DeMarcus Ware

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know starting this thread goes against a lot of my issues with this thread - i.e. Packers should sign the newest star veteran to hit the street. But, I'm more curious if you think Ware will still command a substantial contract if he is cut by the Cowboys - a real possibility given his injury history and their cap predicament. IF he were a reasonable get, I'd be interested in him, even with his injury issues.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3170/demarcus-ware

Jerrah hinted that DeMarcus Ware will not be kept due to Dallas being in salary cap hell. I think this is the kind of signing Ted needs to look at. Somewhat of a Woodson signing to help anchor the defense. I think him and Clay would be a ridiculous 1-2 punch when it comes to getting after the QB. He's played in a 3-4 and was very very good in this kind of a system. I don't think 30 sacks from the 2 would be out of the question. I wouldn't go crazy on the contract due to his nagging injuries the past couple of years but a 2 year deal somewhere in the area of 10-15 million and I'd be all over this.

Thoughts?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, I just started the exact same thread not 2 minutes ago. I'd be all over this one at a reasonable deal. I don't think 30 sacks out of him and Clay isnt out of the question.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I know starting this thread goes against a lot of my issues with this thread - i.e. Packers should sign the newest star veteran to hit the street. But, I'm more curious if you think Ware will still command a substantial contract if he is cut by the Cowboys - a real possibility given his injury history and their cap predicament. IF he were a reasonable get, I'd be interested in him, even with his injury issues.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Cowboys will cut Ware (they´re $22 million over the cap and he´s the only one on their roster saving more than $2 million in cap space when being cut). He´s still got four years and $53 million left on his current contract, if he´s asking for that kind of money, NO WAY!!!

But I would be fine if the Packers would use the $8 million they wanted to spend on Raji on him I would be fine with that.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is funny, is Ware is only $7.5M in cap savings and they will still take an $8.5M cap hit cutting him. Keeping him is a $16M cap hit.

Find another $14M here:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Cowboys&Year=2014

I have no idea how they will do it. There are players here that I do not recognize that are counting big money against the cap.

Orlando Scandrick is $10M in dead money. Never heard of the guy and he is taking up $6.6M in cap space. They cannot cut him because he would cost them an additional $3.4M in cap. I will google to find out, not that I watch any Cowboy football, but I am usually aware of the big money players in the NFL.

Mackenzy Bernadeau? Church? Parnell?

Cowboys are going to be a train wreck.

D

Deleted member 6794

What is funny, is Ware is only $7.5M in cap savings and they will still take an $8.5M cap hit cutting him. Keeping him is a $16M cap hit.

Find another $14M here:

The only way for them to get under the cap is to restructure some contracts.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Find another $14M here:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Cowboys&Year=2014

I have no idea how they will do it. There are players here that I do not recognize that are counting big money against the cap.

Orlando Scandrick is $10M in dead money. Never heard of the guy and he is taking up $6.6M in cap space. They cannot cut him because he would cost them an additional $3.4M in cap. I will google to find out, not that I watch any Cowboy football, but I am usually aware of the big money players in the NFL.

Mackenzy Bernadeau? Church? Parnell?

Cowboys are going to be a train wreck.

If I'm not mistaken Scandrick was just resigned last year so I don't see him as a cut. Miles Austin will be a post June 1st cut I'm pretty sure. Romo, Brandon Carr and Doug Free will be restructured. I have no doubt that they will be able to get under the cap.. they always do. They also have to pay Tyron Smith and Dez coming up here, both of which will command top 5 money at their positions as they should.

H

HardRightEdge

The only way for them to get under the cap is to restructure some contracts.
I agree with that. However, when the player has a large dead cap number it gives him significant negotiating leverage in the restructuring. Larger than otherwise warranted signing bonuses in the renegotiations might well be the result, which pushes the problem out to future years where the cap issues will be compounded.

They could clear out a large swath of the middle of the roster, picking up a net $250,000 - $1 mil per player by replacing them with minimum salary rookies and second year players. I doubt that would be very attractive to them.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that. However, when the player has a large dead cap number it gives him significant negotiating leverage in the restructuring. Larger than otherwise warranted signing bonuses in the renegotiations might well be the result, which pushes the problem out to future years where the cap issues will be compounded.

They could clear out a large swath of the middle of the roster, picking up a net $250,000 - $1 mil per player by replacing them with minimum salary rookies and second year players. I doubt that would be very attractive to them.
exactly. But pushing out these deals is exactly why they are in the position they are in now. It is only going to make things even worse at some point.

if I am Jones, anyone who has a cap savings contract is up for trade. I have a fire sale and start from scratch. Of course it is a little late after giving the QB such a huge contract. I think the team is set up for mediocrity for the next decade. I would take a chance on greatness and start over.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly. But pushing out these deals is exactly why they are in the position they are in now. It is only going to make things even worse at some point.

if I am Jones, anyone who has a cap savings contract is up for trade. I have a fire sale and start from scratch. Of course it is a little late after giving the QB such a huge contract. I think the team is set up for mediocrity for the next decade. I would take a chance on greatness and start over.

There is no chance Jerry does this.

Romo is probably the only one who deserved the contract he got on that team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no chance Jerry does this.

Romo is probably the only one who deserved the contract he got on that team.
I agree Jerry won't do it, that's why the Cowboys continually are mired in mediocrity.

opinions vary on Romo's value, I think he got more than he deserves. He needs talent around him to succeed that the cowboys don't have nor the resources to obtain anytime soon.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Jerry won't do it, that's why the Cowboys continually are mired in mediocrity.

opinions vary on Romo's value, I think he got more than he deserves. He needs talent around him to succeed that the cowboys don't have nor the resources to obtain anytime soon.

