's EQ & Lazard; ERFA Taylor. Will AR even re-sign if Adams &/or MVS are gone? Will Adams re-sign if AR is gone? Too many questions to say EQ and Taylor need to be gone, IMHO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot depends on the off season roster moves as was stated above. Taylor was a favorite preseason target of Love's. WR free agents after this season are: UFA's Adams, MVS; Rafa's EQ & Lazard; ERFA Taylor. Will AR even re-sign if Adams &/or MVS are gone? Will Adams re-sign if AR is gone? Too many questions to say EQ and Taylor need to be gone, IMHO.
Agreed. Which is why I think those 2 guys (EQ and Taylor) will stick with the team through 2021, unless they get an absolute gift player dropped in their lap. After this season, they may be signed for a cheap one year deal, just to make sure we have some WR's that know the system.

If AR is traded, I think Adams is gone. MVS might want too much money and he just may get it. I hope it isn't from the Packers if Rodgers is gone.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and with the way the injury bug has gone around, all 3 of those guys could still get a shot to step in and step up. With the way the cap is looking for 2022, hell those 3 and Amari Rodgers might be the top 4 WR's on the team. :roflmao:

Lazard will be back for certain IMO being a RFA. I think EQ will be as well if he isn't released this year yet. Like I've predicted before I just don't think Adams is back, and MVS will be resigned. We will be back to no clear and above #1 with MVS/Lazard/Rodgers/EQ/Taylor/Winfree being the main 6 which will no doubt see minimum 2 more added through FA and/or draft - and a couple UDFAs most likely.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the connection with Aaron Rodgers and Adams, but that would be tough for one team to pull off (getting them both), other than the Packers. If Rodgers wants to stick around, I'm guessing Adams will too. But Adams' market is going to be somewhere around $25 mil/year - just my opinion, and they need to resign Alexander, who will no doubt want to be the highest paid corner. Even if the cap increased significantly, that's a big ask. Out of Rodgers, Adams, and Alexander - my best guess is that only Alexander will make it back, and Rodgers and Adams end up on different teams. But who knows? It would be great to have all three back. I'd be ecstatic if Rodgers and Alexander came back. And don't get me wrong, I love Adams, but Rodgers can make a lot of average WR talent look way above average.

And good point - EB and Taylor may stick around. They work and they're affordable.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I get the connection with Aaron Rodgers and Adams, but that would be tough for one team to pull off (getting them both), other than the Packers. If Rodgers wants to stick around, I'm guessing Adams will too. But Adams' market is going to be somewhere around $25 mil/year - just my opinion, and they need to resign Alexander, who will no doubt want to be the highest paid corner. Even if the cap increased significantly, that's a big ask. Out of Rodgers, Adams, and Alexander - my best guess is that only Alexander will make it back, and Rodgers and Adams end up on different teams. But who knows? It would be great to have all three back. I'd be ecstatic if Rodgers and Alexander came back. And don't get me wrong, I love Adams, but Rodgers can make a lot of average WR talent look way above average.

And good point - EB and Taylor may stick around. They work and they're affordable.
Took how many years with adams for rodgers to make him look good?

Point is..I dont feel rodgers has that many years to get another wr to that level. He may only have 2 years left. Logic says he cant last more than 2 or 3

Latest posts