1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eagles want a 5th or 6th Rounder for Asante Samuel

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Southpaw, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
  2. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    ...Not at his salary (I believe it would put us over the cap). And he's on the wrong side of 30.

3. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    How is 31 the wrong side of 30?

4. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I think he means he would rather have somebody 29

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Samuel's set to earn $10 million with a $100,000 offseason workout bonus in 2012 and $11.5 million with a $100,000 workout bonus in 2013. The Eagles are reportedly willing to chop $2.5 million off next season's bill, but that won't please Samuel.

From that article

6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    Terrible idea for the long term prospects of the franchise.

overpaid corner whose best days are behind him? I'll pass. We already have Woodson.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JTheGreat

JTheGreat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    I definitely wouldnt mind seeing him in a greenbay jersey.

8. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Samuel's best days are right now and can be sustained for at least 3 more years. How is a guy who is one of the league leaders in INT's almost every year and just two seasons ago held QB's to a rating of 30 when he's targeted be past his best years? He's a top Corner in the league.

Long Term investment it might not be smart, but to deny his ability like he's some kind of a past his prime bum is absurd.

9. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Alas though, I wasn't aware of our cap situation. So it seems slimmer now, as if it didn't before

10. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Too big a salary. Pass.

11. metallicblaze

metallicblaze Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    If we could, I'd be all for it, Sir Charles can't play forever.

12. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    They said Wood was at the end when we picked him up. If we could restructure his contract..... we might need to move wood to safety to fill the hole Collins might leave. A backfield with Wood, Burnett, Williams,Samule would be a formidable one. We get that pass-rusher in the draft and BAM! top 5 D.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    ranked 91 out of 101 corners for tackling. Just what we need a 31 yr old corner who can't tackle.

If he is so elite why are the eagles so eager the past two years to trade him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    They are switching to a man scheme because they have two incredible man corners and Samuel is a zone corner? I think the cap explanation serves best.

Make it interesting, let the Lions have him. better yet, the Titans

15. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Pass.

Soft.

JMO

16. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I guess Denver already got rejected in an offer.

I guess the Broncos goal is to try and sign every DB Peyton has thrown a pick 6 too in his career.:confused:

17. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    It's an upgrade no matter how you slice it. He can't tackle any better than Shields or Tramon but he's still better than both of them. The Eagles are going to start playing more man coverage since they have the best man press cover corner in the league. Samuel is a zone corner. He'll fit right into our scheme. I'm more confident in Samuel gambling on plays than I am with any of our corners, maybe even Woodson.

I know how good Samuel is. I live here in Eagles country.

18. gbpowner

gbpowner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    Hmmm...I'll bite. A 5 or 6 seems reasonable. Is his contract negotiable at all? If not, I'd pass. However; nothing lights a fire under some of these competitors like being cut or dangled out for a cheap asking price. I'd like to think that we could get a couple of good years out of him while he's busy proving the Eagles made a mistake with him.

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    I'm sorry but where you live does not make you an expert on anything. I live in Wisconsin, that doesn't make me an expert on how to make lamp shades out of people.

I feel much better about our future with tramon having time to get healthy than I would overpaying for another aging corner. Speaking of health, is Samuels ever healthy?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    He is supposedly willing to redo his contract

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Roseman-talks-Samuel-free-agency-and-the-draft.html

I think all this debating is for nothing I dont see the Packers doing this

21. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +488
    Same crap we heard about C Wood back in 2006... I would give Samuel a chance... you never know!

22. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Well I watch almost every Eagles game and I'd like to think do know a good bit about how good Samuel is. He's a top CB in the league.

His best years are behind him? Give me a break. He's a perennial pro bowler and one of the top corners in the league. You don't have to be an expert at anything football related to know that.

Did you think Woodson was done when we picked him up?

It's Samuel, not Samuels. And he had a hamstring injury that kept him out of some games last season. You act like he's made of glass.

Once again I wasn't aware of our cap situation so this is likely not a possibility. But seriously, you can't deny that he's still an elite player in this league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    See if he'lll take a pay cut or extension that lowers his cap number first. The guy is a serious player. You always have to explore your options.

24. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
  25. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    If he's a "Top corner in the league," why aren't other teams willing to give up a 5th or 6th round draft pick for him?

Nnamdi Asomougha is a top corner in the league. Darrelle Revis is a top corner in the league. Samuel is, at best, mediocre.

If I were the Packers and had an interest, I'd wait until after the draft before entertaining the idea and possibly kicking the tires. Force the Eagles into making a decision as to whether to keep him or cut him, and then let a market develop around him to see what kind of value we can get him for.