Whether he got more than deserves can definitely be debated my point was he is probably the only one on that team who deserved any sort of significant contract extension.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether he got more than deserves can definitely be debated my point was he is probably the only one on that team who deserved any sort of significant contract extension.

They have a tightend whos pretty good ...top 3 in the league.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have a tightend whos pretty good ...top 3 in the league.

Absolutely... my point is he doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he brings to that team is all. Jerrah does him no favors, and he is a Super Bowl caliber QB.

Side Note: I hate the Cowboys more then anyone can imagine but I have a friend who is a die hard Cowboys fan and he has beaten Romo into me for the past 5 years. I hate the guy but his numbers stack up with the best of them

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some team will offer Ware significantly more than we will. He would be a great addition to the team provided he passes medical evals.

D

Deleted member 6794

If I'm not mistaken Scandrick was just resigned last year so I don't see him as a cut. Miles Austin will be a post June 1st cut I'm pretty sure. Romo, Brandon Carr and Doug Free will be restructured. I have no doubt that they will be able to get under the cap.. they always do.

Scandrick will not be released cause that would add another $3.6 million to their cap. Cutting Miles Austin after June 1 makes sense, but first of all they have to find a way to get under the cap before March 11.

Absolutely... my point is he doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he brings to that team is all. Jerrah does him no favors, and he is a Super Bowl caliber QB.

Romo does have great numbers, but have you ever watched him play??? He´s not a Super Bowl caliber QB and he is highly overpaid.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scandrick will not be released cause that would add another $3.6 million to their cap. Cutting Miles Austin after June 1 makes sense, but first of all they have to find a way to get under the cap before March 11.

Romo does have great numbers, but have you ever watched him play??? He´s not a Super Bowl caliber QB and he is highly overpaid.

This is a topic we will just have to agree to disagree on. I've watched him play plenty (all goes back to my hatred for Dallas and love for rubbing it in my buddys face when they lose). I have argued with him more times then I can remember about this very subject. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I believe since he has been the starting QB, Dallas has had a defensive passer rating under 80 one time, they went 13-3 that season.

Again, I'm not debating whether or not he is overpaid because that is very much up for debate based on the success that the team has had during his tenure as QB. He is however the reason they haven't been picking in the top 10 every year since he became the starting QB.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a topic we will just have to agree to disagree on. I've watched him play plenty (all goes back to my hatred for Dallas and love for rubbing it in my buddys face when they lose). I have argued with him more times then I can remember about this very subject. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I believe since he has been the starting QB, Dallas has had a defensive passer rating under 80 one time, they went 13-3 that season.

Again, I'm not debating whether or not he is overpaid because that is very much up for debate based on the success that the team has had during his tenure as QB. He is however the reason they haven't been picking in the top 10 every year since he became the starting QB.

Romo is Matty Ice is Jay Cutler. The league always has QBs like them.

There is just no way I'm ever going into any season with these guys as my starting QB thinking, Ya, we always have a great shot as long as we have Tony Romo or Matty Ice or Jay Cutler! On the other hand, that absolutely can be said about Rodgers... Brees... Manning.... Brady. Sooooooooo...are they decent? Yep. As good as any? Not even close.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo is a 6th to 10th best QB almost every season. Seems pretty foolish to think you couldn't win a SB with him when players of that caliber already have won SBs

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo is a 6th to 10th best QB almost every season. Seems pretty foolish to think you couldn't win a SB with him when players of that caliber already have won SBs

Cant stand Romo but ill take him over Eli Manning and Joe Flacco and both those stiffs have rings. Romo just lacks mental clutchness...lol i think i just coined a new phrase.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Of course he could win a Super Bowl. Much worse QBs have. ... that's not the point. The point is he's not a guy that can be stacked in "with the best of them" as was suggested. He's a second tier guy. That's all I'm saying.

Beyond all of the stats, can anyone that's watched Romo or Matty "Ice" or Cutler honestly suggest they believe any one of them can be counted on to carry their team thru a payoffs? Heck no, all three are about as unreliable and unpredictable as a QB can be.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he could win a Super Bowl. Much worse QBs have. ... that's not the point. The point is he's not a guy that can be stacked in "with the best of them" as was suggested. He's a second tier guy. That's all I'm saying.

Beyond all of the stats, can anyone that's watched Romo or Matty "Ice" or Cutler honestly suggest they believe any one of them can be counted on to carry their team thru a payoffs? Heck no, all three are about as unreliable and unpredictable as a QB can be.

To lump him in with Jay Cutler is a huge insult IMO. He has done far more with far less to work with... perfect example is this past year against Denver. 70% 506 yds 5 TD's and 1 INT 140 QB rating put up 48 points and lost. I do believe he could carry a competent team through the playoffs. I'm not saying he's Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers but he certainly isn't Jay Cutler. He has been hamstrung by a terrible coach, and an owner who couldn't GM his way out of a wet paper bag.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
To lump him in with Jay Cutler is a huge insult IMO. He has done far more with far less to work with... perfect example is this past year against Denver. 70% 506 yds 5 TD's and 1 INT 140 QB rating put up 48 points and lost. I do believe he could carry a competent team through the playoffs. I'm not saying he's Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers but he certainly isn't Jay Cutler. He has been hamstrung by a terrible coach, and an owner who couldn't GM his way out of a wet paper bag.

Denvers defense was not "all that"..... plenty of teams put up decent points on them, just the teams denver played couldnt match them in offensive production. Not to mention denver didnt have a tough schedule. Romo is NOT that good. As mentioned, he IS a 2nd teir QB as is cutler, so they are in the same boat. Romo in the playoffs = choke master.... that alone says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts