Duds vs Jets

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers just doesn't look good. Holding the ball on 3rd down and taking sacks drives me nuts. I get you don't want to turn the ball over, but a pick on 3rd down on their side of the field would be like a punt. Taking a sack pushes them out of FG range and loses the scoring opportunity. Also, taking a deep shot on 4th and 3 drives me nuts. All they need is three yards.

I agree that I don't like the deep shots on third or fourth down with only a few yards to go either. I would prefer Rodgers to throw the ball away on third down instead of trying to make something work and getting sacked as well. Throwing a pick in those situations doesn't help either though.

Depends on your perspective.

The offense is definitely worse right now. In 2018 the Packers were 14th in points per game and the lowest single game output was 17 points (in a game which Rodgers played the whole time)

Right now, the Packers are 24th in points per game with single game scoring outputs of 7, 14, and 10.

I do think the defense has been better than in 2018 though.

You're right, the offense seems to be actually worse than it was in 2018.

As far as I remember he actually did get burned by TE for 20+ yards that lead to a TD.

According to PFF Alexander was targeted seven times with him allowing three completions for 31 yards and a rating of 56.3. While he gave up a 14-yard completion to Uzomah he was definitely performing at a high level.

I think Jacksonville& Detroit have scored more points than The Packers!!

Well, the Packers rank 24th in points scored, so a lot of teams have scored more than them. The Lions actually rank third in that category.

What's also troubling is seeing teams like the Giants with one freaking weapon..walking all over the defense..same with the jets..did their wrs have any catches?

Yes, Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson and Braxton Berrios combined for four catches for 66 yards on Sunday.

I heard someone say recently that the teams that are winning this year are running teams with good defenses. Is the era of the pass happy NFL coming to an end? Pendulum starting to swing back the other way?

I don't think so. Only two teams out of the top 10 in rushing yards per game currently have a winning record.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers just doesn't look good. Holding the ball on 3rd down and taking sacks drives me nuts. I get you don't want to turn the ball over, but a pick on 3rd down on their side of the field would be like a punt. Taking a sack pushes them out of FG range and loses the scoring opportunity. Also, taking a deep shot on 4th and 3 drives me nuts. All they need is three yards.
Players have to make plays, but I do think coaching has been a dud.
I don't particularly care for it either, but what are you going to do? Defenses are taking away everything up front. We don't have pass catchers that are winning in their first 2 steps and giving a window to throw. Teams know what works for us and those short passing lanes are covered or filled. We probably had as many 2yards or less carries as we did 2+ in that game with most positive coming when we're losing already. Going to run it and feel good about it?

Turns out Rodgers and Doubs were off by about 3-4 inches on that play that would have been huge. Is that so different than gaining 2 on a run when you needed 3? and on some of those sacks, the pocket collapsed so quickly i'm not sure what some of you are expecting other than absolute perfection on every snap. Players need to make plays, but it's hard to make any when you're getting trucked every play on the offensive line.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Secondary, Tonyan

Duds: O-line, Barry's run D, MLF NOT having to O run thru the RB's (again!!).

Butkus needs to go... Best 5 should've been on the field starting last week (left to right): Bakhtiari-Jenkins-Myers-Runyan-Nijman.
Newman will be addressed. Runyan admitted he had a bad game. And Jenkins with 2 holds and a false start?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newman will be addressed. Runyan admitted he had a bad game. And Jenkins with 2 holds and a false start?
I'm not so worried about Jenkins. I just think he's back too quickly. I don't think he's moving quite the same yet so he's not as able to get or keep position on those faster guys on the edge and it's forcing a lot of mistakes.
I'm definitely interested to see how they address this. RG I think is affecting center and RT as well as the gaping hole he's leaving on most plays. It's a problem beyond just the RG position. Worst case scenario, move Jenkins down or back to LG if Runyan can move to right.where he's protected from those speed guys and he knows how to play in the space. But just put the weak link at RT whoever it is. Then we call plays like it instead of having center, RG, RT all be weak.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing 3-3 or 4-2. I think we'd be running the ball more with Love. Probably would have lost the Tampa game though I think we'd have won one or two of the games against the other teams we lost to. Really no way to know obviously but Rodgers has been wildly inconsistent and isn't seeming to having a positive effect on team chemistry that I can tell.
With Love you would obviously see him take off and run sooner than hold the ball and throw it out of bounds like Rodgers. But then you would see some INTs as well.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I don't particularly care for it either, but what are you going to do? Defenses are taking away everything up front. We don't have pass catchers that are winning in their first 2 steps and giving a window to throw. Teams know what works for us and those short passing lanes are covered or filled. We probably had as many 2yards or less carries as we did 2+ in that game with most positive coming when we're losing already. Going to run it and feel good about it?

