EPL and British Football

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched the game highlights. A win although playing with 10 men against Celtic, not bad ;)
The tackle by Hayes (?) looked terrible, but I read many comments that found the red card too harsh.:cautious:
i'm, maybe unsurprisingly in agreement, it wasn't a red IMO a yellow would have sufficed, especially when you consider a tackle that sctt brown had made earlier, was worthy of a yellow and he got nothing. but when you consider Considine should have been sent off when he conceded the penalty for the foul on griffiths, we kinda got away with not having to play with 10 men for 60mins or so.

it just shows the standard of referees in Scotland, as a former referee, the standard is shocking

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm, maybe unsurprisingly in agreement, it wasn't a red IMO a yellow would have sufficed, especially when you consider a tackle that sctt brown had made earlier, was worthy of a yellow and he got nothing. but when you consider Considine should have been sent off when he conceded the penalty for the foul on griffiths, we kinda got away with not having to play with 10 men for 60mins or so.

it just shows the standard of referees in Scotland, as a former referee, the standard is shocking
They can't be worse than what we have here in Germany but of course I must admit that I dont know enough about the quality of Scottish refs. ;)
Last weekend the the refs handed over a win to Bayern Munich with a penalty call that wasn't only a joke, it's almost a scandal. Another game deciding bad penalty call was made for Cologne against my team Hamburg one week before. So bad that even the refs boss said it wasn't one. Sometimes I wonder if the gambling mafia is back in German football :cautious::D
But to be serious, I have the impression that nowadays the game is simply too fast for them. At least sometimes....

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can't be worse than what we have here in Germany but of course I must admit that I dont know enough about the quality of Scottish refs. ;)
Last weekend the the refs handed over a win to Bayern Munich with a penalty call that wasn't only a joke, it's almost a scandal. Another game deciding bad penalty call was made for Cologne against my team Hamburg one week before. So bad that even the refs boss said it wasn't one. Sometimes I wonder if the gambling mafia is back in German football :cautious::D
But to be serious, I have the impression that nowadays the game is simply too fast for them. At least sometimes....
being a former referee myself i usually try and be objective about how some of the decisions they have to make aren't easy in the heat of the moment and needing to make it in an instant. but sometimes decisions are just so obviously wrong that they need a boot up the ****.

watching sportscene(the Scottish version of MOTD) a couple of weeks ago, former pro footballer Michael stewart absolutely laid in to scotlands top(FIFA listed) ref Willie Collum, about how bad he is on a constant basis. most fans and players can take honest mistakes, we won't be happy but we'll get over it.

i donlt know how Germanys system works, but here referees aren't held accountyable for their actionsor poor performances

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
being a former referee myself i usually try and be objective about how some of the decisions they have to make aren't easy in the heat of the moment and needing to make it in an instant. but sometimes decisions are just so obviously wrong that they need a boot up the ****.

watching sportscene(the Scottish version of MOTD) a couple of weeks ago, former pro footballer Michael stewart absolutely laid in to scotlands top(FIFA listed) ref Willie Collum, about how bad he is on a constant basis. most fans and players can take honest mistakes, we won't be happy but we'll get over it.

i donlt know how Germanys system works, but here referees aren't held accountyable for their actionsor poor performances
In Germany the refs are observed by officials and if the performance isn't good enough they can be "relegated" to lower leagues. Thats the theory. But birds of feather flock together. In fact it rarely happens that a ref is being relegated because of making wrong calls.:rolleyes:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@scotscheese... They way we are both going, we are going to continue our Derby in the Championship league.
speak for yourself, we're going to sack **** advocaat in November, then perform our great escape again, newcastle on the other hand newcastle are going down :D

in all honesty, i've seen enough from both teams in the last couple of games that if they continue to perform like this then picking up points won;t be so hard sooner than later

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be the worst move of his career... although not bad for his wallet... I know which of those options will be better for him.
What makes you think that this could be the worst move of his career ?
Regarding tradition, history and passionate fans Liverpool is a perfect fit for Klopp. Pretty similar to Dortmund. The only thing that might cause problems is the language. His style of coaching a team depends very much on communication and without proper English language skills it will be difficult for him.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Regarding tradition, history and passionate fans Liverpool is a perfect fit for Klopp. Pretty similar to Dortmund. The only thing that might cause problems is the language. His style of coaching a team depends very much on communication and without proper English language skills it will be difficult for him.

Bayern seem pretty determined to offer Pep whatever he wants to stay. So I think Klopp was hoping for Bayern, but sees it isn't going to happen at this time. So he thinks; "Show me the money!"

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

I don't see him in the Liverpool style at all. Maybe just me. I still say even with Klopp, Totty will finish ahead of Liverpool.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Man U is hard to gauge right now. They have a lot of talent. They look really good in some games, and really bad in others. Hard to tell where they will go.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
The Rags fans are beginning to show themselves again.

---
I used to say that every day is a good day when we are ahead of them in the table. There have been so many good days of late that their brief flirt with going top looked weird.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks PF71 ! Great books. Especially the 78 Scotland, the Mc Grath autobiography and Sir Alex book look very interesting. I think the Mc Grath book was recommended from 11 Freunde magazine some time ago, but not sure.
Also like the Robin Friday story.
Hmmm, not sure what book to start with.:cautious::)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Thanks PF71 ! Great books. Especially the 78 Scotland, the Mc Grath autobiography and Sir Alex book look very interesting. I think the Mc Grath book was recommended from 11 Freunde magazine some time ago, but not sure.
Also like the Robin Friday story.
Hmmm, not sure what book to start with.:cautious::)
The Scotland 78'' book and the Paul McGrath one for me were the best, forgot one other ''Addicted'' by Tony Adams very good too. :tup:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
The Price of Football-ometer

Conference side Eastleigh's £120 season ticket is the cheapest in the top five league's of English Football...............

................But its still more expensive than one at Bayern Munich.

Price of Football

PSG offer a matchday ticket of £186.67 thats £89.57 more than Arsenals which is the costliest in the UK.

Price of Football

Manchester City would have to sell 13.75m of their £4 pies to cover the cost of £55m Kevin De Bruyne

Batcarpcrazyreasonsihatemodernfootball

Last edited:

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Yeah I just saw some articles about that. Barca and Bayern are cheaper than ANY of the clubs in England for tickets

Members online

Latest posts