Disagreement in organization about Will Fuller

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade was never going to happen apparently:

The Green Bay Packers and Houston Texans were at least two rounds off in terms of draft pick compensation during trade talks involving wide receiver Will Fuller.

According to Aaron Reiss of The Athletic, the Texans wanted a second-round pick for Fuller, but the Packers never offered a pick better than a fourth-rounder.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...s-texans-within-failed-trade-for-will-fuller/

I'm fine with GB not budging - A second-rounder is too much for a rental, IMHO.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Dillon
Elgton Jenkins
Josh Jackson
Josh Jones
Jason Spriggs
Quinten Rollins

The last six Packers second round picks.

Nah, give me the rental.

Here’s the thing.

We are going into a year with a reduced salary cap where we are probably going to have to release starters to afford our best players (Bakhtiari, Jones, etc).

In order to replace those players, and fill the roster without going over the cap, I think we’re going to need as many draft picks as possible, especially the earlier rounds.

It stinks, but the money situation is what it is. Gute is in a bit of a pickle, especially because of how much he spent in FA. That’s why people calling him Ted 2.0 is ridiculous. Ted wouldn’t have been in this monetary situation.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is a good principle to have. Gute and LaFleur must at least be unified in views and Ball ofc has to support financially. So overall having the tri-fecta makes for good balance.

And yet no other franchise does this....especially winners of the last 10 Super Bowls.

Packer Fans: "Damn, yet another missed opportunity to improve the WR group failed. Gute you suck!"

Gute Appologists: "This team is fine, we didn't need Fuller and what else was Gute suppose to do, he tried"

Me: "Hey, I'm just happy that if the rumors are true, Gute acknowledged the Packers have a need at WR!!!!"

He should have acknowledged it in the Draft instead of betting on some gem to just fall to him on Day 3.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s the thing.

We are going into a year with a reduced salary cap where we are probably going to have to release starters to afford our best players (Bakhtiari, Jones, etc).

In order to replace those players, and fill the roster without going over the cap, I think we’re going to need as many draft picks as possible, especially the earlier rounds.

It stinks, but the money situation is what it is. Gute is in a bit of a pickle, especially because of how much he spent in FA. That’s why people calling him Ted 2.0 is ridiculous. Ted wouldn’t have been in this monetary situation.
They don’t realize that all the giddiness from 2 years ago comes with cost and constraints.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have plenty of money. Horrible excuse if true.

After reading much of what you have posted I've come to the conclusion you're vastly too upset and it is causing you to post quite purposperous things...we most definitely do not have plenty of money.

Also folks claiming you'd prefer to use a 2nd round on a trade for a proven guy vs a college prospect CLEARLY YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.

You're trading a 2nd round pick for a guy we cannot afford and will be here for less than 10 games best case...vs a draft pick we have on a rookie contract for years. Draft picks are gettig more valuable for this team than ever due to our fiscal issues hitting hard next year...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You're trading a 2nd round pick for a guy we cannot afford and will be here for less than 10 games best case...vs a draft pick we have on a rookie contract for years.

I didn't like the Fuller deal more on the grounds that he potentially could be a very short term rental, one that might not even be fully up to speed with the offense until Dec. Now had he been under contract for a couple of more years and it was a reasonable contract, I would have been fine with the 2nd round pick. I know everyone loves draft picks, but look at the history of our last 11 drafts. Seems like even second rounders are total crap shoots. Of the 13 players, I see 3 studs (Cobb, Adams and Jenkins) 5 total busts (Worthy, Rollins, Spriggs, Jones, Jackson), 3 players that I would call limited contributors (Neal, Hayward, King) and the other 2 guys I don't know where they fall, Dillon (unknown), Lacy...2 1/2 great years and then bust.
  • 2010: Mike Neal
  • 2011: Randall Cobb
  • 2012: Jerel Worthy & Casey Hayward
  • 2013: Eddie Lacy
  • 2014: Davante Adams
  • 2015: Quinton Rollins
  • 2016: Jason Spriggs
  • 2017: Kevin King & Josh Jones
  • 2018: Josh Jackson
  • 2019: Elgton Jenkins
  • 2020: AJ Dillon
Sure getting a Davante Adams or another Elgton Jenkins would be great, but if Fuller is comparable to say a Randall Cobb, then the 2nd rounder, with a good contract, to me is worth the trade.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure getting a Davante Adams or another Elgton Jenkins would be great, but if Fuller is comparable to say a Randall Cobb, then the 2nd rounder, with a good contract, to me is worth the trade.

Love Fuller, but you aren't giving up a 2nd for a guy who could be special with a good contract. You're eating ALL possibly more than what we have left $ wise and for quite possibly only 9 games...with ZERO contract in place forward.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Love Fuller, but you aren't giving up a 2nd for a guy who could be special with a good contract. You're eating ALL possibly more than what we have left $ wise and only for quite possibly only 9 games...with ZERO contract in place forward.

I think that is what I said? No?

IMO you are being too generous with having him for 9 games, he wouldn't have played tomorrow, then you have the "getting him up to speed" issue. Anyway, the trade didn't happen, so debating it is fruitless. However, I'm not opposed to spending draft picks on longer term (contracted) players that most likely will immediately improve the team, as opposed to drafting players that are a total wait and see and in many cases, do nothing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is not one person in this forum that was against adding another good player (or two) to the team. Heck, I bet there wasn't a person at the top of the Packers organization that didn't want to add a player to the team to push for a SB. The problem is what is worth it.

