Do we need to lose against Bears?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me a person who thinks it would be good for the Packers to lose any of their games for any reason and I'll show you a Packers bandwagon fan.

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't need to lose to anybody. I divisional loss to either the Bears or Lions would not be a good thing. What they need is the opposite. They need to open up a can of whup *** on both the Bears and the Lions and reestablish their confidence. Beating the Bears isn't going to be much of an issue or at least it shouldn't be, worry more about the Lions who still have a very good Stafford, Megatron and Suh.
Kitten, I have to agree with you all the time... probably because I like your calm approach and analytical assesment to what has happened in the last week... Now do something about the running game!!!

OP
OP
E

Emerald1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO only a person with a low opinion of our team would think they need to have their ‘noses rubbed in it’ again. [/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

Gee, I thought this was a forum where Packers fans could have friendly and open debates about our team. Clearly you seem to believe that opinions that you dont agree with yours should be attacked and belittled. Either you don't understand the principle of my posts or are deliberately trying to misrepresent what I'm saying in an effort to be obtuse. For the record, I abhor seeing Green Bay lose to anyone and don't advocate they should attempt to lose games. You go to great lengths to justify (your opinion) the tactical reasons why we lost to the Chiefs and whilst what you say has merit, I don't believe it tells the whole story. You don't seem to recognise the mental aspect of the game. If the MENTAL state of our team ain't right, then we've serious problems. Our injuries last year were arguably worse than this season, but the team was consistently highly motivated and hungry to win.
Attitude is key to us winning this Superbowl, I believe there is apathy amongst some of the team.If you disagree fine. I respect your opinion. No need to be nasty if you don't mine. After all we are all GB fans here :)

GBMuskies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm apathetic about this thread. I may need to lose to the Bears. That might stir my interest.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Gee, I thought this was a forum where Packers fans could have friendly and open debates about our team. Clearly you seem to believe that opinions that you dont agree with yours should be attacked and belittled.
Emerald1066, you started an answer to my post with this:
if you think GBs lost last week to the Chiefs despite the fact they were playing at their very best, then my friend you have a low opinion of your team.
Notice any similarities between this quote and the part of my post you quoted above? Was it “friendly and open” for you to accuse me of having a low opinion of the team but not friendly and open for me to turn it around on you?

You clearly advocated for the Packers to lose to their arch rivals: “…a loss against the Bears might be the best thing for Green Bay”. You clearly called the Packers apathetic: ““Sunday was not the first time this season I've seen apathy in the squad.” Those are direct quotes from your posts, in what way did I misrepresent them? And of course I recognize the importance of motivation. When you called the Packers apathetic I didn’t say apathy or motivation weren’t important; I asked if you could “give us some examples of the evidence of apathy because I haven't noticed any.” This is a forum where Packers fans can have friendly and open debates about our team. You posted the Packers are apathetic. I asked for evidence – that’s very debate-like, isn’t it? I’m sorry you view a post which turned your own words back towards you and asked for evidence to back up your opinions as an “attack”.

OP
OP
E

Emerald1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Never accused you of anything. Maybe you should read the words again - carefully this time. As for examples of apathy, you see the same games I do, presumably? Apathy is a condition of mind. It causes dropped passes, missed tackles, leaky defense - especially concerning for SB contenders. Sound familiar?
So as I'm clearly wrong in my contentions that this team needs a radical shake-up in attitude, perhaps you might grace us with your solution to our current predicament?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Kitten, I have to agree with you all the time... probably because I like your calm approach and analytical assesment to what has happened in the last week... Now do something about the running game!!!

We had a running game vs Oakland and had the ability to run vs KC, but for what ever reason they stayed away from the run..

Stretch from end of 1st q into 2q, Packers had 10 plays, and not one run...Up to that point Ryan had 4 carries for 16 yards..

Ryan should have had more than 12 carries..

