Eagles fan here my prediction is Greenbay will go to the Superbowl thank me later

OP
OP
D

dawhole9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that you're pissed at Vick right now, and he did throw a retarded pick to end the game, but to be honest, if Kolb is in that game I don't think that they are even in a position to win at the end. His ability to move and run extended some drives helped out a bunch.
Do you think we should resign Vick? or let him walk. Idk maybe youre right. Ive just been extremely frustrated the last two days

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. Im still hurting from this lost ive been sick since sunday. I just hope we get a new qb or just give Kolb his shot. Ive been really agitated the last few days.
2 things about Vick.

1) The guy just isn't as mentally sharp as an elite QB. Nowadays he's not the complete idiot he was with the Falcons, but he isn't great at recognizing defensive schemes. He's spoon feed the defenses' tendencies. He's GREAT at some defenses he faces, specially tampa 2 (which Rodgers is bad at). But it's not bogus talk when the media say he doesn't recognize blitz pickups. He doesn't.

With a great center, that might change. But he's never going to be in the same realm as Rodgers, Brees, Manning or Brady simply because he doesn't put on the work they do, and I'm not sure he can.

2) The way he plays the game, he's already 30, and he goes all out on every single play. It takes a huge toll on his body. RBs usually don't survive more than 5 elite seasons. He plays like one. So his time spam is short.

Now, with his mobility, he doesn't NEED to be a master in dissecting defenses. His accuracy has been GREATLY improved, he almost fully understands his own offense (which is more than 2/3rds of the starting QBs in this league), has great grasp on some defenses, has a huge arm and a plethora of weapons.

Unless he faces a defense that can dominate the LOS, that has fast playmakers and that apply confusing schemes (like the Packers, or the Steelers).

So, Vick is a great player. For how long? I don't know. And is he an elite QB? I don't think he'll ever be.

But can you guys win a SB with him? I think so. You get your injuried players back, you get two very good Olinemen, and with Vick, you're one of the best teams in the league.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think we should resign Vick? or let him walk. Idk maybe youre right. Ive just been extremely frustrated the last two days

I would let him walk. But then again, I haven't seen enough out of Kolb to know if he's a quality QB or not.

My problem with signing Vick would be, I don't think he can stay healthy with the way he plays the game. Especially if they go to an 18 game schedule. An O-line would help Vick out a TON.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score

Vick might have his issues, but he's a lot better than a lot of QBs in the league. Eagles would be insane to let him walk unless Kolb is really that good (but I haven't seen it).

The Eagles O-line would get Kolb murdered so right now Vick is the best QB for your team. IMO

I'm re-watching the game, and Vick had some really nice throws. He missed a few, but so did Rodgers. Rodgers wasn't all that accurate on a lot of passes. I noticed had a lot of balls go low, which I guess is better than high, tipped and picked. But it made it ******* the GB receivers.

OP
OP
D

dawhole9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 things about Vick.

1) The guy just isn't as mentally sharp as an elite QB. Nowadays he's not the complete idiot he was with the Falcons, but he isn't great at recognizing defensive schemes. He's spoon feed the defenses' tendencies. He's GREAT at some defenses he faces, specially tampa 2 (which Rodgers is bad at). But it's not bogus talk when the media say he doesn't recognize blitz pickups. He doesn't.

With a great center, that might change. But he's never going to be in the same realm as Rodgers, Brees, Manning or Brady simply because he doesn't put on the work they do, and I'm not sure he can.

2) The way he plays the game, he's already 30, and he goes all out on every single play. It takes a huge toll on his body. RBs usually don't survive more than 5 elite seasons. He plays like one. So his time spam is short.

Now, with his mobility, he doesn't NEED to be a master in dissecting defenses. His accuracy has been GREATLY improved, he almost fully understands his own offense (which is more than 2/3rds of the starting QBs in this league), has great grasp on some defenses, has a huge arm and a plethora of weapons.

Unless he faces a defense that can dominate the LOS, that has fast playmakers and that apply confusing schemes (like the Packers, or the Steelers).

So, Vick is a great player. For how long? I don't know. And is he an elite QB? I don't think he'll ever be.

