Dontari poe is the missing link.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted this monster center piece when he went 11th overall. Wanted him last year when Atlanta got him. Still want him now. 27 years old.

He is the type of guy who causes a ripple effect through the whole defense. Poe forces the double team. Daniels and Clark don't get doubled and squeeze the pocket. Perry becomes an after thought.... those four would be dominant as a constant.

Poe could get a couple year deal that would come up when Clark's rookie deal starts paying better...

8 mil/yr they are saying.... we need to make it a priority.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm...you gonna play him at NT over Clark? Or are you expecting Clark to play at end?

Neither are a very good idea.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Poe would be the 3rd best player on the defensive line. I do not think that the 3rd best DL on a given team would be “the missing link.”

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I like big guys as much as the next (and please don't mis-interpret me), but Poe is not the missing link. if he's affordable enough and we get a heavy rotation of big guys instead of a heavy rotation of smaller OLB's that get eaten at the line whenever they rush, I'm all for it. But let's not make him into something he's not, and I'd rather quite a few other guys before him anyway

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen some predictions that we'll take Vita Vea high up. Looks to be a more economical bet than Poe.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hearing good things about Vita. Could be one of 3 NT/DT types at our pick. However, are we sure that DLine is where we will look first?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never be opposed to having a dominant defensive line or adding to Daniels and Clark.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm hearing good things about Vita. Could be one of 3 NT/DT types at our pick. However, are we sure that DLine is where we will look first?

No, but if that’s where the value is then by all means.

I do think it’s notable that great Pettine defenses have been 3-4 schemes that prioritized the DL.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like Poe and would mimic what Mondio said, at the right price, but I think that price will be more than the Packers want to invest. I remember reading about why the Chiefs were letting him hit Free Agency last year and it was a concern for his long term durability. He is a huge guy who saw a ton of snaps in KC and he powered through it again in Atlanta, so not sure if and when he will hit that wall.

I have to admit that he would be a "fun" addition to the team, he plays with a high motor and will even play on offense in short yardage situations. I think when he was with the Chiefs he had scores by rushing, receiving and throwing the football?

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve always been a fan of the big man in the middle. Love the idea of a Wilfork plugging the middle. However like a few have said... at the right price. I wouldn’t throw money at him and I think there’s a few guys in the draft this year you could get for a lot less

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Poe and would mimic what Mondio said, at the right price, but I think that price will be more than the Packers want to invest. I remember reading about why the Chiefs were letting him hit Free Agency last year and it was a concern for his long term durability. He is a huge guy who saw a ton of snaps in KC and he powered through it again in Atlanta, so not sure if and when he will hit that wall.

I have to admit that he would be a "fun" addition to the team, he plays with a high motor and will even play on offense in short yardage situations. I think when he was with the Chiefs he had scores by rushing, receiving and throwing the football?
He's an offensive phenom, if he touches the ball, it's pretty much a 100% TD rate. Rodgers doesn't even come close to that. He should be a 2 way player

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

First, I am by no means very good at evaluating College talent, so get that out of the way right away :coffee: However, in looking at film of Vita, for the first time, I saw something that really impressed me. Besides his sheer size, motor and quickness for a big man, I noticed his vision. If you watch him, he seems to always know where the ball is and even though he is engaged by an opponent(s), he is working his way towards the ball.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I am by no means very good at evaluating College talent, so get that out of the way right away :coffee: However, in looking at film of Vita, for the first time, I saw something that really impressed me. Besides his sheer size, motor and quickness for a big man, I noticed his vision. If you watch him, he seems to always know where the ball is and even though he is engaged by an opponent(s), he is working his way towards the ball.

Holy crap... Greenbay needs this guy.
I havnt gotten to the draft stage yet. I'm stuck being responsible for my stupid career. But if I did, I would have found this guy 3 minutes in and immediately started a post about drafting him at #14. Lol. You know this.

Everything you said was true. Wow. 340. Quick. And even I can see what you pointed out about his vision. He seems to have control and keeps his eyes on the ball... this guy is going to be a star. Next to Clark and Daniels, he would dominate. 26 sacks. Easy! :)

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy crap... Greenbay needs this guy.
I havnt gotten to the draft stage yet. I'm stuck being responsible for my stupid career. But if I did, I would have found this guy 3 minutes in and immediately started a post about drafting him at #14. Lol. You know this.

Everything you said was true. Wow. 340. Quick. And even I can see what you pointed out about his vision. He seems to have control and keeps his eyes on the ball... this guy is going to be a star. Next to Clark and Daniels, he would dominate. 26 sacks. Easy! :)

The only problem I see, if he's this good he might see his draft stock rise at the combine.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I struggle with evaluating defensive linemen, especially in the college game. I see some good, some less-than-good. He might very well be worth no. 14. I real problem is I don't see much of a pass rusher.

He's great in the run game. I agree with Pokerbrat2000 that probably his best asset is his smarts. He's getting blown off the ball here and there, but everyone loses sometimes.

