Disagreement in organization about Will Fuller

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading for Fuller would've meant admitting they botched the draft. Looks like they would rather save face than actually making a move that would improve their Super Bowl push
If this were true, Gute and company are arrogant ********.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was our second round pick this year?? Seems like an ok deal to me, depending on who the player was.
While I agree with your sentiment a 2nd round pick for 9-12 games is excessive unless it ends in a title. But overall everything about this organizations lack of desire to take a shot is frustrating

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading for Fuller would've meant admitting they botched the draft. Looks like they would rather save face than actually making a move that would improve their Super Bowl push. You know, like what every Super Bowl contender has done over the past two weeks.

Even the freakin' Lions were buyers this year.
ahhh yes, the Lions. Let's be more like the Lions LOL

felix145

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This front office is a joke. Packers must be the best at trying to improve their roster, but not get a deal done. Why do you throw a 2nd at a running back, but don't have a 2nd for a proven WR?

I just don't get it. This team is 2-3 playmakers away from the big shot.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude The Texans were asking for a second round pick and a player. That is a ripoff. We went 13-3 last year with our pickups from FA. I think that's a bit harsh.

The only thing I don't agree with them is how they handled the draft this year.
AJ Dillon
Elgton Jenkins
Josh Jackson
Josh Jones
Jason Spriggs
Quinten Rollins

The last six Packers second round picks.

Nah, give me the rental.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this were true, Gute and company are arrogant ********.
do you think it's true? i'm not including the first round, as i didn't want a QB either and obviously they valued him highly. It's a long term pick, if he's good it was good, if he's not it was a waste. None of the WR's available to them in the 1st round were 1st round talents to me anyway. people ***** about reaches on a daily here, but make it a WR and all would be right in the world LOL

anyway, he told everyone they wanted a WR and they had some rated highly, but none of them were at the value they thought they needed to be to pick. Maybe they were wrong. But he freaking told everyone point blank, they were looking. They just tried to make a trade for one and somehow someone comes up with a scenario that he didn't do it because he wants to prove he didn't want one because they didn't need one? Seems likely LOL

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at it this way. I like Will Fuller, would’ve gladly taken him.

The addition of Will Fuller alone is not getting us to the Super Bowl. It just isn’t.

With the salary cap dropping, draft picks are even more valuable than usual. Cheap players to fill the roster, and we’re gonna need it.

I’m disappointed, but I understand it too. I wish they would’ve traded a Day 3 for somebody, but we don’t know who was available or for what.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anybody thinks Gute didn’t trade for a WR bc that would be admitting he’s wrong, then what the hell do you think shopping for a WR says? A little critical thinking goes a long ways.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Gutey and co. know what it means to be in "win-now" mode. I agree, they seem to be doubling down on poor offseason roster management. Maybe we elevate or promote someone, or Lazard comes back and kills it, but I'm extremely doubtful. We still suck vs. the run (like last year) and Adams can get shut down enough by good defenses. Rodgers still dances in the pocket regardless of the tape he watched of himself. In these tougher matchups, there's no change from last year to this and the roster is a year older. I just don't know where the front office is going with this team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't purport to know how the Packers brass views things, but IMO sending a draft pick for an established vet can be quite smart. If given the choice between spending a 2nd round pick on an unproven college grad or a proven vet with tread on the tires....I'll use my 2nd round pick on the proven commodity every single time. It's not admitting defeat. It's making a smart move.

We don't know what player Houston asked for in addition to the 2nd rounder. That could significantly sway my evaluation of the deal.

Overall, these "should-we-or-shouldn't-we" conversations happen every year. The stupid part is that some moron leaks it, another one tweets it, and we all agonize over it.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why couldn't Gute trade for a good run stopper?
Well cap space is number 1 for sure. All comes down to that. But imo they give two craps about getting better they are ready to move on from Rodgers sooner than later. New GM new Coach they want there own legacy. This whole draft was clearly building for the future. They wasted favres and Rodgers careers imo longest running two qbs and two Super Bowls is pathetic...

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anybody thinks Gute didn’t trade for a WR bc that would be admitting he’s wrong, then what the hell do you think shopping for a WR says? A little critical thinking goes a long ways.
Did they really try though? I suspect their definition of try is "take our low ball offer or forget it".

