Elvis Dumerville

H

HardRightEdge

With the Perry and Bennett deals, the cap space looks to be around $20 mil now.

Unless Matthews were to be cut, and you'd think they would have done that by now if they had a mind to, I doubt there will be much more spending at the position. Maybe Datone Jones on the bounce back or somebody of similar modest cost to backup / rotate.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Perry and Bennett deals, the cap space looks to be around $20 mil now.

Unless Matthews were to be cut, and you'd think they would have done that by now if they had a mind to, I doubt there will be much more spending at the position. Maybe Datone Jones on the bounce back or somebody of similar modest cost to backup / rotate.

Cap is at 28 million.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They definitely can go after a corner if they really wanted one. Actually two. They could actually bring in Revis and House on 1 yr deals if TT made the call. You could actually sign Levy and Revis.

H

HardRightEdge

If they are in fact talking to Barwin, that means one of at least three things:

1) Put pressure on Matthews to renegotiate.

2) They want Barwin to replace the overpaid Matthews, but would not release Matthews until they have a replacement. Frankly, if Matthews won't renegotiate, I wouldn't mind this option.

3) Capers is going to up the ante again this year and run nickel and dime 95% of the time. In that case you probably need 3 OLBs, and then you don't worry much about replacing Pepper's, Jones' and Guion's snaps on the D-Line. Genius!

Reaction score
My bad. It's actually $30 mil WITH Perry and Bennett. Kendricks coming for $2 mil?

OK. Let's go ahead and throw a *** of money at a 3rd. OLB instead of a CB or D-Lineman!
Yeah! Or maybe grab another baseball or basketball player again

Oops! That's wrong.. I shouldn't have said that. Sorry everyone

H

HardRightEdge

We'll see. Actually two. They could actually bring in Revis and House on 1 yr deals if TT made the call. You could actually sign Levy and Revis.
But not with Barwin.

You need a minimum of $8 mil in cap left over after this free agent nonsense concludes:

- $3 mil for the draft class after subtracting the cap for minimum pay rookies (this is concentrated in the first two picks)
- $1 mil for the 52 and 53 roster spots that don't currently count against the cap
- $1 mil for the practice squad
- $3 mil for 6 full-season equivalent IR replacements with minimum pay rookies

And that leaves nothing for carryover to 2018 unless the IR count happens to be light this season. Thompson routinely goes into the season with $10 mil in cap in reserve and comes out with $6 mil left over, give or take.

So, if it's 3 + 1 + 1 + 10 (instead of just 3), that leaves $13 mil out of the $28 mil remaining (if that's the current number) left to burn.

I don't think you're going to get two CBs worth a damn and Barwin for that money.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But not with Barwin.

You need a minimum of $8 mil in cap left over after this free agent nonsense concludes:

- $3 mil for the draft class after subtracting the cap for minimum pay rookies (this is concentrated in the first two picks)
- $1 mil for the 52 and 53 roster spots that don't currently count against the cap
- $1 mil for the practice squad
- $3 mil for 6 full-season equivalent IR replacements with minimum pay rookies

And that leaves nothing for carryover to 2018 unless the IR count happens to be light this season. Thompson routinely goes into the season with $10 mil in cap in reserve and comes out with $6 mil left over, give or take.

So, if it's 3 + 1 + 1 + 10 (instead of just 3), that leaves $13 mil out of the $28 mil remaining (if that's the current number) left to burn.

I don't think you're going to get two CBs worth a damn and Barwin for that money.

That's why I said just Revis and Levy. Or Revis and Barwin not all 3.

H

HardRightEdge

That's why I said just Revis and Levy. Or Revis and Barwin not all 3.
I assume you're talking about DeAndre Levy.

I loved Levy in 2013 and even in 2014 when he was pressed to play inside after Tulloch went down early in the year. I seem to recall Levy having a heck of game in 2014 against the Packers playing mostly inside, the early season game I think it was.

Smart player, versatile, makes plays.

But he missed all of 2015 and most of 2016 with a nagging hip injury and he's hit 30 years old. He'd have to come pretty cheap. Ex-Badger, but that's neither here nor there.

House? I think people forget how inconsistent he was, though not as bad as the guys showed last year. His progression looked to have stalled out where he left us. I see him as somebody's #3 perimeter corner, dime corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

My bad. It's actually $30 mil WITH Perry and Bennett. Kendricks coming for $2 mil?

There hasn't been any information released about Kendricks' deal but re-signing Barclay took some cap space off the board as he apparently signed a one year, $1.3 million deal.