Someone above referenced all of the teams that made trade deadline moves. At the most, one of those teams will win the championship. All of the other teams will have wasted a draft pick (or more) with nothing to show for it. There are a lot of factors that go into pulling off a trade.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Someone above referenced all of the teams that made trade deadline moves. At the most, one of those teams will win the championship. All of the other teams will have wasted a draft pick (or more) with nothing to show for it. There are a lot of factors that go into pulling off a trade.

While I get the point you are trying to make, saying that "only one of those teams wins a SB" is assuming or concluding quite a few things:
  • a team that made a trade wins the SB
  • a team that made a trade doesn't win a SB this year, but how about next year?
  • a trade gives you a 1/32 chance of getting you a SB win
  • a team that didn't make a trade will win a SB next year, because they didn't waste a draft pick on a trade this year.
Taking that further, saying those teams that make a trade, don't win a SB but have nothing to show for it? So winning more games, getting further into the playoffs, playing in the SB mean nothing, if you don't win a SB? In a normal year, more games played (playoffs) makes teams more money. Not to mention that in many cases, you have that player in the next season or possibly a compensatory pick if wasn't under contract beyond this year.

If the Packers found trades that improved their team this year, next and beyond, I'm not going to worry about whether that trade won us a SB or not. Because I can say the exact same thing in a reverse argument: "That draft pick that we didn't trade, did that win us a SB?

I get it, the ultimate prize is winning the SB, but if success is strictly measured by that, 31 teams are losers every season.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funniest thing In all this is some of you guys really thought they were going to make a trade haha.

Personally I never thought Fuller was happening, Texans demanded far too much....and it was not logical.

I was hoping a Kenny Stills or John Ross type deal though...hoping, not expecting though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The funniest thing In all this is some of you guys really thought they were going to make a trade haha.

I expect more of the same, picking up a free agent or someone off of a Practice squad to improve the team beyond this year. I also think Gute wasn't expecting a SB team this year, at least that is what his draft and free agents moves led me to think. Looking at the team 7 games in, I think he was right. So if he couldn't find a trade that didn't improve the long term situation, I can see why he wasn't interested.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people not look at what Gute did in the draft and just accept what he has shown us? He's not trying to maximize the chance to win NOW, he's looking to try and win in 4-5 years (and the job security that comes with that).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why do people not look at what Gute did in the draft and just accept what he has shown us? He's not trying to maximize the chance to win NOW, he's looking to try and win in 4-5 years (and the job security that comes with that).

I think its somewhere in the middle. Love definitely was a pick that extends past 2021/22, but the other guys, were picks made with eyes on whatever they could contribute this year. but more for 2021 and beyond and filling perceived future needs.

Like I said in another post, I'm not so sure Gute thought we had a team that was a few draft picks away from a SB in 2020. COVID and the uncertainty of a season might have influenced some of those picks as well. As much as people want to trash his 2020 draft, they should keep in mind that its still early and maybe, just maybe those picks were investing into 2021 and beyond. Over relying on a draft pick or 2 to put you over the top in his rookie year is a crap shoot at best.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it’s time for our voices to be heard from fans. We supposedly own a share of the team.. yet we have ZERO say in anything.. I think it’s time we get one of us on the board. How do we start campaigning this

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its somewhere in the middle. Love definitely was a pick that extends past 2021/22, but the other guys, were picks made with eyes on whatever they could contribute this year. but more for 2021 and beyond and filling perceived future needs.

Like I said in another post, I'm not so sure Gute thought we had a team that was a few draft picks away from a SB in 2020. COVID and the uncertainty of a season might have influenced some of those picks as well. As much as people want to trash his 2020 draft, they should keep in mind that its still early and maybe, just maybe those picks were investing into 2021 and beyond. Over relying on a draft pick or 2 to put you over the top in his rookie year is a crap shoot at best.

A backup RB, backup QB, and backup TE with the first 3 picks doesn't shout quick help (or even 2 year help) to me when the team has much far larger needs at CB, ILB, DE, and WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A backup RB, backup QB, and backup TE with the first 3 picks doesn't shout quick help (or even 2 year help) to me when the team has much far larger needs at CB, ILB, DE, and WR.

Not sure if you read my post, you quoted it though. :whistling:
  • Love wasn't drafted for immediate help
  • we have 2 RB's on the last year of their contracts, you don't think Dillon was a pick for 2021 and whatever he could contribute this year?
  • MLF's offense heavily relies on TE's, Mercedes Lewis is what 49 years old? ;) Deguara was definitely a "what can he give us this year, but more next year" pick.
  • Martin was definitely a pick for now and future.
  • 3 offensive lineman in a row. You don't think those were picks for 2021 and beyond and potentially a bit of backup this year?
Again, I understand you are upset that the Packers didn't grab an immediate impact player with one of their first 2 picks, I was scratching my head too. However, I think those fans who are throwing their hands up because we haven't won a SB yet this year, are doing it prematurely. I also think you would have been expecting 2 rookies to do way too much. It is hind sight now, but what 2 picks should Gute have made in the draft, that has us instant SB contenders....in your opinion?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking that further, saying those teams that make a trade, don't win a SB but have nothing to show for it? ...... I get it, the ultimate prize is winning the SB, but if success is strictly measured by that, 31 teams are losers every season.
You should know me by now. I am happier with a consistently good team year-after-year than I am going all-in for SBs and then nose diving into rebuilding years. Trade deadline deals are generally not of good value, meaning that the sellers know that the buyers are a bit desperate to plug that hole. You are paying or trading a premium for the chance to win now. If you don't win now, that premium is a waste and merely the cost of not having the right pieces in place at the beginning of the season.

Members online