1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Donald Driver says he’ll take a pay cut to stay in Green Bay

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Feb 11, 2012.

1. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +53
    Source: ProFootballTalk.com

2. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +653
    This shouldnt be in "other teams discussion!"

DD needs to stay a Packer!!! I am telling you he will be back next season....get ring number 2!!!

3. Chillarfan54

Chillarfan54 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
  4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,799
    "The organization knows what I've done on and off the field, and they want to keep me around as long as possible," Driver told WISN-TV at a Boy Scouts Leadership Breakfast on Friday. "If that means sitting down and taking pay cuts to stay around, then you take pay cuts to stay around. I've always said it's not about the money for me anymore.
    "What I'm pushing for is for my legacy to stay around in the state of Wisconsin and around the world forever. So the money's not a big issue."

In your face Brett Favre and all other greedy prima donnas of the NFL.
    This guy has more class in his pinky fingernail than tons of other players and knows the true definition of team loyalty.
    He just went up a few notches in my book and as long as he stays true to this he will be my most favorite player on the same level as Aaron Rodgers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chillarfan54

Chillarfan54 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Seriously? Still mentioning Favre? I respect that you do not like him and you have every right to, but the bashing Favre thing is getting old.

Back on to topic. Driver always has been a classy guy. So this is no shock. I can't see Driver in any other uniform, but a Packers one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    I'm sure the FO would be willing to be reasonable. I wouldn't be against letting him go or keeping him. He's still productive and his hands are consistent even though he's definitely lost a step or two over the years, but yeah if he's willing to be reasonable and a team player, why not?

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,480
    Dude your sig is ALL Brett..You dont want to see Brett mentioned, stop posting? lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +214
    Donald has always been a favorite player of mine! I think the Packers would be stupid not to sign him again. The man is willing to take a pay cut and has stated on many occasions that he wants to retire a Packer. He has loyalty to his team-mates, staff, and fans. This man NEEDS to stay in the Green and Gold until he decides to quit.

9. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +147
    I contend that "bashing Brett" isn't going to get old for a while.

More to the point...this Driver situation is a tough one I have to say. He has been as good to this franchise as a guy could possibly be. He's basically saying he would stick around for the league minumum-ish.

So what's more important...paying dues to a guy like Driver who certainly deserves it? Or cutting him, in the purely "business" interest of allowing young guys like Nelson, Cobb and Gurley to step into the spotlight?

I know Driver is being gracious by saying he'll play for less money...but this really isn't about the money. This is probably the strongest and deepest position on the team. Ted's got a tough decision here...if I were him I think I would have to cut him as much as it pains me to say it. IMO the needs of the team ultimately are superior to wanting to "do the right thing" for one player.

10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,480

Maybe Greg and others go back to Ted like they did for Jones?

11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Its not a good move for the team

1. He isnt worth a mil a year
    2. We went out of our way to keep 2 young up and coming WRs on the practice squad. Neither will make the roster if we have Driver on it.
    3. The 5th WR should be playing alot of STs. Driver isnt suited to play STs unless its on the hands team for onside kicks.
    4. We have veteran leadership in the lockerroom so no reason to keep him for that.
    5. The only reason people seem to what him on the team is for what he has already done, not what he can do in the future and thats just backwards thinking.

• Like Like x 2
  12. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,480
    Agree on all accounts...and all are logical, but for some reason I think he stays..not sure why, just a feeling

• Like Like x 1
  13. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,630
    Pains me to say it but I have to agree with you. Wish he wouldn't have to go out this way. Hoped he could have retired as 2time SB winner. I really don't think Clifton is a roster lock next year either.

14. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I think he just wants to retire a Packer to be one of those few WR's in today's era that can say they played their entire career with the same team.

I can't see him pulling a Jerry Rice. I love that guy to death too, but I just couldn't imagine it seeing him in a Raiders uniform, and then a Seahawks one. Something was really wrong with those pictures.

15. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +849
    The Driver issue is a tough one. Do you keep an aging veteran for one more year because of what he has done for the organization while retarding the growth of a young player (Randall Cobb)? I would hope that the answer is no. I love Donald Driver. I love watching him smile that big smile after making a catch. His combination of production and cap number are too much to keep.

16. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +849
    Not to mention keeping Driver means no roster spot for everyone's new favorite undrafted free agent: Tori Gurley!

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    He won a SB and went 15-1 this season, he will go out fine. You always remember the great moments not the end of a legacy (unless your elway and they are 1 in the same).

Clifton is as good as gone too.

18. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    I would keep him in a heart beat because he and Rodgers was the only 2 people to give a damn in that playoff game.

• Like Like x 1
  19. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    I don't believe that, Jennings played well for coming off a knee injury, rest had off night. They peaked around the Thanksgiving game (I think that 3 game stretch really hurt them), and they just got progressively worse after that. Sitting Rodgers for the Lions game was dumb IMHO as well.

20. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +490
    Totally agree Jim

21. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    He was already on the highest notch for me :)

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,480
    Sounds lot like Hines Ward situation

23. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I'd actually like to see them keep 6 WRs instead of 5 TEs or 3 FBs like they've done in the past. They've been fortunate that they haven't had many WR injuries. With as many 4-and-5-WR formations that they use, they need all the depth they can get at that position.

I think it also depends on how much $ is leftover after Wells and/or Finley are re-signed. That, and if they have a sign-and-trade with Matt Flynn that they can complete.

24. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +653
    i like this. besides, Driver is still solid and a great leader. In addition it creates more competition in the WR position and competition is always good.

25. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +62
    Sorry to say but business decisions are not always fan friendly. Most of us would like him to stay but I personally won't be surprised to see him go even with a pay cut. You all are right about one thing, that man has class.