Divisional Round: Rams at Packers on the frozen tundra (Sat, 1/16 @4:35pm)

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are rested and ready. The Rams are somewhat dinged up. Hopefully they will come out guns blazing and the defence will hold.

in early 2011 the Packers were on their way to a championship. To me this year feels similar, and the team seems stronger than that one. What better way to celebrate the 10th anniversary than another Lombardi Trophy.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish this were a night game at Lambeau, with cold air and maybe a little snow/sleet mixed in for our guests from Southern California. I can definitely live with a 3:30 (or 15:30 as we used to say in the service) kickoff however - the second half will be nice and chilly I imagine.

Get ahead early and force Goff to play catch-up all game long.

Go Pack Go!

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Packers are signing OT Jared Veldheer per @mattschneidman. He started at RT for Green Bay in the Divisional Round last season. Also started at LT for the Colts on Saturday. Some help for the OL against a stout Rams DL.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our guys will be amped up. Largest crowd of the season.. At home..well rested.
I think I would start no huddle..try to wear em down early with quick hitters. Then put Veldheer in as 6th olineman and pound Dillon at Donald later on.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think our guys will be amped up. Largest crowd of the season.. At home..well rested.
I think I would start no huddle..try to wear em down early with quick hitters. Then put Veldheer in as 6th olineman and pound Dillon at Donald later on.
No huddle is something I would love to see the Packers do a little more often situationally. Unfortunately we haven’t really seen that except for in very few late game situations.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers are signing OT Jared Veldheer per @mattschneidman. He started at RT for Green Bay in the Divisional Round last season. Also started at LT for the Colts on Saturday. Some help for the OL against a stout Rams DL.

Nice pickup for the Super Bowl stretch run!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To be in the position that the Packers are right now, with Bakh being hurt, and to be able to pick up a guy who: 1) knows the offense because he played in it last year, and 2) is in shape because he was starting a game two days ago... that's some kinda nice.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we get a lead; I hope Pettine does not make it easy for the Rams to move the ball downfield. Keep the pressure on. Don't give up the momentum.

D

Deleted member 6794

Was TB the best D we've faced this season?

Actually, based on points allowed the Saints ended up being the toughest defense the Packers faced all season. They weren't performing up to potential early in the season though.

The Rams will be an evven tougher opponent as they featured the best scoring defense in the regular season.

Yes Ramsey should cancel out Adams, but Lazard and Tonyan have shown that they can carry the passing game in the past.

If the Rams are able to take Adams out of the game the Packers offense could be in huge trouble.

MvS pace could tie up Ramey and open up space for Adams.

Ramsey will definitely cover Adams all game long.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-divisional-round-best-way-to-exploit-each-offense

How to exploit the Packers: Make Aaron Rodgers drop back 50 times.
Led by the MVP candidate, the Packers' offense has been able to pick and choose how to attack any opponent over the second half of the season. The team suffered a major blow when Pro Bowl left tackle David Bakhtiari was lost to a season-ending injury ahead of the regular-season finale. His injury leaves a massive void along the offensive line that could potentially be filled by newly signed Jared Veldheer, but the unit no doubt won't be as strong without Rodgers' consistent blindside blocker. The best way to limit the Packers is to win at the line of scrimmage, stop the run and constantly pressure Rodgers.

The Buccaneers, one of just three teams to get the best of Green Bay this season, stymied the Packers' offense in Week 6 by pressuring Rodgers. They hit him 13 times (tied for the second most in Rodgers' career), sacked him four times and forced two turnovers, including a pick-six, and limited the passer to just 160 passing yards, a 45.7 completion percentage and zero TDs. The Rams' defense must follow this blueprint and get to the quarterback. Believe it or not, the Packers are much more beatable with Rodgers dropping back 50 times than they are when Aaron Jones is running free to set up big plays in play-action. Plus, Matt LaFleur doesn't have a lot of great dropback concepts, as his big plays are predicated off play-action schemes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-divisional-round-best-way-to-exploit-each-offense

How to exploit the Packers: Make Aaron Rodgers drop back 50 times.
Led by the MVP candidate, the Packers' offense has been able to pick and choose how to attack any opponent over the second half of the season. The team suffered a major blow when Pro Bowl left tackle David Bakhtiari was lost to a season-ending injury ahead of the regular-season finale. His injury leaves a massive void along the offensive line that could potentially be filled by newly signed Jared Veldheer, but the unit no doubt won't be as strong without Rodgers' consistent blindside blocker. The best way to limit the Packers is to win at the line of scrimmage, stop the run and constantly pressure Rodgers.

