Dez Bryant signed by the Saints

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess it's the combination of the two things.
when they had to think twice to offer him the minimum? i know last year is pretty much a throw away year but he was pretty invisible from halfway through the dallas game on. he wasn't even on the field for the game winning drive of that game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
i don't think it was money. i think they think jordy doesn't have it anymore.

I would guess it's the combination of the two things.
I'm kind of leaning towards that way of thinking too. As much as I want to still see Jordy as a high producing WR, with a great connection to AR, its hard to fathom that the Packers parted ways with the guy just due to not being able to find a happy medium on pay level. Was his dramatic slide due to just Hundley or did the Packers see something that made them think his playing days are numbered?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say his logic (why cut one vet to save money and then spend it on another old vet) is a bigger deterrent than him not being jazzed about it.

Dez is younger and would presumably take less cap space than Nelson would have (at his original price of course, no telling how much we could have had him for) so that takes care of those arguments...to some degree.

Agreed, but I think that an argument could be made that Dez, who is 3 1/2 years younger could possibly be an upgrade over Jordy.

and presumably for less of a cap hit.

I'm on record saying I'd pass on Dez... and I still would, but I agree that he is younger and the longer he stays unemployed increases his chances of being cheaper as well. I know Dez has been claiming he will only sign for top dollar, but I don't see any teams stepping up so...

I have not seen anything where Dez has made his contract demands public. I know he said he wouldn't take a pay cut from the cowboys but once he was released has he said anything about how much he wanted?

i don't think it was money. i think they think jordy doesn't have it anymore.

I agree hence the lowball offer in an attempt to save face and put it on Jordy. "hey we offered to keep him and he turned us down." I don't think they really wanted him and I'm OK with it if that is what they thought. I may not agree but its not my decision. Too early as opposed to to late isn't that what they say.

I get Rodger's point and I agree with it to an extent but he is younger and if he would come cheaper it would make his point moot. Still I can't help but think this was Aaron's way of saying to Gute "I don't want him here"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dez is younger and would presumably take less cap space than Nelson would have (at his original price of course, no telling how much we could have had him for) so that takes care of those arguments...to some degree.

He’s younger, but he’s not really moving that much better.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm on record saying I'd pass on Dez... and I still would, but I agree that he is younger and the longer he stays unemployed increases his chances of being cheaper as well. I know Dez has been claiming he will only sign for top dollar, but I don't see any teams stepping up so...

Actually Bryant has made it pretty clear that he's only interested in signing a one-year, prove-it deal at this point.

a true defensive upgrade would help a lot since the d is still the weak link...but we can make room for wr upgrade too.

The Packers should definitely improve their pass rush before the start of the season. Otherwise I'm excited about the moves the team has made this offseason to upgrade that side of the ball.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still unsigned. I wonder where he'll end up...
Nowhere until he realizes nobody is going to pay him top dollar. I'm assuming he will end up on a roster somewhere after a camp injury etc... but not at the dollar amount he was asking earlier.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nowhere until he realizes nobody is going to pay him top dollar. I'm assuming he will end up on a roster somewhere after a camp injury etc... but not at the dollar amount he was asking earlier.
I don't think he's anywhere till camps start

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What was he asking for? Not how much was Dallas supposed to pay him how much has he said he would sign for.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seems pretty desperate for dez, tbh
awful hard to fulfill the "prove it" part of "prove it deal" in cleveland

I wonder what kept the deal from happening. I think the Browns knew Gordon would be back so it made signing Bryant a low priority. Still could you imagine Landry, Gordon and Bryant. I know Dez has lost some but as a #3 wideout it would make a pretty formidable group.

Or maybe it was Bryant who got wind of Gordon's return and had the same thought as you did. With Landry and Gordon I won't have much of a chance to prove anything.

However I disagree with it being desperation for Dez and your insinuation that just because its Cleveland he wouldn't have a chance to prove anything. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Browns are drafting outside the top 5 and behind the Bengals next year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If anything, if Dez backed off, he probably looked at who the Browns QB's are and asked himself "Can I prove myself with Taylor or Mayfield?" Feels more like the Browns backed away from it though?

Probably the best fit for Dez would have been the Packers. #12 throwing to him, Adams on one side, Cobb in the slot and Graham at TE. He may not have gotten the spotlight, but if he and AR got on the same page, I think he would have had a great chance to prove himself.

Unless Adams or Allison suffer some kind of injury, I doubt the Packers are even thinking about Dez.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything, if Dez backed off, he probably looked at who the Browns QB's are and asked himself "Can I prove myself with Taylor or Mayfield?" Feels more like the Browns backed away from it though?

Probably the best fit for Dez would have been the Packers. #12 throwing to him, Adams on one side, Cobb in the slot and Graham at TE. He may not have gotten the spotlight, but if he and AR got on the same page, I think he would have had a great chance to prove himself.

Unless Adams or Allison suffer some kind of injury, I doubt the Packers are even thinking about Dez.
Yeah it’s really think it’s interesting he isn’t on anybodys team maybe just maybe he goes back to the boys lol how funny who knows! I’d be for getting him but I like our tightend group being on the field more anyways

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Dez should have taken the Ravens deal in the spring which was according to some reports, 3 years for $21M. Sounds like Dez Bryant took a page from the Latrell Sprewell book of contract negotiation who also turned down a 3 year offer for $21M because it wouldn't be enough to feed his family. Sprewell never played in the NBA again.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/18/d...r-deangelo-hall-retires-brandon-graham-injury

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dez should have taken the Ravens deal in the spring which was according to some reports, 3 years for $21M. Sounds like Dez Bryant took a page from the Latrell Sprewell book of contract negotiation who also turned down a 3 year offer for $21M because it wouldn't be enough to feed his family. Sprewell never played in the NBA again.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/18/d...r-deangelo-hall-retires-brandon-graham-injury

I don't know about Sprewell but some of these athletes, with the way they procreate, may have a problem feeding their families on 7 million dollars a year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dez Bryant is back in the league as he will sign a contract with the Saints tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.