Turns out Rodgers and Doubs were off by about 3-4 inches on that play that would have been huge. Is that so different than gaining 2 on a run when you needed 3? and on some of those sacks, the pocket collapsed so quickly i'm not sure what some of you are expecting other than absolute perfection on every snap. Players need to make plays, but it's hard to make any when you're getting trucked every play on the offensive line.
After rewatching quite a bit of the game I would have to agree with you. Taking the sacks and tossing the long ball on fourth still does bother me. I think that is more of a play calling thing though. I think this is much more on the offensive line for sure. Watching some of the highlights of Newman almost makes me want to throw up. That was a rough go.

Krabs

Reaction score
I'm not so worried about Jenkins. I just think he's back too quickly. I don't think he's moving quite the same yet so he's not as able to get or keep position on those faster guys on the edge and it's forcing a lot of mistakes.
I'm definitely interested to see how they address this. RG I think is affecting center and RT as well as the gaping hole he's leaving on most plays. It's a problem beyond just the RG position. Worst case scenario, move Jenkins down or back to LG if Runyan can move to right.where he's protected from those speed guys and he knows how to play in the space. But just put the weak link at RT whoever it is. Then we call plays like it instead of having center, RG, RT all be weak.
While I'm merely an arm chair coach, the natural move to make for me seems to move Jenkins to RG and move Nijman to RT. Obviously, I'm not at the practices, but it seems the logical move.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But just put the weak link at RT whoever it is. Then we call plays like it instead of having center, RG, RT all be weak.
and then at least we could help him out and not have the whole line be a sieve. And probably be able to run some up the gut.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Due to having family in town all weekend, this was the first Packer game in years that I didn't either go to or watch on TV. I avoided the score, but had heard they lost. Finally watched the recorded game yesterday and what a S show that was. The defense actually played pretty well, but seemed to cave in, once it was obvious that the offense was not going to win the game.

The Packers lack of investment in WR's over the last 7 years, is finally biting them firmly in the ****. Rodgers was visibly toast by the second half and that thumb seemed to be more on his mind as the game progressed. Defenses are taking away the Packers short game and they have no long game. This could be a long season and I don't think signing any of the current FA WR's could save it. The OL is going to have to improve a lot and the receivers as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm merely an arm chair coach, the natural move to make for me seems to move Jenkins to RG and move Nijman to RT. Obviously, I'm not at the practices, but it seems the logical move.
At this point I'd at least like to see them try it. I have a feeling something is happening this week. Whether we just line up with the heavies and run, run run. No zone ready RPO make a read and run it, it's going to be line up and smash them in the mouth and see if we can win. OR, a new Oline combination, which will of course lead to some growing pains again, but maybe quicker growth? I don't know, but something has to give.

Reaction score
Honestly it all. Jaire and maybe Jones are the only guys that left me with good tastes in my mouth off pure memory.

Everyone looks, slow, old, reactive not proactive and like we're not well coached. Rodgers sucks at his deep ball touch, Dillon literally looks like he is wearing fishing waders filled with water trying to run, Jenkins is NOT fully healthy IMO and is not doing well...our Linebackers are no better than Blake ever was presently...tackling angles SUCK for everyone....

If I'm MLF, I'm telling the OL Coach look Zach Tom is in, I don't care where but we are going to tell this OL this is not acceptable at all, move Yosh to RT and Jenkins to his purest spot at LG. **** I'm fine you set Quay and Devondre if it wakes them up...
Exactly. Light a fire.

Put Eric Wilson in for Quay.

Put Tom in for Newman

Put Nij in at RT

Put Elgton in for Runyon.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After rewatching quite a bit of the game I would have to agree with you. Taking the sacks and tossing the long ball on fourth still does bother me. I think that is more of a play calling thing though. I think this is much more on the offensive line for sure. Watching some of the highlights of Newman almost makes me want to throw up. That was a rough go.
If it was not for the Hanson injury Royce is out of the game altogether.

D

Deleted member 6794

We probably had as many 2yards or less carries as we did 2+ in that game with most positive coming when we're losing already. Going to run it and feel good about it?

