Don't laugh...this butt-kicking could be a positive

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, all aspects of the Packers performance...including the return of "Bonehead Brett"...stunk. When your punter has the best performance of the night, you know it sucks.

New England shows why they are the champs. They have a veteran team with some outstanding players. They also are familiar with Bates' defense from Miami.

The special teams thing isn't good...but I think you will see marked improvement after the roster is paired down and the same players practice. All the changing around contributes to the problem. I'm concerned, but not overly concerned there.

The defense actually had some bright spots. They were playing without their starting tackles and showed a little bit of grit, though Kampman was waaaaay overmatched. New England made their blocks and held them. The second unit is just plain awful. The depth is a mile wide and an inch deep. The secondary didn't stand out as bad. They are hurt because the line is simply not capable of a pass rush.

The offensive line was putrid. Woolfolk owned Mike Flanagan. He flat out owned him. Klemm did a wonderful impression of a store doll standing around wondering what to do...Whittaker is still too slow. Even Clifton was unsure what to do...This unit is the most disturbing of the bunch. It's time to set on the starters and drill and drill and drill. Even the U-71 was stopped. Barry looked tentative. They did better against New England's second defense, but what does that tell you?

Maybe Green will get his fumbleitis out of his system. Not a good thing to do in a "contract year", Ahman.
Good thing Bubba came back. The backup tight ends really are bad. Mediocre blockers and not much as receivers.

Brett had another one of his dysfunctional nights. Rodgers, on the other hand, looks like he could be something, once he figures out where the receivers are supposed to be. I think he's a year away. If Brett comes back next year, there could be competition.

Why could this be a positive? Because all the talk, crapping around, this and that came into sharp focus Friday night: they played the champs and now have a very sharp measure on how far they have to go.
I think Sherman needs to get the team's collective head out it's ****( and his own) and focus them to get the job done. Sherman's Packers always start slow, but the New England game could be the kick in the pants to get the coaches, players and the rest of the team focusing in on how far they have to go to compete with the top echelon teams.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you are right,and this helps them turn it around.If they start out slow again, with 3 out of the first 5 at home,that will be hard to come back from. :cross:

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were some (ok not many) bright spots.We held time of possession and had a better punting average as well as a better punt return average.
The O-line is a real concern at this time but I believe they will start to jell over the next two weeks. The defense looks real bad now but I believe they will get alot better over the next two weeks also.
We need to cut down on turnovers and penalties and I think that will happen.
Special teams looks like a cluster ****. That may be the hardest issue to fix. We lost to the World Champions who are alot deeper than we are but I think the Green Bay Packers will still be conference champs at the end of the regular season.

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this is not the time nor the place, but World Champions? I know thats what the title says, but normally World Champions means that you win your victories against teams outside the national league. I know the rest of the world prob wouldnt stand much of a chance, but i guess we will never know. Now back on track. Its a preseason game.. a place where you try different things, positions, force the ball abit more, etc.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Yes, all aspects of the Packers performance...including the return of "Bonehead Brett"...stunk. When your punter has the best performance of the night, you know it sucks.

New England shows why they are the champs. They have a veteran team with some outstanding players. They also are familiar with Bates' defense from Miami.

The special teams thing isn't good...but I think you will see marked improvement after the roster is paired down and the same players practice. All the changing around contributes to the problem. I'm concerned, but not overly concerned there.

The defense actually had some bright spots. They were playing without their starting tackles and showed a little bit of grit, though Kampman was waaaaay overmatched. New England made their blocks and held them. The second unit is just plain awful. The depth is a mile wide and an inch deep. The secondary didn't stand out as bad. They are hurt because the line is simply not capable of a pass rush.

The offensive line was putrid. Woolfolk owned Mike Flanagan. He flat out owned him. Klemm did a wonderful impression of a store doll standing around wondering what to do...Whittaker is still too slow. Even Clifton was unsure what to do...This unit is the most disturbing of the bunch. It's time to set on the starters and drill and drill and drill. Even the U-71 was stopped. Barry looked tentative. They did better against New England's second defense, but what does that tell you?

Maybe Green will get his fumbleitis out of his system. Not a good thing to do in a "contract year", Ahman.
Good thing Bubba came back. The backup tight ends really are bad. Mediocre blockers and not much as receivers.

