Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And I respect your perspective, really I do. But some people should just be a "thanks but no thanks".

Last time Barry was a DC:

2007-2008 - Last in the NFL in points allowed and yards allowed. Also featured a winless season in 2008.

2015-2016 - 28th in yards allowed. 17th and 19th in points allowed respectively.

I'm sorry, but to me he sucks.

I'm not really interested in what he did 13 years ago, compared to what he's done recently.

Being average in points allowed with that Washington roster was pretty respectable.

And since that time, all he's done if work with one of the best defensive coordinator's of a generation and, after that guy moved on, on the best defense in football (under a guy who wants to bring him along to LA and make him a coordinator).

So maybe some guys should be "thanks, but no thanks," but not guys with his resume, when you consider the pros as well as the cons.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Does evero have enough knowledge/leadership/experience to lead an entire nfl defense and take on play calling.

I’m slightly concerned that he was up for a pair of promotions yet passed up by Mcvay.

He’s basically just coached safeties for the Rams for 4 years and nothing else really notable aside from a couple stints as a defensive quality control coach as far as I can tell. When you’re looking for one of those strike while it’s hot coaching candidates, I think the ascension should be more apparent/ deliberate, but evero has technically been coaching in the nfl since 07 and has not had an impressive trajectory

You could have said the same thing about Staley before the Rams hired him to be their DC. All he had done in the league was serve three seasons as an outside linebackers coach.

They interviewed a lot of guys with more experience than Evero. If rumors are correct, he still rose to the top of their pile.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could have said the same thing about Staley before the Rams hired him to be their DC. All he had done in the league was serve three seasons as an outside linebackers coach.

They interviewed a lot of guys with more experience than Evero. If rumors are correct, he still rose to the top of their pile.

Not really close, Staley had been a defensive coordinator in college and he rose quickly through the ranks from graduate assistant to head coach in the nfl in as long as it’s taken Evero to go from quality control coach to safeties, which he’ been stagnant at for the past 4 years. Which is why I said evero’s career trajectory is underwhelming, he was also hired ahead of evero for the dc positon with the Rams despite evero being on the staff. When guys have it, you tend to notice quickly as is the case with Staley.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not really close, Staley had been a defensive coordinator in college and he rose quickly through the ranks from graduate assistant to head coach in the nfl in as long as it’s taken Evero to go from quality control coach to safeties for the past 4 years. Which is why I said evero’s career trajectory is underwhelming, he was also hired ahead of evero for the dc positon with the Rams despite evero being on the staff. When guys have it, you tend to notice quickly as is the case with Staley.

So his lack of experience is a red flag, but so is the length of experience?

It sounds like you're simultaneously saying it's too soon for him, and also not soon enough.

Also, Staley's DC experience was at John Carroll and James Madison. You may be overestimating the importance.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So his lack of experience is a red flag, but so is the length of experience?

It sounds like you're simultaneously saying it's too soon for him, and also not soon enough.

his lack of experience relative to his time in coaching. He’s not moved up, diversified himself, gotten promotions. He’s had a very underwhelming career thus far. Meanwhile you see a guy like Staley in the same amount of time do defensive line, secondaries, linebackers, and defensive coordinator in college to nfl outside linebackers to nfl DC to head coach. That’s the type of guy who I look at as one who has special skills in elevating talent and that’s why he’s risen. Evero is kind of just stagnant and that’s a red flag to me. The fact that his own head coach passed him up on promotions multiple times is also a red flag.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sounds like they offered Jim the job, but he said no, his heart is in Madison.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nobody will get hurt because it is a mighty low cliff. More like a speed bump.:speechless:

The Packers defense wasn't that bad with Pettine as their defensive coordinator, ranking ninth in 2019 as well as in the top 10 in points allowed in the second half of this season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers defense wasn't that bad with Pettine as their defensive coordinator, ranking ninth in 2019 as well as in the top 10 in points allowed in the second half of this season.
But still not capable of winning a game if the offense struggled.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really close, Staley had been a defensive coordinator in college and he rose quickly through the ranks from graduate assistant to head coach in the nfl in as long as it’s taken Evero to go from quality control coach to safeties, which he’ been stagnant at for the past 4 years. Which is why I said evero’s career trajectory is underwhelming, he was also hired ahead of evero for the dc positon with the Rams despite evero being on the staff. When guys have it, you tend to notice quickly as is the case with Staley.

his lack of experience relative to his time in coaching. He’s not moved up, diversified himself, gotten promotions. He’s had a very underwhelming career thus far. Meanwhile you see a guy like Staley in the same amount of time do defensive line, secondaries, linebackers, and defensive coordinator in college to nfl outside linebackers to nfl DC to head coach. That’s the type of guy who I look at as one who has special skills in elevating talent and that’s why he’s risen. Evero is kind of just stagnant and that’s a red flag to me. The fact that his own head coach passed him up on promotions multiple times is also a red flag.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but I'm just going to put it out there:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion.

And for the record, I'm not saying this is the ONLY reason Evero may have not found opportunities elsewhere, but I believe it could be a factor.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Ok, I understand.

But you’re making a much bigger difference between the quality of Staley’s experience at the FCS level and Evero’s as an NFL assistant than I would.

Staley spent 11 years at the lower levels of college football, and Evero spent 9 at the lower rungs of the NFL.

I obviously can’t tell you why Evero didn’t move up faster, but he's 40 with four years experience as a position coach. When Staley got the DC job, he was 37 with three years experience as a position coach.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion.

And for the record, I'm not saying this is the ONLY reason Evero may have not found opportunities elsewhere, but I believe it could be a factor.

Accusing people and organizations of being ethnically prejudiced without evidence to support it is immoral and disgusting.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we'll never have that evidence. But we do know that in an organization where the main principals are overwhelmingly people of color, the higher echelons of leadership are resoundingly not.

Keep in mind Evero is NOT my first choice. Maybe he's had bad luck, maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe one of those years he was considered "off his game". But I would call it foolhardy to completely disavow that the National Football League is completely devoid of ethical deficiencies, considering the history of the organization.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And we'll never have that evidence. But we do know that in an organization where the main principals are overwhelmingly people of color, the higher echelons of leadership are resoundingly not.

Keep in mind Evero is NOT my first choice. Maybe he's had bad luck, maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe one of those years he was considered "off his game". But I would call it foolhardy to completely disavow that the National Football League is completely devoid of ethical deficiencies, considering the history of the organization.

Guilty until proven innocent. Great idea.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Barry sucks dude
They do the ABSOLUTE OPPOSITE thing then what they should do EVERYTIME I would 100% rather have Pettine than Barry... Barry is the WORST choice they can make his track record as a dc is GARBAGE

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you can wiretap every NFL Owner and Front Office, we'll NEVER know what happens behind closed doors.

But I know this, it doesn't make sense to hire a coach who has had ZERO verifiable success as either a DC or Position Coach over someone who has.

Unless.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts