1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Don't forget about DeShawn Wynn

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tromadz, Feb 25, 2008.

1. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Obviously we all love Ryan Grant and want to have his children, but don't forget about Wynn. We have two talented RBs going into next year, as well as young Brandon Jackson and situational back Morency.

We didn't have a run game all year until Ryan Grant, right? WRONG! Until DeShawn Wynn!

Wynn only played in the first 7 games(injury), but he averaged 4.1 and used his big body to lay the smackdown on people in short yardage situations.

He had 0 fumbles and while his numbers don't WOW you like Ryan Grant's, he did a lot of good things for the team.

He's going to be a great short yardage back and change of pace guy when Grant is tired from destroying opposing defenses.

Grant + Wynn = Very good duo

[​IMG]

2. Kyle

Kyle Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Potentially, yes, he could become the thunder to Grant's lightning. First, however, he has to prove that he wants to become a good player and that he can stay healthy. Those concerns aside, he is a beafcake.

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I'm gonna be "Black Hammer"... Who wants to be "White Lightning"?

4. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    I honestly think Wynn can be a really good situational back. He has the potential to plow for the 1-2 yards needed on 3rd down and goal line situations, decent speed and elusiveness, and has the potential to be a great blocker. If he can just get himself straight, I think he has tons of potential. Not sure if it's justified, but he remind me of Najeh Davenport type back, although a bit smaller.

5. subin

subin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think he'll even be on the team come September, especially if the Packers take a running back at some point in the draft this year. If he doesn't come to camp with an improved attitude, I think he's as good as gone.

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think he has a spot over Morency easily. He'll be on the team.

7. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    Well, yeah, that's what we're saying. Apparently he was pretty pissed about being placed on injured reserve last year. I think it let him know that the packers do not play around and also of the opportunity that he has. I'm going to keep having some faith in the guy unless I hear something that is discouraging.

8. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    I think Wyn is cut in camp. The issues with the run game were more do the the O-line's schemes not gelling yet then the backs we had I think.

9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I still dont see why people rag on a guy for wanting to fight through an injury and compete. Hasn't favre done that countless times?

obviously no injuries AS serious, but you get the point. I would rather have a guy out there who looks for reasons to play than a guy who looks for reasons to sit.

10. subin

subin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    During the beginning of the season, Wynn spent more time on the bench than on the field with injuries that many thought he should be able to play through

11. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Wynn is soft. He's always been soft. He's talented as all get out, but he's soft. He won't make the cut next year unless he toughens up and I don't see that happening.

12. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Wanna make it interesting?

13. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with this

14. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    I'm saying, give him another year of OTA's, training camp, and pre-season, evaluate him, and he's toughened up, keep him. If not, let him go.

I believe he will toughen up though. He has a great opportunity in front of him to be a valuable part of a super bowl contending football team.

If not, well, he deserves to be cut.

15. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    No, players only get 1 year(not even a full one) and you judge them off that. Apparently.

16. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd take Grant, Jackson, and the guy who this thread should be named after Noah Herron before him. At the very least though having those 3, Wynn, and maybe a free agent would create for a nice training camp battle.

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I like Wynn. He showed some flashes. I think Morency will be gone. Herron is a good back, but talent wise i think Wynn has much more potential.
    If he can show he wants it in camp, i think he will be here come the regular season.
    JMO

18. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    Hey, at least Wynn accomplished some things this season. I know Herron has in the past and I hope he continues, but as of recent history, Wynn has done more then Herron.

Here's to hoping Herron is back full strength to battle it out in training camp! May the best men win!!

19. BryanAschenbrenner

BryanAschenbrenner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a BIT off topic, but does anyone else remember when Morency had that game where he had 100 yards on only 10 or so carries? What the hell happened to him?

20. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    I honestly don't remember him getting that many opportunities, for whatever reason (s). I thought the few times he did touch the ball, he was decent. Or, at least not bad.

21. NFL_GEEK

NFL_GEEK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i definitely wanted to see more of WYNN next season...i thought he was a good and powered strong RB. along with GRANT that should be one awsome team

22. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I read Wynn had become a weight room addict while on injured reserve. Don't have the link but his work ethic seems to be improving.

23. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Welcome to the forum! :beer:

24. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I agree on the last part, and that is why I don't think you can cut Wynn.

He did a lot with terrible blocking. He displayed a knack for making plays, and I don't think you can ever have enough playmaking RBs on your team considering McCarthy's like for running the ball (or so McCarthy continually states).

McCarthy said on a couple of occasions that Wynn as a rookie picked up the offense as well as any person McCarthy has been around. Impressive coming from the coach that was here when the Greg one was drafted.

I trust our strength and conditioning coach to toughen Wynn up, assuming Wynn is committed to getting better. I see Wynn as our #2 RB next season, with B-Jack as the third-down guy.

25. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    heard that too, but seemingly hes always been a big weight room guy and looks tough but suffers alot from niggling injuries and attitude. In saying that, if there is anywhere in the NFL where a player can have an attitude readjustment its Green Bay.