Brett had another one of his dysfunctional nights. Rodgers, on the other hand, looks like he could be something, once he figures out where the receivers are supposed to be. I think he's a year away. If Brett comes back next year, there could be competition.

Why could this be a positive? Because all the talk, crapping around, this and that came into sharp focus Friday night: they played the champs and now have a very sharp measure on how far they have to go.
I think Sherman needs to get the team's collective head out it's ****( and his own) and focus them to get the job done. Sherman's Packers always start slow, but the New England game could be the kick in the pants to get the coaches, players and the rest of the team focusing in on how far they have to go to compete with the top echelon teams.

I agree with everything you've said here net..except for one thing. There is NO COMPETITION for Brett Favre as long as he puts on a helmet in GB, that's absolutely crystal clear in my mind. Yes he sucked yesterday but I'll tell you what, penalties and the lack of a running game is going to make a lot of good QB's look bad. I don't want to sit here and make excuses for #4 though, he played really poorly. Overall, his preseason has been pretty good up to this point and watch him rebound in the final preseason game.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Core said:
I know this is not the time nor the place, but World Champions? I know thats what the title says, but normally World Champions means that you win your victories against teams outside the national league. I know the rest of the world prob wouldnt stand much of a chance, but i guess we will never know. Now back on track. Its a preseason game.. a place where you try different things, positions, force the ball abit more, etc.

Yes, core. WORLD CHAMPIONS! That is what the best team in the best arena for football otherwise known as the National Football League is referred as. Trust me, the Barcelona Dragons wouldn't hold a prayer against the NE Patriots. You see, all those players in Europe playing American Football really are trying to get better so they can even make an NFL roster. Just wanted to clarify that for you. 8)

As far as the other stuff you posted, I think many NFL teams use "vanilla" formations during much of the preseason as to not show their hand too soon before the season starts. Watch many teams put in different things they'll use in the season for the final preseason game.

Reaction score
We can't ecpect to do anything, unless we have a pass rush. The fact is a pass rush is a MUST for the D to succeed. We simply do not have that. Bates said he would bring as many men needed to get a pass rush going, but here is my question. If you can't do it with four, five, or six players, then what other option do you have? We simply cannot generate a pass rush, and our LB(s) who blitz cannot disengage from blockers. :evil: The fact is simple, until there IS a pass rush, the Pack are gonna be in for a long year, regardless of the year Brett has.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For many years the NFL championship game was referred to World Championship Game. Super Bowl I was first called the AFL-NFL Championship Game, later to become called the Super Bowl. I have a Monday December 31, 1962 Green Bay Press-Gazette Sports page Titled "Packers Repeat as World Champs". Packers beat the Giants in New York 16 to 7. First time Super World was used is January 15, 1967 from Green Bay Press-Gazette. "They (Packers) reach and conquered the summit by handing the AFL-champion Kansas City Chiefs a 35-10 whipping in pro football's first Super Bowl Sunday.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree things don't look great after a game like last night. The realist in me sees the holes on the D-line, and the question marks on the O-line and in the secondary.

The optimist in me though still says "Remember the Titans"?

No, not the movie, but the Monday night game last year where we got smacked and dropped to 1-4. You had to seriously wonder if the Packers would win another game after looking so bad against the Titans last year. They rebounded to have a decent season though, so hopefully the Packers can do the same this year after an unimpressive preseason so far. If not, there's always beer :p

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
hopefully the Packers can do the same this year after an unimpressive preseason so far. If not, there's always beer :p

:agree: :beersign:

Anywho, yeah...I don't care if the Packers have ugly stretches or lose or whatever, but they've just looked like complete crap all preseason. At least the first string passing game was working up 'til yesterday (and then Bonehead Brett (as net says) re-emerges). Both lines are making me really nervous right now, and yes, it's only preseason, but some of the indications and things you look for in the preseason all happen to be causes for concern right now.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
The optimist in me though still says "Remember the Titans"?

No, not the movie, but the Monday night game last year where we got smacked and dropped to 1-4.

I remember it well, my friend. It was my first time at Lambeau... I certainly hope they fare better against the Queens on 21 November when I return this year!

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Members online

Latest posts