Depth.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading about the Pack over the last week or so, really got me thinking about our quality of depth.

Depth is a silent powerful factor that championship teams have.

I am looking on our roster on both sides of the ball and our depth scares me. One or two major injuries and we could go from a playoff team to a team that is looking forward to a high draft pick.

What happens if Walker or Driver go down? Favre? KGB? Nick Barnett? Or heaven for bid Al Harris (you think I am kidding, I am not)!

It pains me to say it but even if the Vikes lose one or two of their starters, they have the deepest bench in the NFC North. That bothers me.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It bothers me too. And the problem is that we are talking about footbal here and injuries are bound to happen. The everyday starting line up is not always the most important, and they are not always the ones that win for you because some starters get hurt. It useally comes down to whoever like you said has more depth.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking that Favre, Harris and Barnett can go down scares me the most. But this is what we have now and we must play with this guys and try to avoid injuries..

I dont like to bash Sherman but he made a bunch of mistakes, paying a lot of money to Hunt and Kgb, making draft mistakes like Carrol, hiring bad coordinators like Slowicked, and placed us in this situation, now I must give him the benefit of the doubt to see if he can lead us to a good season with what we have..

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a key player goes down for about 3/4 of the season just about any team is in trouble with the parity in the NFL. A team has to have some degee of luck to stay healthy for the most part. Take Lewis away from the Ravens, Tomlinson from the Chargers, Brady from the Patriots, etc. Now if it is a lesser player, even though he's good, that's a different story. A team may or may not have depth to cover at that position.

In general, a team has to be fortunate enough to keep it's key players healthy to win the SB. At that level, teams will exploit your weaknesses.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if we lose Nick Barnett or Al Harris we are in major major trouble, If the Ravens lose Lewis or Ed Reed they will STILL BE a top 10 D. They have a lot of quality quality D players. WE DO NOT.

Traxx, I think your theory is thin.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine if we lost a lineman. That would put Favre and Ahman in danger too!
But let's try and keep positive. :shrug:

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depth is a big question right now because there are so many players injured currently. Most of these are minor injuries, but it still takes a lot away from our depth.

The scrimmage exposed our injury situation. For defensive starters, we had Williams and Cole instead of Hunt and Jackson plus both Harris and Thomas were out, but still our 1st team defense played very well.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without injury, you won't truly know the quality of depth you may or may not have. Who had ever heard of Nick Goings before last season (outside of Carolina)? For that matter, how many here know who he is now?

Last year's 6th sting running back had 5 consecutive 100 yard games and finished the year with over 800 yards while only playing the second half of the season.

Because we ended last season with 17 total guys on IR or retiring prior to the season/taking injury settlements, we now know we have a very deep roster.

Many of our backups have been starters for us (see Ricky Manning and Goings) or others around the league (see LBs Brandon Short, Chris Draft or FS/SS Marlon McRee, Idrees Bashir, or WR Rod Gardner). All with the exception of Short (who was a back up to Mark Fields last year) were starters just last season.

You picked up Joey Harris (5th string last season) who has very good skills. He can contribute on special teams and provide depth. He is better in space and running wide than up the middle, but will do anything asked of him. Start with guys like that and build on it.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked up Goings in FF when Tiki Barber tanked(Manning's fault). He helped me a lot.

O-line in Green Bay must have the best 5 start and the best 9 stay. I don't like it but I think Tauscher is so much smarter and more flexible than Barry(Wonderlic of 8 and only has learned one posisition in all his years) so Tauscher should move to guard.

Expect it Saturday after review of Thursday game film. I hate to see Barry succeed through lack of cognitive capacity; but it is time.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
But if we lose Nick Barnett or Al Harris we are in major major trouble, If the Ravens lose Lewis or Ed Reed they will STILL BE a top 10 D. They have a lot of quality quality D players. WE DO NOT.

Traxx, I think your theory is thin.

Point taken. But I still say if the Ravens lose Reed or Lewis for most of the season, they become a much lesser team. Maybe they still stay top 10, most likely they don't. If any team has a key player hurt for an extended period of time they are going to have a drop off,even the Ravens.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think the Ravens are in a lot more hurt if they lose Lewis, he's a helluva leader and emotional guy that motivates other players when he's on the field. I think without him they lost their intensity.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depth is indeed a concern, but what concerns me more is the starting lineup. Do we have enough quality starters to compete for a championship and superbowl? I believe depth is vital to both of things, but I'm much more concerned about who is going to be starting in the defensive line and can we stop the run and get a pass rush, or who is going to start in the defensive backfield and can they defend against anyone?

Members online

Latest posts