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
All things being equal, I was brought up in a 'traditional" Northeastern Wisconsin, Roman Catholic farm household, the 8th of 9 children (widely believed that you don't HIRE help...you GIVE BIRTH to it) to an old-old-old time Packers fan. Dad was a deacon in the church and I served my first Mass in Latin. My cousin was the Rector (chief priest) at the Cathedral in Green Bay for at time and everyone knows about the close relationship that the Green Bay Diocese has with the Packers .... in short ... I was raised to believe certain dogma ... to hear and learn said teachings and to commit them to my very being. One of those is: THE PACKERS SHOULD NEVER LOSE TO THE BEARS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!

Got it? Now... hear and learn and commit these teachings to your very being.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe you should read the words again - carefully this time.?
Here’s a sampling of responses to your posts on this thread:
No. Seriously, these threads are starting to get dumber and dumber.
9 posters “liked” that post.
It would be so awesome to lose on NBC Sunday Night Football on the only game to be played on Christmas Day. Just awesome. Hopefully Rodgers will have a bad game, too, so that Brees can seal the MVP award the next night.
Just saw this thread. HUHHHH?????????? Really???
Show me a person who thinks it would be good for the Packers to lose any of their games for any reason and I'll show you a Packers bandwagon fan.
The only answer acceptable here is a resounding "NO!"
And perhaps the most appropriately succinct:
speechless. :speechless:
Do all of us need to carefully read your posts on this thread again or is it time to admit it is foolish for a Packers fan to advocate for the Packers to lose at home to (one of) our arch rivals and perhaps miss locking up home field advantage throughout the playoffs? That is a rhetorical question; answer it if you’d like, but I’m done with this thread.

OP
OP
E

Emerald1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much anger -someone needs a hug. Glad you aren't coaching the team because despite being invited to suggest positive initiative for this team your merely obsessed with selective copying and pasting in a pathetic effort to twist my argument. Happy Christmas pal, looks like you need it. ))))

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Dude, you've picked a fight with probably the most even-keeled of all of us here. ThxV is quite respected and I have never seen him act unfairly or rude to anyone - including this thread, quite frankly.

You've simply started a thread that has been regurgitated since we all recognized that a perfect season was a possibility and folks are just fed up with it.

It's a good forum. There's a few regulars who will call you a " hater" at the mere mention that the Packers aren't perfect, but that's about it.

Merry Christmas.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only good thing that will come out of a loss to the Bears is that the Lions game that I am going to will have meaning ans starters would play the full 60. But I still would rather win. If we lose to McCown and the Bears we are in serious trouble.

OP
OP
E

Emerald1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there, ye have it. I posed the question Dec 21 did we need to lose our next game (which happened to be our bete noir, The Bears) and was roundly attacked by some very myopic posters here. I detected a serious mental problem with this team but the revered ThxJackVainisi tried to excuse poor play with technical excuses. That's right Technical excuses and the sheep all bleated in support. So ThxJackVainisi, care to explain why our whole team decided to go for the most drops record in a single game? Did they look hungry? Did the Giants look hungry? Were we switched on like last post season?
Love to hear your lame excuses for this.
We were damn APATHETIC!! throughout the team and you know it! Talentwise, I believe we have the greatest team in the NFL and that's what makes me so bloody MAD!! These guys take home millions of dollars to catch footballs with non-slip gloves Goddamit!
In addition, Three games in we knew there was a serious problem with our DL. Dom Capers is paid a fortune to make our DL the best in the league. Did it improve? Yeah to 32nd from 5th last season. I'd like to hear what changes McCarthy is going to make because like the Concordia, this ship is only going one way, and it's not up.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Why would any reasonable, knowledgeable fan believe losing a football game improves a team? Or in this case, losing two in a row? Why would any reasonable, knowledgeable fan decry "a serious problem with our DL" identified three games into the season and rank the teams' defense 32nd (it was 19th in the most important stat, not 32nd) in the same post he calls the 2011 Packers the greatest team - most talented - in the NFL? The answer of course is a reasonable, knowledgeable fan wouldn't. And speaking of the DL, did you see an infusion of talent for Capers to work with after week three? Or were they already the most talented DL in the league?

