Don't forget about DeShawn Wynn

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what your saying, but we have what 6 Running Backs on the roster right now? I just think that's far too many. There is no reason to keep more then 4 on the roster and someone has to go.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what your saying, but we have what 6 Running Backs on the roster right now? I just think that's far too many. There is no reason to keep more then 4 on the roster and someone has to go.

id say Herron and Morency will probably go first.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would keep Wynn around for the short running game atleast. Let MM line up Kuhn 250 and Hall 236 leading the way into the holes for Wynn at 232.

That is a lot of weight running into the line. I love smash mouth football.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yeah, we need to make room for all our D-linemen, hahaha.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree Morency is probably gone, I don't know if we keep all the rest or not. The other oddity is there are some VERY solid young backs this year in the draft too.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would keep Wynn around for the short running game atleast. Let MM line up Kuhn 250 and Hall 236 leading the way into the holes for Wynn at 232.

That is a lot of weight running into the line. I love smash mouth football.

Hall and Kuhn are pretty light for FB's niether of them are Lorenzo Neal but yah i get a great kick out of watching them both on O and on ST. Having them both come up and hit outta the Full House is pretty fun :)

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Why has everyone turned on the guy so quickly? From what I recall, with absolutely no run game, the only guy we did have at the time, every time Wynn touched the ball he did something with it. We didn't really run the ball, we did the short passes and screens all the time. He was great at that! He did get soft, and he was put on IR, but from what I hear, he was pissed about it, so maybe that will change his attitude to toughen up more, I'd at least believe that would happen to a frustrated back who lost his chance to lead a team at RB to 13-3.

I'm not giving up on Wynn just yet, from what I saw after 7 games in his ROOKIE year, I say this guy has a promising future. We give him another shot and I'm hoping to see he makes a big mark for us next year. Ryan Grant + Wynn = domination!

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:
Why has everyone turned on the guy so quickly? From what I recall, with absolutely no run game, the only guy we did have at the time, every time Wynn touched the ball he did something with it. We didn't really run the ball, we did the short passes and screens all the time. He was great at that! He did get soft, and he was put on IR, but from what I hear, he was pissed about it, so maybe that will change his attitude to toughen up more, I'd at least believe that would happen to a frustrated back who lost his chance to lead a team at RB to 13-3.

I'm not giving up on Wynn just yet, from what I saw after 7 games in his ROOKIE year, I say this guy has a promising future. We give him another shot and I'm hoping to see he makes a big mark for us next year. Ryan Grant + Wynn = domination!

I'll be honest. I never really liked Wynn to begin with, but I felt that the other backs we have performed better than Wynn. Now how much of that was as a result of Injury? That I can't say. But only one back can carry the rock at a time, and I don't think anyone wants to get rid of Ryan Grant anytime soon.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
Yared-Yam said:
packedhouse01 said:
Wynn is soft. He's always been soft. He's talented as all get out, but he's soft. He won't make the cut next year unless he toughens up and I don't see that happening.

I agree with this

I'm saying, give him another year of OTA's, training camp, and pre-season, evaluate him, and he's toughened up, keep him.

No, players only get 1 year(not even a full one) and you judge them off that. Apparently.

That was the MS era Trom this is tha TT era, all players drafted by TT should get every chance in the world!!!! :D :D :D

Another joke you will get pissed at....by the way I agree with you, some guys take longer than others to develope, Wynn could be one of those guys, and TT has proven he wants the guys he drafts to become contributors to the team.
Wynn will be on the team next year, but he will probably be under the microscope without a whole lot of leeway.

Packers draft Mike Hart in the 3rd rnd not believing he is still available!!! Mark it down.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not forgetting Wynn. By all accounts, he changed his attitude when he arrived in Green Bay, and the coaches were very impressed with his hard work and commitment. Unfortunately, his body was not up to those high standards, so he was constantly getting injured. If he continues to work out and toughen himself up, he has potential to be a real force in the NFL. He has a lot of natural talent. I think he may have been considered to be the best RB coming out of high school at one time--or one of the best anyway. And last year he showed flashes of that talent in games that mattered. Let's see what happens in training camp this summer.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still holding out for Jonathan Stewart from the Ducks of Oregon to be drafted. Having watched him for a few years, I think he'll be a beast.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts - we don't need an RB in the draft. I really hope we don't draft an RB because we could use our picks on more important matters.

Wynn has the God given ability. I think that sitting for a year in IR will make him realize he better shape up and get with the program. People mature. People grow up. his problem was his attitude and work ethic (or lack thereof). I think sitting in IR for a year will force him go grow up because he'll realize he'll be out of work. Or at least I hope so.

Wynn compliments Grant well. Wynn is the guy who will take us from being really bad at 4th and 1 and 3rd and 1 and help us be really good at those short situations. Wynn punishes. He is a bruising back. He is what we need.

We all know how good Grant is. Brandon Jackson has stepped up big time. Herron is a serviceable back. Herron can block and catch and would be a good 3rd down back.

