Does the NFL eject players anymore?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is facetious, of course, but the point is why wasn't Teddy Williams ejected following his obvious intent to hurt Davon House on that punt return? Williams looked back and saw House looking for the ball in the air and he pulled up and launched the top of his helmet right into his face. I haven't seen a more obvious intent to hurt another player since the Suh Stomp. Am I missing something?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'd have to ask the refs and it's just speculation/opinion at this point if it was intentional.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'd have to ask the refs and it's just speculation/opinion at this point if it was intentional.
if that was unintentional it was the most intentional looking unintentional launching with the crown of a helmet into the face mask of another player that I have ever seen in my life.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if that was unintentional it was the most intentional looking unintentional launching with the crown of a helmet into the face mask of another player that I have ever seen in my life.
I'd have to see it again.

I think we are expected to control our selves at every moment and sometimes it's impossible especially in a contact sport such as football. Sometimes things are done out of instinct or reflex.
Maybe you and GPG are right but unless we get word from the player, what do we really have to go on for the definitive answer?
Call me crazy but I'm one of those who likes to get direct answers like 90-100% of the time to know instead of guessing from just watching.
Suh's stomping was obvious intent.
This I'm not so sure about and IMO to prove it is more difficult.

If the NFL makes an issue or a case for it, and they might, I'll stand corrected.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think we are expected to control our selves at every moment and sometimes it's impossible especially in a contact sport such as football. Sometimes things are done out of instinct or reflex.
Maybe you and GPG are right but unless we get word from the player, what do we really have to go on for the definitive answer?
Call me crazy but I'm one of those who likes to get direct answers like 90-100% of the time to know instead of guessing from just watching.

If the NFL makes an issue or a case for it, and they might, I'll stand corrected.
yeah I'm not saying it was 100 percent without a doubt intentional I'm just saying it's certainly looked that way

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I'm not saying it was 100 percent without a doubt intentional I'm just saying it's certainly looked that way
Fair enough.

I'll keep an eye on PFT and nfl.com to see if they have anything on it in the next day or two.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they touch an official, like Luke Kuechly inadvertently did a few weeks ago at Lambeau, they sure will be ejected. But since they can't look inside a player's head to see intent, what happens in the heat of battle on the field is most likely going to be dealt with by assessing penalty and maybe later the league meting out fines.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What? Do you expect Williams to admit to it or something?

When a guy is running along and looks back to see the gunner looking up, then he stops and lowers his helmet and leaves his feet to put the TOP of his helmet into the face like a missile, the intent is clear.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they touch an official, like Luke Kuechly inadvertently did a few weeks ago at Lambeau, they sure will be ejected. But since they can't look inside a player's head to see intent, what happens in the heat of battle on the field is most likely going to be dealt with by assessing penalty and maybe later the league meting out fines.

Then why bother ejecting anyone :rolleyes:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should expect a large fine after the league reviews that play.

Being ejected from last nights game as a bears player would have been a reward and not punishment.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is facetious, of course, but the point is why wasn't Teddy Williams ejected following his obvious intent to hurt Davon House on that punt return? Williams looked back and saw House looking for the ball in the air and he pulled up and launched the top of his helmet right into his face. I haven't seen a more obvious intent to hurt another player since the Suh Stomp. Am I missing something?
Did anyone notice that helmet to helmet that Bears defender put on Lacy near the goal line?The ref was standing right there looking at it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What? Do you expect Williams to admit to it or something?
No. He probably won't admit it but for now all we really have to get 100% confirmation would be his word.

I know this is nowhere near it, but innocent people have been put in jail where no one believes them when they have said they are innocent.

When a guy is running along and looks back to see the gunner looking up, then he stops and lowers his helmet and leaves his feet to put the TOP of his helmet into the face like a missile, the intent is clear.
In the meantime, I'll go along with the officials that something wasn't done wrong and see if the NFL has anything to say about it.

So far, you're the only one who I have seen who raises an issue about this and you may be right or wrong.
Until then, I'm done here with this topic.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK I wasn't aware of that.
Thanx for clearing that up.
Suh's statement was a farce, but it shows that a player's word means about as much as our what fans see with their eyes.

Here is a screen shot of Williams' hit on House:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Williams twisted around in order to hit House. It wasn't a reflex move and seemed to be pointless. He was frustrated ala Charles Martin

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that helmet to helmet that Bears defender put on Lacy near the goal line?The ref was standing right there looking at it.
I believe that only applies while a receiver is in the act of catching the ball.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, you're the only one who I have seen who raises an issue about this and you may be right or wrong.
Until then, I'm done here with this topic.

No, I'm right on this one. He did it intentionally. Look at the screenshot from El Guapo and tell me what he did was "accidental." B.S.! How do you accidentally twist your body and launch yourself crown first into someone's face? You don't.

In the meantime, I'll go along with the officials that something wasn't done wrong and see if the NFL has anything to say about it.

Of course. Far be it from you to admit that you could possibly be wrong about anything. I'm not sure why you think NFL officials don't screw up when it happens so regularly. BTW, if Williams hadn't done anything wrong there wouldn't have been a penalty at all.

Last edited:

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
It was intentional, guys get chippy when they are down that much. I was hoping for an ejection but figure that the refs didn't want the Bears to complain about them.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Karma indeed. My guess is that Williams was just the sacrificial lamb for Trestman to show that he will kick players off of the team.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that only applies while a receiver is in the act of catching the ball.
If that is the case it needs to change,Lacy got concussed before with that and I don't remember if a penalty was called. every player regardless of what position they play needs to be protected against helmet to helmet collisions.

Members online

Latest posts