I'm less impressed in the passing game. I've only flipped through the video twice, but his sacks seem to be the result of someone else. Either another player on the d-line is getting double-teamed leaving 50 one on one. Or the quarterback foolishly panics or is otherwise flushed into 50. I think I only saw him clearly win one time and it was a bullrush that knocked the guard on his back.

That's impressive strength, but if he's a "man among boys" in the college game, what happens when he ISN'T head and shoulders stronger the the competition? Does he actually have pass rush moves? Or if he faces a center or guard who has a good anchor, will he just be stuck playing patty-cake and the line?

And then there's the problem with highlight reels. Of course he looks good, these are his highlights. Show me his bad plays.

How does his film compare to Clark? Clark appears to be a pretty good pick. How would we compare the two? Better? Worse? How about the various facets of his game?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And then there's the problem with highlight reels. Of course he looks good, these are his highlights. Show me his bad plays.

I totally agree with this statement and have made mention of that fact many times. I think I even found a great highlight reel of future Hall of Famer Jeff Janis when he drafted in 2014. :coffee:

What like to find, if available, is something like this video and I am guessing it is closer to what scouts watch. This appears to be a compilation of Vita Vea and the Washington defense on every snap in a game against Stanford. Vea is always easy to spot because of his hair, but they have a nice little exploding icon on him before each play.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with this statement and have made mention of that fact many times. I think I even found a great highlight reel of future Hall of Famer Jeff Janis when he drafted in 2014. :coffee:

I'm a little less impressed now. That or Stanford #73 is really good. He consistently wins against Vita, both in the run and the pass. That video showed Stanford running right at Vita in a goal to go situation and he got completely washed out.

Rushing more as a DE, he's slow, so no one suggest actually playing him any wider than a 5T with any regularity.

I also see him coming out of his stance pretty high and playing with poor leverage kind of a lot. aka, bad pad level.

He could end up being a great player, but I didn't see dominance at least in that game.

Reaction score
He's an offensive phenom, if he touches the ball, it's pretty much a 100% TD rate. Rodgers doesn't even come close to that. He should be a 2 way player
lol. I swear when I read this I totally expected to see Mike McCarthy's picture profile to the left! Maybe he's rubbing off on you :laugh:
p.s. I can see him more of a "Jeff Janis" replacement #7 WR, Special Teams ace type :whistling:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little less impressed now. That or Stanford #73 is really good. He consistently wins against Vita, both in the run and the pass. That video showed Stanford running right at Vita in a goal to go situation and he got completely washed out.

Rushing more as a DE, he's slow, so no one suggest actually playing him any wider than a 5T with any regularity.

I also see him coming out of his stance pretty high and playing with poor leverage kind of a lot. aka, bad pad level.

He could end up being a great player, but I didn't see dominance at least in that game.
Clark was a state champ wrestler I believe. And if I remember right, Daniels had a wrestling back ground too....
It seems to make too much sense, that if they can win one on one in wrestling. They can beat one on one in football . Leverage, quickness, strength.... we need more ex-wrestlers...

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark was a state champ wrestler I believe. And if I remember right, Daniels had a wrestling back ground too....
It seems to make too much sense, that if they can win one on one in wrestling. They can beat one on one in football . Leverage, quickness, strength.... we need more ex-wrestlers...

Then you have your mission. Drop your template by a few pounds (Clark at 315, Daniels just shy of 300) and add wrestler to it. Go find a few guys.

There probably aren't too many of them that'll fit the bill. The top weight class tops out at (afaik) 285 or so.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think every kid should wrestle at some point, especially when young and probably as they get older. I'm going off on a complete tangent here and i'm sure nobody will follow so I'm not in danger of really taking this thread of course, but most people don't realize how much brain development happens because of movement. The tumbling, twisting, turning, all varied and all full range of motion movements that wrestling promotes creates connections in the higher learning centers of the brain via cerebellum stimulation from movement it's great for creating a big healthy dense brain filled with so many more synapses than those that don't have very active childhoods. Put simply movement builds brains from birth to 7 at varied levels and maintains it thru a lifetime.

Everyone could benefit from that. The balance, respect, coordination, strength and mental toughness that it's just you and nobody is coming to help can help in any situation as you get older. Football specific, same thing, beat the guy in front of you, balance, agility, hand skills, leverage, how to use it and strength. Offensive or defensive line, find me big guys that used to be good wrestlers and you have a great person to work with.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then you have your mission. Drop your template by a few pounds (Clark at 315, Daniels just shy of 300) and add wrestler to it. Go find a few guys.

There probably aren't too many of them that'll fit the bill. The top weight class tops out at (afaik) 285 or so.

Sometimes 'unlimited', sometimes just 'heavyweight', but I think the highest class is always for guys (well, that's changed, too) who can be as big as they want to be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol. I swear when I read this I totally expected to see Mike McCarthy's picture profile to the left! Maybe he's rubbing off on you :laugh:
p.s. I can see him more of a "Jeff Janis" replacement #7 WR, Special Teams ace type :whistling:
I came up with that all on my own. He can't rub off on me, I don't see him