But can you guys win a SB with him? I think so. You get your injuried players back, you get two very good Olinemen, and with Vick, you're one of the best teams in the league.
Why cant he understand schemes or read blitzes? If he cant do that he doesnt need to be a starter in this league.Thats why we probably shouldnt resign him. You made great points.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

So the Packers have caused yet another QB controversy in Philly. First Kolb, now they are doubting Vick. I know it's not funny but I find the irony amusing.

Here is the problem, you have Kolb, who still has one year on his contract, who wants to start next year. you can't blame Kolb for that, he deserves his chance to start.

Then you have Vick, who has yet to be signed for a long term offer or any offer for that matter. Vick has played brilliantly this year and surely has very much to do with why the Eagles reached the playoffs to begin with, but is also a very large part of the reason you guys didn't advance. Vick's decision on that last play is going to haunt him for a long time, whether as an Eagle or wherever he goes.

Funny thing is when Kolb got hurt during the Packers game and Vick came, it almost seems as if the light at the end of your tunnel was nothing more than the light of an oncoming train.

Maybe the Eagles would be better off with Kolb instead of Vick. he could be just the young, developmental QB you need to build around that young team. It's gonna be interesting. I personally think Reid is going to go with Vick, thinking Vick is going to lead to a SB.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Why cant he understand schemes or read blitzes? If he cant do that he doesnt need to be a starter in this league.Thats why we probably shouldnt resign him. You made great points.

I think that comes with coaching. I know I know, he SHOULD know how to do that, but sometimes you need a coach that really can "teach him" and is a great QB coach. Some are, some aren't.

If Vick could go through McCarthy's QB off season school I bet he'd learn how to read blitzes better by the end of it. MM seems to know how to coach young QBs.

Maybe the system in Philly needs to be adapted to fit Vick better. It wasn't created for Vick's strengths. If you know Vick is going to be the starter next year, I'm sure there is a lot you could put into the offense in the offseason to maximize that.

Like PackersRS said. Vick can win the Eagles a SB, but will he ever been elite or be durable enough taking hits like he does. Those are big question marks. I don't see Vick ever being elite either. Solid, and a threat, no doubt. Generally scrambling first QBs, never win championships from what I've seen. Vick has to learn to be a Pocket passer first, and scrambling QB 2nd (like how Rodgers does it).

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard enough to understand your own 500 page playbook, let alone recognize other team's 500 page playbooks based on a few things, like safety and mlb alignment and such. It doesn't help that Reid runs a very traditional WCO without quick reads by receivers (though his usage of the RBs on receiving patterns kind of fills that void). Elite QBs are genius, nothing short of.

It's not that he doesn't recognize, that's kind of a stretch. But he's average at it. He's kind of like a rookie or a 2nd or 3rd year doing it. That's why the side blitz gets to him often.

One guy, to illustrate, that isn't great at blitz pickup, but is nonetheless a great QB, is Ben Roethlisberger. Again, he makes up for it with his strenght.

It's about what you compensate with. Rodgers has some problems with slants and short passes. Brees is too short, so he sometimes don't see defenders in front of him, Manning is afraid of the hit and is a statue, Brady doesn't have a big arm to make throws on the run and is a statue...

Every QB in this league and in the past had flaws. It's what you bring to the table, not what you lack. Vick has something in him noone has and I don't think noone will. To play him effectively, you must crap all cover 2 man away from your playbook, you must keep a rover all times... Teams do figure out a way to play him, but to do so it requires a very specific type of defense. And every QB in this league has a blueprint ot win against. Yes, even Payton Manning and Tom Brady. But, with them, it also requires a very specific type of defense.

And those defenses can be countered by some things, a great running game being the most common case.

Football is a chess match. There's a response and a counter response to everything, and who utilizes the pieces better wins. Wow I really sound like a know-it-all *******.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

What I find even harder to believe it it took other teams so long to figure out that blitzes are Kryptonite to Superman.