So, we're complete at RB. We have our primary - Grant, our secondary in Jackson, our bruiser in Wynn, our 3rd down back in Herron and I say we keep Morency in case of injuries. Mo can back up Jackson and Herron.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wynn is good on the field, but the obvious problem was staying on the field. MM has stated several times that accountability and availability are key factors for the players on this team. Wynn has a lot to prove in the availability category before he can make the final roster.

That being said, he has plenty of talent/potential that he should be given the chance to make the team. I'm sure that's why he was put on IR last season.

It'll be an interesting race at RB this offseason and I think we've got a lot of talent on the roster. But that doesn't mean that TT should avoid drafting a RB IMO. I think TT should continue to take the BPA, which will improve this team. I disagreed with drafting Harrell last year because we had plenty of DT depth, but he was the BPA. He became a major need at the end of the season and provides us a valuable backup if we trade Williams or Pickett gets injured. Drafting for need leads to Sherman type drafts where positions are targetted ahead of players, which in turn creates major depth issues. Drafting BPA creates a talented, young group of players who have to fight hard to earn a backup spot on this team.

GO PACK GO!!!

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think the only RB we NEED to get rid of is Morency. That dude pissed me off 75% of the times he touched the ball. Then on a little side note.... who the hell are these guys???

7 Dalton Bell QB 6-2 210 24 1 West Texas A&M FA-07
8 Jerry Babb QB 6-2 225 24 1 Louisiana-Lafayette FA-07

Get rid of them!! That's two more open spots. YEEHAW!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think the only RB we NEED to get rid of is Morency. That dude pissed me off 75% of the times he touched the ball. Then on a little side note.... who the hell are these guys???

7 Dalton Bell QB 6-2 210 24 1 West Texas A&M FA-07
8 Jerry Babb QB 6-2 225 24 1 Louisiana-Lafayette FA-07

Get rid of them!! That's two more open spots. YEEHAW!

They're competing for the 3rd slot if Nall leaves. Both are very long shots at making the team.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
For whatever unknown reason it was last off season I had high hopes for this guy, Wynn. I still do.

From what I've heard Wynn wasn't happy about being put on IR and felt he could come back before the post season. Supposedly he's using that as motivation to be more "durable".

We'll see. I hope he is the thunder to Grant's "lightning" so to speak.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For whatever unknown reason it was last off season I had high hopes for this guy, Wynn. I still do.

From what I've heard Wynn wasn't happy about being put on IR and felt he could come back before the post season. Supposedly he's using that as motivation to be more "durable".

We'll see. I hope he is the thunder to Grant's "lightning" so to speak.

I used to coach kids for both baseball and football. Wynn reminds me of one of those kids who had natural talent, but he's staring off somewhere else or goofing off. If coaches can hone in his talents, we'd have ourselves a very good "bruiser" back. If he's too much for our coaches, then dump him.

I'm really hoping it's the former and not the latter.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read something on pro football weekly about him. Seems like he's really working hard and Rock (weight room trainer) is excited about working with him. Maybe I'll be wrong. This is the first encouraging news about Wynn from a work standpoint.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read something on pro football weekly about him. Seems like he's really working hard and Rock (weight room trainer) is excited about working with him. Maybe I'll be wrong. This is the first encouraging news about Wynn from a work standpoint.

People grow up. I can't speak for you, but I remember what I was like when I was his age. Putting him on the IR for the season was probably the best thing that ever happened to him. A good dose of reality is sometimes what the Doctor ordered.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been talking with Pete Dougherty and we've been going back and forth on Wynn.

I couldn't disagree more with Pete, and I can't wait for him to be wrong so I can rub it in his face.

Yeah, I get into it with Packers beat writers, wanna fight about it?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I've been talking with Pete Dougherty and we've been going back and forth on Wynn.

I couldn't disagree more with Pete, and I can't wait for him to be wrong so I can rub it in his face.

Yeah, I get into it with Packers beat writers, wanna fight about it?

Not really, but I do think its cool how a lot of writers communicate with their readers. I haven't had an email sent to a writer that wasn't return politely and with answers.

edit, You guys remember this? lol

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ripping the guy because hes soft? Not Tough enough? The guy made it to the nfl, and did well. He is pissed that hes injured. He doesn't wanna be on the bench. The only thing he needs to do is stay healthy and be productive. Injuries suck, and are hard to prevent when your just out of luck. Trust me.

Reaction score

Ah, you beat me to posting that tidbit porky.

If anyone is interested in what PFW wrote, here is the bit about McCarthy on Wynn:

McCarthy told PFW that 2007 seventh-round rookie RB DeShawn Wynn, who spent the second half of the ’07 season on injured reserve, has been raising eyebrows with his rehab efforts at team headquarters. “(Strength and conditioning coordinator) Rock Gullickson is really fired up about DeShawn,” McCarthy said. “We think he still could have a very promising career.”

Courtesy Pro Football Weekly