The Buccaneers, one of just three teams to get the best of Green Bay this season, stymied the Packers' offense in Week 6 by pressuring Rodgers. They hit him 13 times (tied for the second most in Rodgers' career), sacked him four times and forced two turnovers, including a pick-six, and limited the passer to just 160 passing yards, a 45.7 completion percentage and zero TDs. The Rams' defense must follow this blueprint and get to the quarterback. Believe it or not, the Packers are much more beatable with Rodgers dropping back 50 times than they are when Aaron Jones is running free to set up big plays in play-action. Plus, Matt LaFleur doesn't have a lot of great dropback concepts, as his big plays are predicated off play-action schemes.

Jeeesh.....Has anyone ever called you Benedict? :sick:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So win at the line of scrimmage and pressure Rodgers an insane amount.....

......crap I'm not comfortable with MLF having to scheme against a team trying to do that....he's only had like 35 or so games taking that on.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luckily there are only a few teams that have the horses to pressure Rodgers, stop the run, and adequately cover the short game to take away the quick passes - all at the same time. The Packers offense is more than a one trick pony but like any sport, the team that plays its best games in the playoffs will win.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’re remarkably healthy and have better overall talent, especially at the QB position. If the team is focused and the coaches manage the game, I expect a blowout in the 35-17 range.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Mark Murphy says there will be between 8,000 and 9,000 fans in attendance for this game, according to Matt Schneidman.

Paddypacker12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what effect the weather would have on metal pins I'll in your hand. I know anybody that has a hip replacement says cold weather plays havoc with it, would it be the same effect?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what effect the weather would have on metal pins I'll in your hand. I know anybody that has a hip replacement says cold weather plays havoc with it, would it be the same effect?

Good news is Goff has no clue how it is gonna feel either :D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I am just so looking forward to this Davante Adams/Jalen Ramsey chess match. Not only just their individual matchup, but schematically with LaFleur and Staley (Rams defensive coordinator).

Davante mentioned in his presser that he isn't sure how much, if any, Ramsey will follow him to the slot. There's no question that Ramsey is more than capable from the slot (according to PFF, Ramsey allowed just 6 receptions, 40 yards, 0 TDs on 12 targets), but he only lined up there on roughly 16% of his snaps this season according to next gen stats. Of course, I would imagine a lot of that is due to the most potent offensive weapons lining up outside throughout the season.

I got a little curious and tried to find a Rams opponent which had offensive success against them, and an opponent which presents a dominant #1 receiver. So I watched their week 3 matchup against the Bills. Besides maybe a couple of plays I could have missed, Ramsey never followed Diggs to the slot. Diggs played a little slot in the first half, but mostly lined up outside and from what I could tell, Ramsey didn't always follow or shadow him, but lined up across from him a lot.

But Diggs played a ton of slot in the 2nd half, I'm assuming to get away from Ramsey. Perhaps this got the Rams to thinking a little bit because the next week against the Giants, Ramsey played 44 of 66 snaps in the slot. What's interesting is, despite ~67% of snaps played in the slot against the Giants, Ramsey only lined up there 16% on the season. My theory is the Rams at least wanted it on tape so teams would know that it's more than a possibility and to prepare for it. Of course, I haven't watched every Rams game so I'm not sure how they have attacked is situationally.

Rodgers mentioned that the Rams have been played a lot of 2 shell lately, so he's not sure how much "mano-a-mano" they would actually see. I think you can throw what they've been doing out the window though in a matchup like this.

One thing is for sure. Adams isn't going to back down from the challenge and I think he feels he can get the best of Ramsey. But Ramsey will definitely have his moments, and the Packers will definitely look to move him all over the field.

I'd be shocked if the Packers on the first possession don't either line Adams up in the slot immediately to see if Ramsey will line up across from him, or line Adams up outside and motion him to the slot to see if Ramsey follows him.

I think both teams are going to mix it up quite a bit throughout the game.

The more I think about this matchup, the more confident I'm starting to feel.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you're obviously a thinking man. I am not sure that LeFluer and staff are going to go to that level, but who knows!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI - for anyone that wants to re-watch the 2018 Packers vs Rams game, it will be replayed on NFL Network this Thursday night at 11pmCT. For those of you on the east coast, that's a Friday morning 12am start!

Members online

Latest posts