Disappointed in league for overturning Suh suspension

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, Packer fans. It's been ages since I posted here. I wanted to touch base over the outrageous dirty play by Ndamukong Suh when he deliberately attempted to injure Aaron Rodgers. I had some hope for the league when it suspended him, but was both disappointed and disgusted when he won his appeal. I've seen the footage, though I did not see the whole game. One would have to be brain dead to not see that it was a deliberate attempt to injure. I can't believe the arbitrator fell for the absurd excuse that Suh's feet were too cold to be able to feel that he was stepping on another player. Maybe I'll use that excuse if I get pulled over for speeding. "Uh, officer, my feet were too cold. I couldn't feel them on the accelerator." I didn't see the game, but if I understand right, Suh was not kicked out of the game. He should have been. He has a history of dirty play. I remember a previous game against the Packers when he was deliberately kicking a Packers player. Then his so-called "apology" was a joke. He claimed he was just trying to break free. Another absurd thing about the arbitration was the league told him he was not to consider prior incidents. What???? A history of this kind of behavior is highly relevant. It's one thing if an otherwise decent player loses his head one time and does something stupid and then is remorseful. This guy has committed repeated offenses with no remorse.

I'm not just a Cowboy fan. I'm a Nebraska Cornhusker fan also. I used to love Suh when he played for Big Red, but now I'm completely disgusted by him. He's disgraced his home state. I think he should have been suspended for the rest of the playoffs and the first four games of next season. Then when he returned, he should have been told that any other deliberate attempt to injure would mean he's kicked out of the league for good. I would be for this even if the Cowboys weren't playing the Lions in the upcoming playoff game. The dude is bad news, a disgrace to the sport.

I believe my Cowboys will beat the Lions and send them home where they belong. The Lions have another dirty player in Golden Tate, but that's another story.

In any event, good luck to your team in the playoffs, unless, of course, you play the Cowboys, in which case I'll be rooting for my Cowboys to win. I'm still grateful to the Packers for beating the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys and the Packers are the only two teams that have done that. Any Steelers Super Bowl loss is a beautiful thing.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the league was trying to send a message to Donkeykong that they thought he might finally get but now Ted Cottrell has undermined that and become an enabler. However, the Lyins' now can't use the pig-caller Suh-ee's absence as an excuse when they lose this weekend.

Suh has disgraced himself, his team and his profession more openly in this incident than ever before. And he will pay in other ways. Good luck to him in landing that big free agent contract with his reputation. I imagine he can't feel too safe out there on the field with other players maybe deciding to deal with him in their own way.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Suh has disgraced himself, his team and his profession more openly in this incident than ever before. And he will pay in other ways. Good luck to him in landing that big free agent contract with his reputation. I imagine he can't feel too safe out there on the field with other players maybe deciding to deal with him in their own way.

I don’t think he disgraced himself more than ever before because it wasn’t as blatantly obvious as most of his other temper tantrums – the stomp of EDS, kicking a QB in the nuts, and slamming an OL's head into the ground several times, for example.

I believe this is his eighth fine for this kind of behavior (and of course he came into the league in 2010). Two and half seasons into his NFL career he was voted the dirtiest player in the league in a Sporting News poll by those who would know best – other NFL players. That’s what made the one-game suspension ridiculous and his winning the appeal even more so. Perhaps the only thing that has a chance of getting through his thick skull is multiple game suspensions. He’s already been suspended for two games, IMO this one should have cost him 4 games. And he should have been warned the next one will be 8, then a full season and then lifetime ban. Perhaps losing one-quarter of his annual compensation would wake him the hell up. (BTW, I think all NFL fines should be based upon game checks, whether or not the player is actually suspended. The impact of a $70,000 fine on a player making $500K a season is obviously different than it would be on one making $5M. If the NFL wanted to be even more precise, they could use a percentage of the player’s cap hit since that would incorporate signing bonuses.)

But let’s not fool ourselves, unfortunately Suh will get a huge FA contract because of his talent and unfortunately talent wins over character in the NFL. Even a few Packers fans would probably drool over having him line up for Green Bay, even after last Sunday.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
It's yet another reason to continue to show the Lions year after year that they will continue to be dominated by a real football team in the NFC North.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypocrisy is spelled 'NFL'. It's like Jack said; Suh will be just fine, and he'll break the bank. The NFL, like government or anyone else for that matter, says all the 'right' things not because they believe it or care, but to cover their *****.
Suh will end up crippling someone. Then you'll have the obligatory moral pronouncements from on high followed by some rule changes and new fine and suspension structures.
But nothing will be allowed to get in the way of the only thing that matters; maximum profit.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"But let’s not fool ourselves, unfortunately Suh will get a huge FA contract because of his talent and unfortunately talent wins over character in the NFL. Even a few Packers fans would probably drool over having him line up for Green Bay, even after last Sunday."

