Duds vs Jets

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I would rather see a higher percentage of completion short pass, with the hopes that the receiver can pick up YAC to get a first down, then to throw a deep Hail Mary into double coverage. Maybe all those Hail Mary's that Rodgers completed in the first half of his career has tainted his memory into thinking that they are easier than they look?
Agreed. The foundation of the West Coast offense IS short passes with YAC. But I guess the 90s are long gone. It is the short stuff that opens up for the deep shot. As great as he has always been up until now Rodgers has been spoiled with a plethora of weapons over his Packer tenure. And on the field at the SAME TIME.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had the blockers, go back and watch the play. Dillon moved to the left and blocked nobody at all and the linebacker came right thru the gap between Meyers and the RG and was ready to Rock Rodgers as soon as he was throwing. why change the play? How do you know Watson wasn't just to take safety out of there and 2 guys working deeper from left to right weren't the intended targets of the play? They should have been able to block it, they should not have had to change anything. It was 3rd and 10.

Even if he could have stepped in and drove the ball more, it could have been completed rather than his altered motion knowing he was getting blown up leaving the ball hang a bit again and Joseph was able to get over there.

And yes, Cousins should throw it deeper, Rodgers should throw it shorter. But who was shorter in a pattern? Tonyan 4 yards behind the LOS? I wouldn't bet on him gaining 14 yards after the catch if you spotted him 13.5 yards head start.
Yes. It was 3rd and 10 but it was also 4 down territory time regardless. You have 2 plays to make 10 yards. If we punt there the game is virtually over. We trailed by 4 not 3. I watched Starr, Lynn ****ey, Zeke Bratkowski, and Favre. The Lions did not disguise anything. You could see this coming a mile away. It was not a one linebacker red dog. It was jailbreak time. React to it. Receivers change your route. Throw underneath. Live another down if necessary. The Pack has been so accustomed to a horrible Lion defense especially in Lambeau for so long. During their Motown winning streak they played much better. And we were not ready for it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As great as he has always been up until now Rodgers has been spoiled with a plethora of weapons over his Packer tenure. And on the field at the SAME TIME.
I would say up until about 2017 that was the case. That was his last year with Jordy, Cobb and Adams. We always saw a substantial drop, when 1 or more of those guys were hurt. After that, Gute slowly let the cupboard go bone dry.

As far as TE's go, Rodgers hasn't had much there, other than Finley.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes. It was 3rd and 10 but it was also 4 down territory time regardless. You have 2 plays to make 10 yards. If we punt there the game is virtually over. We trailed by 4 not 3. I watched Starr, Lynn ****ey, Zeke Bratkowski, and Favre. The Lions did not disguise anything. You could see this coming a mile away. It was not a one linebacker red dog. It was jailbreak time. React to it. Receivers change your route. Throw underneath. Live another down if necessary. The Pack has been so accustomed to a horrible Lion defense especially in Lambeau for so long. During their Motown winning streak they played much better. And we were not ready for it.

Once again, the biggest issue was Dillon completely blowing his assignment ending up blocking no one on the play allowing the Lions a free shot at Rodgers. I highly doubt that ball would have been intercepted if he would have been able to step into the throw.

If you watch the play again there wasn't any receiver open Rodgers could have targeted instead.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the biggest issue was Dillon completely blowing his assignment ending up blocking no one on the play allowing the Lions a free shot at Rodgers. I highly doubt that ball would have been intercepted if he would have been able to step into the throw.

If you watch the play again there wasn't any receiver open Rodgers could have targeted instead.
Even if Dillon makes his block Rodgers would not have had time to find someone and would not have even escaped the rush. Take the pressure away from your QB, shorten the route, cut inside, and run after the catch. Unless one thinks the Lion secondary is as bad as it has been for the last 2 decades and blows the coverage completely.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even if Dillon makes his block Rodgers would not have had time to find someone and would not have even escaped the rush. Take the pressure away from your QB, shorten the route, cut inside, and run after the catch. Unless one thinks the Lion secondary is as bad as it has been for the last 2 decades and blows the coverage completely.

Rodgers had already started his throwing motion at the time Dillon missed his blocked with resulted in the quarterback not being allow to follow through on the throw. I'm convinced the ball wouldn't have hung up in the air for an eternity for Joseph to pick it off if that hadn't happened.

With that being said, I didn't like the play call all that much but there's no way of knowing if MLF or Rodgers were responsible for it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had already started his throwing motion at the time Dillon missed his blocked with resulted in the quarterback not being allow to follow through on the throw. I'm convinced the ball wouldn't have hung up in the air for an eternity for Joseph to pick it off if that hadn't happened.

With that being said, I didn't like the play call all that much but there's no way of knowing if MLF or Rodgers were responsible for it.
from the post game interviews with HC and QB, i thought it was pretty clear who called the last series. But he probably just called it that way to appease his QB...

D

Deleted member 6794

from the post game interviews with HC and QB, i thought it was pretty clear who called the last series. But he probably just called it that way to appease his QB...

I didn't watch any of the post game interviews but I'm quite sure that MLF only mentioned that he called those plays to cover up for Rodgers changing them at the LOS.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch any of the post game interviews but I'm quite sure that MLF only mentioned that he called those plays to cover up for Rodgers changing them at the LOS.
Basically I heard from both, QB, didn't really care for the play calls, but we have to execute. From the HC, he said that, well you're not always going to like them, but we gotta excecute was the gist of it. And regardless of who called what, they're both right. Doesn't matter what you call, if you don't execute. Nothing has a chance if you don't block it right, cut your defender down, wall them off, open a hole, put the ball in a catchable place, catch the ball etc.