Dontari poe is the missing link.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think every kid should wrestle at some point, especially when young and probably as they get older. I'm going off on a complete tangent here and i'm sure nobody will follow so I'm not in danger of really taking this thread of course, but most people don't realize how much brain development happens because of movement. The tumbling, twisting, turning, all varied and all full range of motion movements that wrestling promotes creates connections in the higher learning centers of the brain via cerebellum stimulation from movement it's great for creating a big healthy dense brain filled with so many more synapses than those that don't have very active childhoods. Put simply movement builds brains from birth to 7 at varied levels and maintains it thru a lifetime.

Everyone could benefit from that. The balance, respect, coordination, strength and mental toughness that it's just you and nobody is coming to help can help in any situation as you get older. Football specific, same thing, beat the guy in front of you, balance, agility, hand skills, leverage, how to use it and strength. Offensive or defensive line, find me big guys that used to be good wrestlers and you have a great person to work with.

There have definitely been some wrestlers in the NFL through the years. Even James Campen was a wrestler. Not sure how complete this list is though, since I don't even see Mike Daniels on it and his wrestling background is mentioned quite frequently in the media.

http://www.calgrappler.com/nfl-players-that-wrestled/

and of course, there are the Professional Football players who go into wrestling after Football.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/...otball-players-turned-wrestlers/ahmed-johnson

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The giants 2nd rounder last year was a 3 time state champ. He had 50 tackles as a rookie in 2017.
There's a 300 pound dt from Stanford who had 103 tackles?! 7 sacks. He didn't look as impressive in the game against Washington as his stats show. But worth a better look I'd say. I fell asleep. :)

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The giants 2nd rounder last year was a 3 time state champ. He had 50 tackles as a rookie in 2017.
There's a 300 pound dt from Stanford who had 103 tackles?! 7 sacks. He didn't look as impressive in the game against Washington as his stats show. But worth a better look I'd say. I fell asleep. :)

My limited time is showing--what was Stanford's schedule like?

The 7 sacks thing is pretty impressive, but it requires some context. Did he get 5 of them against East-Cupcake Tech? Was the scheme setup to feature him?

The 100 tackles is so high as to be absurd. How the hell did that happen? Are they counting ever assisted tackle? Is he getting them because he's getting blown off the ball so hard he turns into a linebacker half the time? Or more damning, is this his college career stats?

If he legitimately got in the ballpark 100 tackles in one season as an interior line player, he'd be great as a run plugger.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think you are talking about Harrison Phillips? The thing I like about Phillips is his push across the line of scrimmage. 14.5 of his tackles were for loss. That is one thing the Packers defense seems to lack. Blake Martinez lead the team in TFL with 10. Chandler Jones of the Cardinals lead the league with 28!

Stanford had a respectable schedule and Phillips 7 sacks came against decent teams:
  • Rice
  • USC
  • San Diego State (.5 sacks)
  • UCLA (1)
  • Arizona State (1)
  • Utah
  • Oregon (1)
  • Oregon State
  • Washington State (1)
  • Washington
  • California
  • Notre Dame (2)
  • USC (.5)
  • TCU
*****WARNING THIS IS A HIGHLIGHT REEL*****

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are talking about Harrison Phillips? The thing I like about Phillips is his push across the line of scrimmage. 14.5 of his tackles were for loss. That is one thing the Packers defense seems to lack. Blake Martinez lead the team in TFL with 10. Chandler Jones of the Cardinals lead the league with 28!

Stanford had a respectable schedule and Phillips 7 sacks came against decent teams:
*****WARNING THIS IS A HIGHLIGHT REEL*****

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

So this highlight reel at least looks better. PART of the difference could be scheme--he looks to be playing in more of a 1-gap defense vs. Washington seemingly playing more of a 2-gap scheme. (Could be wrong, basing this on the video.) Anytime you're 1-gapping, you're going to be playing a little more aggressive and trying to play a little bit on the other side of the LOS. The trade off is being vulnerable to that counters and kind of stuff.

All that said, I see more obvious skills that translate to the NFL. He's big, strong, and quick. He often demanded the double-team and held up better than the guy from Washington. When he shot the gaps, he had at least two moves: a bullrush and a swim. I think I saw a rip too, but I'm at work and not watching as close as I should (busy, you know, working.)

Like Washington #50, he's an interior guy. The sack (1/2 sack?) against USC was the QB getting flushed. He took an outside move (might have been a stunt?) and he draw the double team, but he was stoned and just about ran himself (very slowly) out of the play. He was in the right spot at the right time when the QB got flushed.