Indeed.

I fear that Suh is viewed the same way Richard Sherman has been: as ratings. Now mind you, Richard Sherman is absolutely NOT a dirty player the way Suh is, but the more he shoots his mouth the more attention he attracts; and in similar fashion, people will tune in just to see if Suh will stomp somebody else. If he ended up seriously injuring or crippling a player, he'd probably be one of biggest ratings draws in the whole NFL.

It is what it is.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There very well will be someone, including the Lions, who do give Suh a big free agent deal. But I think it will still be less than he might have commanded if he had some moral character to himself.

Clubs with any real status or integrity would think twice about hiring a guy who will only make your team look repulsive, cost you games with bonehead penalties or maybe be unavailable due to frequent and lengthy suspensions that will be coming his way from now on.

Beating the league discipline on appeal is going to make the commissioner's office more determined than ever to drop the hammer on him whenever he gives any cause again. The numbness in Donkeykong Sewer isn't in his feet; it's between his ears.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Beating the league discipline on appeal is going to make the commissioner's office more determined than ever to drop the hammer on him whenever he gives any cause again.

I disagree. The history is already there. The NFL does nothing that is not in its best interest. Regardless of what is right or wrong.

Sky King

Reaction score
I disagree. The history is already there. The NFL does nothing that is not in its best interest. Regardless of what is right or wrong.
Sad but true. They elevated Ray Lewis into one of the most prominent faces in the NFL -- after he was the only person to have been convicted in a murder case. But, boy, he sure could tackle.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sky King

Reaction score

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The suit Lewis was wearing somehow disappeared. Blood in his car. Admitted to giving false testimonies. He was- at the very least- guilty of much more than you'd think based on how fast he was back in pads and where he is now. Guilty or not, not a good guy to be a face of the NFL. But yeah... he was a great tackler and gave good pre-games.

OP
OP
Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you guys are onto something that it's about ratings. The upcoming Cowboys/Lions matchup features one of the best O-lines in the NFL (maybe the best) against one of the best run defenses, including one of the best D-linemen in football in Suh. They didn't want to lose out on that. Without Suh in the game, it's probably a boring blowout, sending the Lions home whining, "We didn't have our best guy."

The NFL makes certain to penalize guys for taking off their helmets or not pulling up their socks, but gives slaps on the wrist to a player who deliberately attempts to injure someone. It's pathetic.

In any event, I hope my team sends these bums home. Golden Tate is another dirty player. When he was with the Seahawks, he delivered a helmet-to-chin hit on Sean Lee when he was a defenseless player. The refs (the awful replacement ones) missed it.

These minor fines aren't going to discourage this kind of crap. 70K to Suh is probably about like 40 bucks to most of us.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam Schefter said on ESPN yesterday that the Lions brass called the NFL and said - among other things - that they would be doing irreparable harm to the Lions playoff chances if Suh's suspension was upheld. The NFL agreed. The problem is that Suh inflicted irreparable harm on the Lions playoff chances. The NFL has now artificially affected the outcome of the Lions/Cowboys game by changing a decision that everyone outside of the state of Michigan knew to be justified.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps, in view of this and so many other on and off field incidents the league has been dealing with this year, the old policy of Vince Lombardi is worth highlighting. "Wherever you go, whatever you do or say reflects on yourself, your team and the league. You will look like, act like, talk like the most distinquished professional in your community."

That should be posted in every lockerroom and should be agreed upon policy by both the league and the players' union. It should be stressed to these young men, many of whom come from some shady backgrounds to begin with. If it was and the discipline for violating it certain and consistent it might go a long way toward doing away with the scandals that have been plaguing the league.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Adam Schefter said on ESPN yesterday that the Lions brass called the NFL and said - among other things - that they would be doing irreparable harm to the Lions playoff chances if Suh's suspension was upheld. The NFL agreed. The problem is that Suh inflicted irreparable harm on the Lions playoff chances. The NFL has now artificially affected the outcome of the Lions/Cowboys game by changing a decision that everyone outside of the state of Michigan knew to be justified.
If that's true, why stop there? Nick Fariley just returned to practice yesterday - maybe the game should be delayed a week or two so he can completely heal - you know, so as not to irreparably harm their playoff chances. And of course had suh severely injured Rodgers, that wouldn't have irreparably harmed the Packers chances... :rolleyes:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The league is a joke. Decisions are based on money. Period. I try not to think about it when I watch games.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's because the player's union got the stupid rule about going 32 games without a problem and resetting the player's record. Arbitrator had to treat Suh like this was a first time offense and, had he been a model player for five years, then I can understand not suspending the guy. I think it's ridiculous to have to ignore a guy's history but hey, you gotta hand it to the player's union, they won on that point.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are shocked that the league is all about money? PEOPLE...,,ITS A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE....ITS A BUSINESS!!!