OP
OP
D

dawhole9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard enough to understand your own 500 page playbook, let alone recognize other team's 500 page playbooks based on a few things, like safety and mlb alignment and such. It doesn't help that Reid runs a very traditional WCO without quick reads by receivers (though his usage of the RBs on receiving patterns kind of fills that void). Elite QBs are genius, nothing short of.

It's not that he doesn't recognize, that's kind of a stretch. But he's average at it. He's kind of like a rookie or a 2nd or 3rd year doing it. That's why the side blitz gets to him often.

One guy, to illustrate, that isn't great at blitz pickup, but is nonetheless a great QB, is Ben Roethlisberger. Again, he makes up for it with his strenght.

It's about what you compensate with. Rodgers has some problems with slants and short passes. Brees is too short, so he sometimes don't see defenders in front of him, Manning is afraid of the hit and is a statue, Brady doesn't have a big arm to make throws on the run and is a statue...

Every QB in this league and in the past had flaws. It's what you bring to the table, not what you lack. Vick has something in him noone has and I don't think noone will. To play him effectively, you must crap all cover 2 man away from your playbook, you must keep a rover all times... Teams do figure out a way to play him, but to do so it requires a very specific type of defense. And every QB in this league has a blueprint ot win against. Yes, even Payton Manning and Tom Brady. But, with them, it also requires a very specific type of defense.

And those defenses can be countered by some things, a great running game being the most common case.

Football is a chess match. There's a response and a counter response to everything, and who utilizes the pieces better wins. Wow I really sound like a know-it-all *******.
Yeah you make good points. Im starting to think Vick doesnt suck anymore. By the way I love that profile pic. I see you have the great Reggie white. One of the best defensive players ever. What a great player he was .

OP
OP
D

dawhole9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find even harder to believe it it took other teams so long to figure out that blitzes are Kryptonite to Superman.
Why do people call Vick superman? I never understood that The announcers always say that crap during all our games.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people call Vick superman? I never understood that The announcers always say that crap during all our games.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0H1YHOL_8]YouTube - Michael Vick 6 TD Performance Eagles vs Redskins November 15, 2010[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you make good points. Im starting to think Vick doesnt suck anymore. By the way I love that profile pic. I see you have the great Reggie white. One of the best defensive players ever. What a great player he was .
Love Reggie. Best DL of all time hands down, and one of my favorite Packers.
At least he doesnt have a superman tattoo like some idiot QB I know
Care to share with the group?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
hahaha who has a superman tattoo? Dwight howard?

Brett does on his arm So does Chewy and Winters, if not mistaken...The 3 amigos

He also has a leprechaun? or a shamrock..

While back on his forum a picture was posted of him getting that tattoo, and I think it was like on an *** cheek lol

I recall the women going goo-goo over seeing it thru the white pants of the Jets uniform

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
completely unrelated but I heard something funny today.

So every team has a few master playbooks with everything in it. But they only travel with one, and bring only 1 to the field. Depending on the team depends on who is responsible for the playbook (EM, assistant coach, HC, ect). In 2009 the Rams played the Lions, and that year the new coach said he was in charge of the master playbook now changing the previous 30 or so years where a different employee handled it. Well after the game Spagnuolo couldnt find the playbook and sent out people to look for it. No luck. In 2010 the Rams got destroyed in Detroit 44-6. Wonder where that playbook ended up...

media hasnt found out and I doubt anyone would ever go on record and admit it.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
completely unrelated but I heard something funny today.

So every team has a few master playbooks with everything in it. But they only travel with one, and bring only 1 to the field. Depending on the team depends on who is responsible for the playbook (EM, assistant coach, HC, ect). In 2009 the Rams played the Lions, and that year the new coach said he was in charge of the master playbook now changing the previous 30 or so years where a different employee handled it. Well after the game Spagnuolo couldnt find the playbook and sent out people to look for it. No luck. In 2010 the Rams got destroyed in Detroit 44-6. Wonder where that playbook ended up...

media hasnt found out and I doubt anyone would ever go on record and admit it.
Lol, if the Lions' idea of getting ahead in the league by cheating involves stealing the RAMS' playbook, I now see why the franchise is so inept.

They do realize they played the Pats this year...

Members online

Latest posts