Donald Driver says he’ll take a pay cut to stay in Green Bay

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand all the reasons not to keep him. However, I think that one very important aspect about keeping a player like Driver is what he brings to the locker room and the huddle. You can't have enough quality individuals like Jennings and Driver around.

While Green Bay did struggle hanging onto quality rookie receivers, it's not a department of need. Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb already form a great receiving group. None of them are a real threat to leave right now so letting a borderline rookie talent go in order to keep a proven veteran with incredible intangible benefits for the team is worth it IMO.

I think that it will all come down to cap though. If my memory is correct, DD can only knock his salary down to about $1M due to the new CBA. A rookie would be about half that amount so if $500k makes all the difference for TT, he will let Driver down gently.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Donald has always been a favorite player of mine! I think the Packers would be stupid not to sign him again. The man is willing to take a pay cut and has stated on many occasions that he wants to retire a Packer. He has loyalty to his team-mates, staff, and fans. This man NEEDS to stay in the Green and Gold until he decides to quit.

So if he's 45 years old and hasn't decided to quit and he's getting us 10 catches a year, then the Packers NEED to keep him? Sorry, but whether a guy is a favorite player or not, a time comes when the team must look to the future.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very intelligent thing to do on Donald's part. Yes, he wants to play until he's 40 yrs. old but also knows that he's been in decline for the past 4 seasons, it's a young man's game & that Thompson likes to have younger players. I don't think that Driver will be playing in GB this coming season but if he does, it will be his final season. He's been a very good player, especially considering that he was a 7th rounder from Alcorn St. & the fact that he's undersized. He's been the consummate pro & leader but I think it's time to let him go, GB has 2 young wr's on the practice squad that have some upside.

Members online

Latest posts