Businesses can survive everything and anything EXCEPT one thing.....making money. If they stop making money they go OUT of business (unless they're a major bank).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Suspending suh for multiple games would do the league more good than harm IMO. Suspending players for bad behavior is good PR. Detroit losing to Dallas would hardly be a surprise whether or not suh plays. In any event, consider the gross annual revenue of the NFL, including playoffs. Then consider the suspension of suh for one playoff game in relation to that. I didn't know about the NFLPA getting the "reset" rule enacted but that's more likely the cause of granting the appeal. Don't get me wrong, of course the NFL is about making money (as it should be BTW), but I wouldn't put it at the heart of this decision.

OP
OP
Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's because the player's union got the stupid rule about going 32 games without a problem and resetting the player's record. Arbitrator had to treat Suh like this was a first time offense and, had he been a model player for five years, then I can understand not suspending the guy. I think it's ridiculous to have to ignore a guy's history but hey, you gotta hand it to the player's union, they won on that point.

That was the absurd part. The fact that an offense is repeated is highly relevant. It is in our courts of law. I didn't realize the union had negotiated wiping out offenses after 32 months. It's ridiculous that the league agreed to that. They should point to this example at the next negotiation with the union and work to get rid of that provision.

People are shocked that the league is all about money? PEOPLE...,,ITS A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE....ITS A BUSINESS!!!

Businesses can survive everything and anything EXCEPT one thing.....making money. If they stop making money they go OUT of business (unless they're a major bank).

The league can make money without permitting players to deliberately step on Aaron Rodgers or to attempt to injure a player. If this disgusted enough fans that they stopped going to games and buying merchandise, that would have a negative effect on revenues. Most of the fans place a high value on sportsmanship. A lot of us played the game on some level and learned that. The league is mighty and powerful, but it's not invulnerable. If they keep turning enough fans off, it will hit the NFL's bottom line. They're only thinking in the short term if they think letting Suh play is in the league's best interest.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

Understood. I'm a capitalist. But wow. Just wow. At LEAST once in awhile pretend you know right from wrong. From Ray Rice to yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm done wit' dis' topic. The horse is dead.

Just fake it once in awhile so those of us whose idealism isn't completely dead can feel good about being a fool for your product.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of a person's opinion on the Suh suspension specficially, it has to be looked at contextually - if you are going to suspend Raiola for a game for his Week 16 stomp, how can you NOT suspend Suh for his Week 17 stomp? And with his prior offenses? No brainer.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of a person's opinion on the Suh suspension specficially, it has to be looked at contextually - if you are going to suspend Raiola for a game for his Week 16 stomp, how can you NOT suspend Suh for his Week 17 stomp? And with his prior offenses? No brainer.

LOL that's biased.....the two events were completely different.

They did fine the packer player who slammed Stafford into the turf long after he threw the ball intending to injury him now that was just. I thought he should be suspended though...go look at rodgers first TD throw where the Lions guy had him dead to rights but he pulls up lame and the player just taps him on the shoulder. That's how you should respect the QB position, but this is the NFl and players try to hurt each other every play..Stafford was stepped on my a Packer......one of Our Lineman was stepped on and ended up injured by a Packer player.....the stepping on happens all game every game and most players don't say anything at all.

I think the NFL realized if they start suspending for basically lightly stepping on a player they would be removing a lot of players from the game weekly.

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL that's biased.....the two events were completely different.

They did fine the packer player who slammed Stafford into the turf long after he threw the ball intending to injury him now that was just. I thought he should be suspended though...go look at rodgers first TD throw where the Lions guy had him dead to rights but he pulls up lame and the player just taps him on the shoulder. That's how you should respect the QB position, but this is the NFl and players try to hurt each other every play..Stafford was stepped on my a Packer......one of Our Lineman was stepped on and ended up injured by a Packer player.....the stepping on happens all game every game and most players don't say anything at all.

I think the NFL realized if they start suspending for basically lightly stepping on a player they would be removing a lot of players from the game weekly.

[SARCASM]It's always nice having an objective fan of another team on the forum.[/SARCASM]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts