Do you think we will see Clifton again?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys think we will ever see Clifton again in the starting lineup? Was this the end of an era? No Tauscher or Clifton? seems like they have been around forever.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we see him again. I love Clifton and Tauscher too and I'm honestly not ready for a changing of the guard. But if the next generation must be now, I'm confident these new guys can get the job done. Hopefully they've taken the opportunity to learn from the best.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Clifton will be back for the playoffs. There's a reason they didn't IR him yet, and instead have kept him on for the last several weeks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t know but I hope so. According to McGinn’s mid season report card, Marshall Newhouse leads the team in sacks allowed with four and pressures with 14.5. He’s done OK, particularly for a second-year late 5th rounder. But the offense works best when both OTs can handle their guys consistently one-on-one. If last year’s version of Chad Clifton reappears, believe it or not, the offense becomes even better because the “extra blocker” can challenge the D at the snap instead of double team or chip to help Newhouse.

I’m optimistic about the OT position overall and think they’ll be fine next year without Clifton. The future Newhouse and/or Sherrod could approach or exceed the play of Clifton. But that’s not going to happen this season and the Packers could use the pass blocking “sure thing” at LT Clifton has been for a decade plus.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Bulaga? What's going on with him? I fear OT might be the one weak link in our armor this year. Newhouse and Sherrod are pretty green. I'm not saying they are not good, I'd like to see them get a little more experience before they become full time starters. That's one of the main reason I would love to see Cliffy hang around awhile to coach up these guys. OT is one of the most important positions on the OL, second only to the QB. Protecting a QB like Aaron Rodgers has got to be one of the top priorities on our list.

I maintain my confidence, mainly in TT and MM. If either of these guys had any doubt in any of these players ability to protect Rodgers, I think they would be sitting on the sofa watching the game from home.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
We are going to need Chad. There will be no replacement for his experience and skill when we make our run to repeat. Next year is next year and we'll see if Sherrod is ready to take over. My guess is yes. But right now the sooner we get CC back the better for ARoge's long term health.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What’s going on with Bulaga? He’s been great! The only concern I have with him is durability; if he can stay healthy he’ll be the answer at RT for a very long time (unless they unfortunately have to switch him to LT). He had a very rough rookie season until the end of that season. This year I don’t believe he’s been responsible for a single sack or QB hit. (If I've jinxed him, it's Kittens' fault!:cautious:)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
From November 2nd

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-...rodgers-receivers-on-sports-illustrated-cover
Aaron Rodgers had one more nugget of information in his radio interview, and it's that he expects left tackle Chad Clifton to be back before the end of the season, according to Jason Wilde. “He’s improving. He’s still probably a few weeks away from being ready,” Rodgers is quoted as saying. “I think it’s been a great experience for Marshall to really step up and play well. I think he’s done a really good job for us as you’re looking toward the future with Cliffy being at the end of his career. I don’t know if he’s going to play one more or two more, or be done after this season. I think you’ve got to be encouraged by the way that Marshall’s played." Based upon Rodgers comments, it doesn't appear as if Clifton will play in Sunday's Chargers game.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s going on with Bulaga? He’s been great! The only concern I have with him is durability; if he can stay healthy he’ll be the answer at RT for a very long time (unless they unfortunately have to switch him to LT). He had a very rough rookie season until the end of that season. This year I don’t believe he’s been responsible for a single sack or QB hit. (If I've jinxed him, it's Kittens' fault!:cautious:)

Oh now you stop! I wasn't calling him out like that! I heart Bulaga!!! :) I was just wondering because now this has got me thinking who is going to be our future OTs. We've had Cliffy forever so it seems, but now is it time for Bulaga, Newhouse, and Sherrod? I would take Bulaga over Sherrod right now. Sherrod can do with some more experience even though I think he's going prove a very good draft pick for us.

But back to the original point of the thread. Clifton. I'm NOT ready to see him go! I'd move for him to stay a few more years, he's one of my favorites! The nature of this discussion is going to lead people to think of his replacements, but I am honestly hoping to see him play again.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I hope we see him again. I love Clifton and Tauscher too and I'm honestly not ready for a changing of the guard. But if the next generation must be now, I'm confident these new guys can get the job done. Hopefully they've taken the opportunity to learn from the best.

Kitten, I think you mean a changing of the tackles. :D

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm alone in my 'We are better off with Newhouse' belief. Clifton is better in pass protection, but gave us little to nothing in run blocking. I isolated him in a few games last season and he was abysmal, appearing to not even try. Our run game is significantly better with Newhouse, and Newhouse is getting better at pass protection every week. I say we stick with the kid and by the Superbowl, he will be a decent experienced vet in all phases of the game.