The Packers aren't the most talented team in the league IMO. They have the best - or one of the two or three best - QBs in the league and they have the best overall receiving corp. They don't have the most talented OL, they don't have the most talented RBs, they don't have the most talented TEs, DL, LBs or secondary IMO. But even their most talented unit, the passing game, had an off day. Way too many passes were dropped but even so, even Rodgers wasn't as sharp as he had been for most of the regular season.

Look, "crap" happens. The 1962 Packers (the greatest team in team history IMO) got utterly embarrassed Thanksgiving day at Detroit. You must think that was because they were apathetic, if so, was Lombardi to blame? IMO that's nonsense, just like your idea it would have been good for the Packers to lose to the Bears. The logical conclusion to that kind of thinking is it would have been fantastic if they'd have finished the season with a three-game losing streak.

If you think Rodgers had an off day because he was apathetic, indifferent, and/or uninterested; and if you think losing streaks are good for team morale, I don't think you know much about football or human nature.

However on a lighter note, that's the first time I've seen "revered" used in a derogatory manner (BTW, I'm not "revered"), so kudos for that!

OP
OP
E

Emerald1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like pushing water up a hill here. Have you at any point tried to understand why I suggested (suggested not recommended) that it may not be the worst thing for us to lose against the Bears? Seriously? Can your "Knowledgeable Fan" mind not actually figure-out the merit of what I was saying? "We just need a massive Kick up the ****"

Unbelievable that someone excuses mass fumbles, dropsies in a team by saying "CRAP HAPPENS" - Maybe you need to ask why "Crap Happens"?

Crap doesn't happen to a team that are consistently well-coached
Crap doesn't happen to teams that habitually examine weaknesses and make amends to improve their play.
Crap doesn't happen to switched on, mentally strong teams
Crap doesn't happen to focused teams that are hungry to win

The dogs in the street knew our defense was rubbish three games in. Granted, we had devastating injuries, but tell me how did Capers change the play patterns to improve things? What was done differently to reduce the yardage given away? (Not important to you I know, but it's an indicator of our defense quality)

Crap happens to teams that are apathetic because they believe the hype surrounding them.
Crap happens to teams whose defense constantly lets them down to a point where the the OL can't carry them anymore
Crap happens to teams where certain members are dragging and can't be arsed to sort themselves out
Crap happens to teams that lose sight of the endgame and get caught up with baubles such as the Perfect Season
Crap happens to teams when they lose sight of the work they need to do, to win the Superbowl.

Had the Packers lost to the Bears, they MIGHT just have woken up to reality and seen there really was a problem. The Chiefs loss wasn't just a blip as many "Knowledgeable Fans" liked to pretend it was It might just have been enough to stall the complacency/apathy that had set in.

The difference between the 10/11 and the 11/12 Packers was nothing to do with our losses in personnel and everything to do with the mental attitude of the team.

Anyone who doesn't believe what's happened to the Packers is a Mental Problem, learned nothing from the game or the indeed the season. I just hope the coaching staff are a little more enlightened, or prepare for more of the same in September.

Finally, and I promise this is my last word on the subject. I'd rather the Packers had lost against the Bears AND the Lions had we just won Sunday and against the 49ers this weekend and the Patriots in Indy:)))), but hey, what do I know?, I'm just an unRevered, unKnowledgeable, obsessed, shell-shocked, Green Bay Packers Fan - And Bloody Proud of It!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So much anger, it looks like you need a hug. I'm just going to make a few points and then I'm done with this foolish thread:

- I'm not excusing anything.

- Apathy is not the only mental problem that can affect players and/or a team. IMO that was a particularly foolish word for you to use.

- Of course all Packers fans would have preferred they lost games during the regular season if it meant winning another title. What you seem unable to grasp is losing games was no guarantee of anything. Do you think by losing the Bears game the Packers' pass rush would have automatically improved? Would that have guaranteed Rodgers would have been at his pin-point-accuracy best in the playoffs?

- Look back at this entire thread: Was there a single poster chiming in, to agree with you? (That was the point of one of my previous posts you thought was "angry".) Why do you suppose that was?

Members online

Latest posts