Donald Driver says he’ll take a pay cut to stay in Green Bay

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Packers receiver Donald Driver is 37 years old and coming off his least productive season in a decade, and he realizes that in the business of the NFL, that means the Packers may have a tough choice to make about his future. But Driver is willing to make things easier on the team by taking…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This shouldnt be in "other teams discussion!"

DD needs to stay a Packer!!! I am telling you he will be back next season....get ring number 2!!!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The organization knows what I've done on and off the field, and they want to keep me around as long as possible," Driver told WISN-TV at a Boy Scouts Leadership Breakfast on Friday. "If that means sitting down and taking pay cuts to stay around, then you take pay cuts to stay around. I've always said it's not about the money for me anymore.
"What I'm pushing for is for my legacy to stay around in the state of Wisconsin and around the world forever. So the money's not a big issue."

In your face Brett Favre and all other greedy prima donnas of the NFL.
This guy has more class in his pinky fingernail than tons of other players and knows the true definition of team loyalty.
He just went up a few notches in my book and as long as he stays true to this he will be my most favorite player on the same level as Aaron Rodgers.

Chillarfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? Still mentioning Favre? I respect that you do not like him and you have every right to, but the bashing Favre thing is getting old.

Back on to topic. Driver always has been a classy guy. So this is no shock. I can't see Driver in any other uniform, but a Packers one.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'm sure the FO would be willing to be reasonable. I wouldn't be against letting him go or keeping him. He's still productive and his hands are consistent even though he's definitely lost a step or two over the years, but yeah if he's willing to be reasonable and a team player, why not?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously? Still mentioning Favre? I respect that you do not like him and you have every right to, but the bashing Favre thing is getting old.

Back on to topic. Driver always has been a classy guy. So this is no shock. I can't see Driver in any other uniform, but a Packers one.

Dude your sig is ALL Brett..You dont want to see Brett mentioned, stop posting? lol

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald has always been a favorite player of mine! I think the Packers would be stupid not to sign him again. The man is willing to take a pay cut and has stated on many occasions that he wants to retire a Packer. He has loyalty to his team-mates, staff, and fans. This man NEEDS to stay in the Green and Gold until he decides to quit.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I contend that "bashing Brett" isn't going to get old for a while.

More to the point...this Driver situation is a tough one I have to say. He has been as good to this franchise as a guy could possibly be. He's basically saying he would stick around for the league minumum-ish.

So what's more important...paying dues to a guy like Driver who certainly deserves it? Or cutting him, in the purely "business" interest of allowing young guys like Nelson, Cobb and Gurley to step into the spotlight?

I know Driver is being gracious by saying he'll play for less money...but this really isn't about the money. This is probably the strongest and deepest position on the team. Ted's got a tough decision here...if I were him I think I would have to cut him as much as it pains me to say it. IMO the needs of the team ultimately are superior to wanting to "do the right thing" for one player.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I

I know Driver is being gracious by saying he'll play for less money...but this really isn't about the money. This is probably the strongest and deepest position on the team. Ted's got a tough decision here...if I were him I think I would have to cut him as much as it pains me to say it. IMO the needs of the team ultimately are superior to wanting to "do the right thing" for one player.

Maybe Greg and others go back to Ted like they did for Jones?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not a good move for the team

1. He isnt worth a mil a year
2. We went out of our way to keep 2 young up and coming WRs on the practice squad. Neither will make the roster if we have Driver on it.
3. The 5th WR should be playing alot of STs. Driver isnt suited to play STs unless its on the hands team for onside kicks.
4. We have veteran leadership in the lockerroom so no reason to keep him for that.
5. The only reason people seem to what him on the team is for what he has already done, not what he can do in the future and thats just backwards thinking.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

2. We went out of our way to keep 2 young up and coming WRs on the practice squad. Neither will make the roster if we have Driver on it.
3. The 5th WR should be playing alot of STs. Driver isnt suited to play STs unless its on the hands team for onside kicks.
4. We have veteran leadership in the lockerroom so no reason to keep him for that.
5. The only reason people seem to what him on the team is for what he has already done, not what he can do in the future and thats just backwards thinking.

Agree on all accounts...and all are logical, but for some reason I think he stays..not sure why, just a feeling

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Pains me to say it but I have to agree with you. Wish he wouldn't have to go out this way. Hoped he could have retired as 2time SB winner. I really don't think Clifton is a roster lock next year either.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think he just wants to retire a Packer to be one of those few WR's in today's era that can say they played their entire career with the same team.

I can't see him pulling a Jerry Rice. I love that guy to death too, but I just couldn't imagine it seeing him in a Raiders uniform, and then a Seahawks one. Something was really wrong with those pictures.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Driver issue is a tough one. Do you keep an aging veteran for one more year because of what he has done for the organization while retarding the growth of a young player (Randall Cobb)? I would hope that the answer is no. I love Donald Driver. I love watching him smile that big smile after making a catch. His combination of production and cap number are too much to keep.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pains me to say it but I have to agree with you. Wish he wouldn't have to go out this way. Hoped he could have retired as 2time SB winner. I really don't think Clifton is a roster lock next year either.

He won a SB and went 15-1 this season, he will go out fine. You always remember the great moments not the end of a legacy (unless your elway and they are 1 in the same).

Clifton is as good as gone too.

L

Lunchboxer

I would keep him in a heart beat because he and Rodgers was the only 2 people to give a damn in that playoff game.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would keep him in a heart beat because he and Rodgers was the only 2 people to give a damn in that playoff game.

I don't believe that, Jennings played well for coming off a knee injury, rest had off night. They peaked around the Thanksgiving game (I think that 3 game stretch really hurt them), and they just got progressively worse after that. Sitting Rodgers for the Lions game was dumb IMHO as well.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd actually like to see them keep 6 WRs instead of 5 TEs or 3 FBs like they've done in the past. They've been fortunate that they haven't had many WR injuries. With as many 4-and-5-WR formations that they use, they need all the depth they can get at that position.

I think it also depends on how much $ is leftover after Wells and/or Finley are re-signed. That, and if they have a sign-and-trade with Matt Flynn that they can complete.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd actually like to see them keep 6 WRs instead of 5 TEs or 3 FBs like they've done in the past. They've been fortunate that they haven't had many WR injuries. With as many 4-and-5-WR formations that they use, they need all the depth they can get at that position.

I think it also depends on how much $ is leftover after Wells and/or Finley are re-signed. That, and if they have a sign-and-trade with Matt Flynn that they can complete.

i like this. besides, Driver is still solid and a great leader. In addition it creates more competition in the WR position and competition is always good.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Sorry to say but business decisions are not always fan friendly. Most of us would like him to stay but I personally won't be surprised to see him go even with a pay cut. You all are right about one thing, that man has class.

Members online

Latest posts