DeShawn Wynn

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the release of Arliss Beach, the only true power runner on the squad, would it stand to reason that the early performance of Wynn is capturing the team's attention? If this kid has improved his work habits and dedication to his craft, we might have ourselves quite a steal. His running style is very suited to the ZBS, as was mentioned in numerous post-draft reports, and has good quickness in space and reaction for such a big man.

I look forward to see how he looks with the pads on.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he had a pretty good college career, but didn't he have some injury problems?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think it says more about Beach's health than anything else.. couldn't practice this spring/summer due to sore foot... walking bandage..

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DeShawn Wynn could be like a 3rd down and short type of back, wasn't Tony Fisher that type of guy?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fisher did what Noah Herron does now, the 3rd down - pass catching type back, not really the 3rd and 1 or goalline guy

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fisher did what Noah Herron does now, the 3rd down - pass catching type back, not really the 3rd and 1 or goalline guy

Yes, Noah Herron does fit fishers role.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Beach might be a sleeper but that "availability" factor is certainly something the coaches look at.

Wynn was a highly recruited prospect out of H.S. that may have gotten caught up in the "Urban" renewal program. Sometimes players get the wrong end of the stick with a coaching change and this may be the case here.

I don't think he was the happiest of campers at Florida and may not have been Meyer's favorite player there. Of course Meyer throws it all over the place and will make WR's a lot of money down the road vs. RB's who don't get featured like they would like.

This is where the scouts are paid the big bucks by looking past the numbers and finding players stuck in scheme's that don't fit well with what they do best. You have to wonder what a player like Wynn might have done at a school like Nebraska who uses the ZBS and runs it a lot.

I have a feeling he would have gone a lot higher in the draft if that were the case.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the line play improves this season, I have a very strong feeling that Morency, Jackson and, should he make the team, Wynn will do very well. I think we have a nice stable of young backs waiting to bust out and make a name for themselves.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hunch he'll get cut. I don't really see him catching on to the offense and he's often injured. He's a big name college player who'll struggle in the NFL because he was the product of a well built offense.

I hope he proves me otherwise but I don't see him making the roster over Morency, Jackson, or Herron. Maybe at FB he could do something.

Packerfanforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will probably get cut, along with the other 7th round pick, Clark Harris. Ive heard the man cant catch anything in the OTA'S.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He still could make a good power back, maybe a Najeh Davenport but better.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thought at draft day was..well, they had to draft somebody, didn't they? I think he makes it only because nobody steps up to do better. That says just how much a mistake TT made in trying to short-change Griffith. A position of weakness could have been one of strength. Now we need to try to get a LB to become a FB instead of going with his strength. Lousy work by TT, IMO. It's going to hamper Hall as well as the team. We'd better pray Miree is ready to go.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pray?

Pray that our starting FB from last year returns? Why would we need to pray for that? Is he hurt? I haven't been paying attention.

Miree will be fine. Add Korey Hall, Corey White, and Ryan Powdrell to the mix, and potentially Wynn in certain situations.....i dont see the big deal here.

Reaction score
Pray?

Pray that our starting FB from last year returns? Why would we need to pray for that? Is he hurt? I haven't been paying attention.

Miree will be fine. Add Korey Hall, Corey White, and Ryan Powdrell to the mix, and potentially Wynn in certain situations.....i dont see the big deal here.

But 'fine' for Miree could be a long way from what is desirable.

That's the issue I think retiredgrampa has. Miree was on the PS until week 4. That means for 4 weeks, no one thought highly enough of him to even bother picking him up.

He came in and won the job, but then got injured. He missed time, only to come back and not regain the starting job.

It doesn't exactly speak highly of Miree, when you take into account that Miree couldn't regain the job from a guy who the Packers decided didn't have it anymore only 2/3 weeks after the season was done.

Miree is injury prone (each of his 3 years, he's missed time with injuries). When you rely on a converted LB that is still learning the position, well let's be honest that isn't the back-up option that a lot of people would want.

I can see where retiredgramps is coming from. A bit off-topic, but still he makes a fair point.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I only really have seen the highlight films

The problem I see with Wynn is that he goes down when first hit. He does not seem to be and fast guy who can make a defender miss and he doesn't seem to be a power guy to plow through a defender.

How does that translate to blocking? Well he may not get the leverage or possess the power to block.

Wynn I think will be a practice squad guy with a difficult time making the roster next year when another quality RB is drafted.

Herron can't go on the practice squad like Pope or Wynn. He has some pressure on him as he does not get a second chance.

Members online