But while SF, NO, TB and all the other contenders make significant moves, at least we can say we tried again. We TRIED to sign AB this year. We TRIED to trade for Fuller. We tried to get Snacks Harrison. We tried to...everyone else must just be trying harder.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't purport to know how the Packers brass views things, but IMO sending a draft pick for an established vet can be quite smart. If given the choice between spending a 2nd round pick on an unproven college grad or a proven vet with tread on the tires....I'll use my 2nd round pick on the proven commodity every single time. It's not admitting defeat. It's making a smart move.

We don't know what player Houston asked for in addition to the 2nd rounder. That could significantly sway my evaluation of the deal.

Overall, these "should-we-or-shouldn't-we" conversations happen every year. The stupid part is that some moron leaks it, another one tweets it, and we all agonize over it.

If trading for that contract makes it so we don’t have hardly any money roll over and, and with the declining cap, makes it so we can’t re-sign Bakh, Jones, etc, is it worth it? That plus a 2nd round pick? That’s pretty steep.

Do you think Will Fuller alone wins GB the Super Bowl?

I dunno. Part of me wishes they did it, the other part understands why they didn’t. They know the situation better than we do.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did they really try though? I suspect their definition of try is "take our low ball offer or forget it".

But while SF, NO, TB and all the other contenders make significant moves, at least we can say we tried again. We TRIED to sign AB this year. We TRIED to trade for Fuller. We tried to get Snacks Harrison. We tried to...everyone else must just be trying harder.

From what I understand, GB was willing to move a 3rd, but not a 2nd, and they wanted Houston to pay for some of the contract too.

Sounds to me like there is a money level they don’t want to cross.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks to me like Gute is Ted Thompson 2.0. Content to just be a second tier also ran year after year. It's so frustrating watching every other Super Bowl contender making moves to improve their team for the championship push while this organization is content to sit on their hands year in and year out. Just once can they go all in? Remember all the "would you rather" talk about either winning a Super Bowl and sucking for the next 10 years or being a contender every year and not winning one? Alot of people picked the latter. I suspect after today that number has significantly dwindled.
From what I understand, GB was willing to move a 3rd, but not a 2nd, and they wanted Houston to pay for some of the contract too.

Sounds to me like there is a money level they don’t want to cross.
I heard they only offered a fourth and scoffed at the third.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don’t know if this was a good call to pass or not, nor where the disagreement emerged from, but this may be the first sign that Murphy’s arrangement regarding power structures within the FO is not a good idea.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to think MLF wanted Fuller for sure. They have history, and he fits perfectly in this offense. Never was a fan of the purported power structure in GB.

On another note, I'm a little saddened that Fuller was apparently the only guy they really went after. The DL needed more help than WR.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Snacks turned down at least 3 other teams publicly to stay on the Hawks practice squad. Doesn’t sound like it matters if they tried, he had zero desire

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks to me like Gute is Ted Thompson 2.0. Content to just be a second tier also ran year after year. It's so frustrating watching every other Super Bowl contender making moves to improve their team for the championship push while this organization is content to sit on their hands year in and year out. Just once can they go all in? Remember all the "would you rather" talk about either winning a Super Bowl and sucking for the next 10 years or being a contender every year and not winning one? Alot of people picked the latter. I suspect after today that number has significantly dwindled.

I heard they only offered a fourth and scoffed at the third.

I think it was Rapoport who said GB offered a 3.

Calling Gute Ted 2.0 is lazy and inaccurate.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Snacks turned down at least 3 other teams publicly to stay on the Hawks practice squad. Doesn’t sound like it matters if they tried, he had zero desire

Dont ya know it’s all Gute’s fault. Or Murphy’s. Whatever fits the agenda.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to think MLF wanted Fuller for sure. They have history, and he fits perfectly in this offense. Never was a fan of the purported power structure in GB.

On another note, I'm a little saddened that Fuller was apparently the only guy they really went after. The DL needed more help than WR.
I agree with that. DL/ILB was certainly the primary need, but Fuller would've been a great pickup too.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy ****. Are people actually upset the Packers DIDN'T trade a 2nd round pick on a 8 game rental?

Seriously what is wrong with you guys?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rock and a hard place for Gute. Going to be the same this off season. If the highest they were willing to go was a three, I'm fine with that. I'm satisfied that they tried, but were'nt idiots about it.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy ****. Are people actually upset the Packers DIDN'T trade a 2nd round pick on a 8 game rental?

Seriously what is wrong with you guys?

...Or maybe we are disappointed they didn't address the terrible dline?