You're right about that. The Packers had 10 runs of more than two yards while having another 10 gaining either two or less yards against the Jets.

While I'm merely an arm chair coach, the natural move to make for me seems to move Jenkins to RG and move Nijman to RT.

Jenkins has never taken a snap at right guard for the Packers. I would prefer to move him to left guard and start over on the right side completely. Preferably trying Runyan at guard and Nijman at tackle.

Krabs

Reaction score
Jenkins has never taken a snap at right guard for the Packers. I would prefer to move him to left guard and start over on the right side completely. Preferably trying Runyan at guard and Nijman at tackle.
Maybe true, but Jenkins has shown versatility. Maybe not as of late at tackle. Inside at guard I don't think is an issue. When I played Madden 15-20 years ago I'd move lineman around all the time. Worked out well for me. ;)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What the hell is their problem with putting Nijman in? He's big, athletic, has played well and still has a good upside. Enough of Newman and Hanson.

Reaction score
o
What the hell is their problem with putting Nijman in? He's big, athletic, has played well and still has a good upside. Enough of Newman and Hanson.
idk. I have a gut feeling we’ll see a different look this week. I hope we get Nijman out there. I don’t think there’s much difference between him and Jenkins at RT, but Jenkins should be an immediate upgrade at either Guard spot.

I understand the continuity argument. However, this is one of a few situations where we don’t need to to feel guilty. Hanson is down and Newman is not playing good again.

If Matt truly means what he aka was said about “getting your best 5 on the field” he’s got to pull Royce. Love the guy, but this game is about next man up when someone is injured or performing. Also I’ll just close by saying we’ve got a pretty deep bench as far as guys who are starter capable

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
o

idk. I have a gut feeling we’ll see a different look this week. I hope we get Nijman out there. I don’t think there’s much difference between him and Jenkins at RT, but Jenkins should be an immediate upgrade at either Guard spot.

I understand the continuity argument. However, this is one of a few situations where we don’t need to to feel guilty. Hanson is down and Newman is not playing good again.

If Matt truly means what he aka was said about “getting your best 5 on the field” he’s got to pull Royce. Love the guy, but this game is about next man up when someone is injured or performing. Also I’ll just close by saying we’ve got a pretty deep bench as far as guys who are starter capable
And there could be some growing pains, some false starts. But then we already have them now.

Reaction score
And there could be some growing pains, some false starts. But then we already have them now.
Exactly. We already know what we’ve got at RG and it’s not up to expectation. It probably won’t be good again this week.. if that makes sense?

Watching this last Jets game made me realize that our Center is still very young. He’s basically got 1/2 season of experience. My thought is moving Elgton to RG and leaving Runyon at LG for continuity. We don’t want to shuffle that entire lineup in some experiment this week. Just slide Elgton and bring Nijman at RT. Yosh has also been very athletic in the Run block and he’s a good 2nd level blocker also.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A TON of good O-line talk here, nothing to single out as there a lot of good points here. I've come around and think still have a shot at the playoffs this year. I like the idea of Runyan and Elgton at the guards, no more Jenkins at guard.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe true, but Jenkins has shown versatility. Maybe not as of late at tackle. Inside at guard I don't think is an issue.

I would prefer the Packers to move Jenkins to guard as well but think it might be smart to line him up on the left side.

I'm surprised the coaching staff hasn't put in Nijman as well. They might be reluctant because he hasn't played on the right side before.

It seems to me the coaching staff doesn't want to have players lining up in positions they have no experience at.

Also I’ll just close by saying we’ve got a pretty deep bench as far as guys who are starter capable

Unfortunately I doubt that statement to be true. Otherwise the coaching staff would have made changes by now.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. We already know what we’ve got at RG and it’s not up to expectation. It probably won’t be good again this week.. if that makes sense?

Watching this last Jets game made me realize that our Center is still very young. He’s basically got 1/2 season of experience. My thought is moving Elgton to RG and leaving Runyon at LG for continuity. We don’t want to shuffle that entire lineup in some experiment this week. Just slide Elgton and bring Nijman at RT. Yosh has also been very athletic in the Run block and he’s a good 2nd level blocker also.
We really don't know what our o-line capabilities are for RG or RT. No one has ever played NFL snaps on the right side other than Newman and Jenkins to my knowledge. That tells me the other options are struggling in practice with right side duties. No way to know if some are coming around or not unless they show up as a starter this Sunday.

Members online

Latest posts